• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Fix your PS5 HDR Settings. (HDTVTest)

BR4DOKYBrazil

Neo Member
I don't know the guy and I don't 100% follow his recommendations but the usage of DTM is a refreshing idea but ONLY if you also calibrate with DTM I guess

HGIG is relatively new and is created so a game and TV operate on the same settings. Like, You tell the game to output 800 nits and then you set tv to HGIG.
HGIG expect and REQUIRES you to have proper output from the game. It will cut off anything more than 800 nits (if that is max of your tv for example) and anything lower will be displayed properly.

Dynamic Tone Mapping just tries to use the most of your tv and works best with games without any calibration.
Be aware that 99.9% of games totally ignore ps5 hdr system level calibration. But the proper way to use DTM if you want to use it, is to calibrate that screen with DTM enabled it seems.
Or if a game is ignoring ps5 calibration but got it's own calibration screens and you still want to use DTM, the proper way would be to calibrate those screens with DTM. If the game gives you numbers,. then you can just max out the sliders when using DTM or put it at 4000 nits
Thank you very much for the reply! A few days ago, I was "playing" with the PS5 HDR calibration screen. I changed the values and entered games like Spiderman Miles Morales, Uncharted Thief Legacy and Horizon Forbidden West. At least in these three games, when I changed the calibration pattern on the PS5 dashboard, I completely changed the image within the games! So, as I noticed that the Vicent calibration left my image dark, I changed only the third step, increasing by 8 clicks from 0. It improved a lot.

I also saw some videos on the internet comparing DTM vs HGiG. Many of them have shown clipping in bright areas of the games using DTM ON, such as a Horizon Forbidden West flashlight, while in HGiG it was easy to notice more details in this flashlight. I also don't know if this person calibrated the HDR in both modes or just changed it from one to the other without calibrating.

rofif

Banned
Thank you very much for the reply! A few days ago, I was "playing" with the PS5 HDR calibration screen. I changed the values and entered games like Spiderman Miles Morales, Uncharted Thief Legacy and Horizon Forbidden West. At least in these three games, when I changed the calibration pattern on the PS5 dashboard, I completely changed the image within the games! So, as I noticed that the Vicent calibration left my image dark, I changed only the third step, increasing by 8 clicks from 0. It improved a lot.

I also saw some videos on the internet comparing DTM vs HGiG. Many of them have shown clipping in bright areas of the games using DTM ON, such as a Horizon Forbidden West flashlight, while in HGiG it was easy to notice more details in this flashlight. I also don't know if this person calibrated the HDR in both modes or just changed it from one to the other without calibrating.
Most internet sources praise HGIG because it is "more accurate" but I have my doubts about that.
lol You were lucky to find so many games using ps5 system level calibration! Even Horizon is not using it afaik.
I am playing uncharted 4 right now. It's not using any calibration and don't have any in game. DTM does wonders to this game.

BR4DOKYBrazil

Neo Member
Most internet sources praise HGIG because it is "more accurate" but I have my doubts about that.
lol You were lucky to find so many games using ps5 system level calibration! Even Horizon is not using it afaik.
I am playing uncharted 4 right now. It's not using any calibration and don't have any in game. DTM does wonders to this game.
So the ideal would be to set DTM ON, recalibrate the HDR through the PS5 dashboard, making the sun disappear in the first two steps. And what do I do in the third step? 0 clicks or slightly visible?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
CX owner and I do NOT recommend this. I get FAR better results by sticking to PS5 calibration instructions with HGiG enabled. I remember following this guy's instructions way back and wondering why GoW Ragnarok especially looked like a foggy mess with so much overexposure.

BR4DOKYBrazil

Neo Member
CX owner and I do NOT recommend this. I get FAR better results by sticking to PS5 calibration instructions with HGiG enabled. I remember following this guy's instructions way back and wondering why GoW Ragnarok especially looked like a foggy mess with so much overexposure.
We're screwed hahahaha! I swear I don't know what to do or what is the best option!

Bojji

Yeah I prefer HGiG overall but sometimes DTP produces better results.

How about you decide by yourself by testing both?

Exactly.

Does dynamic tone mapping add input lag?

I doubt it.

BR4DOKYBrazil

Neo Member
I tested Death Stranding in DTM ON and found it very brilliant, losing the cinematic aspect of the game. It gives the impression that it even increases the sharpness of the game.

Aaron Olive

So the ideal would be to set DTM ON, recalibrate the HDR through the PS5 dashboard, making the sun disappear in the first two steps. And what do I do in the third step? 0 clicks or slightly visible?
25/25/0 DTM On

My Settings

Game optimizer-RPG
Black Stabilizer-10
White Stabilizer-9

Mode-Game Optimizer
Oled-100
Contrast-100
Screen Brightness-50
HDR Tone Mapping-On

Black Level-Auto

Color
Color Depth-70
Tint-0
Color Gamut-Native
Fine Tune-Color Upgrade-High
White Balance-Warm 2

Clarity
Adjust Sharpness-50
Super Resolution-Off

Aspect Ratio-Original
Just Scan-On

General/Devices/HDMI Settings/HDMI Deep Color-4K
Support/OLED Care/Device Self Care/Energy Saving/Energy Saving Step-Off
Support/OLED Care/OLED Panel Care/Adjust Logo Brightness-Off
on PS5 leave everything auto for video.

on TV goto web browser http://webosapp.club/instart/ it will ask for code 0413
goto 12.OLED turn off TPC Enable and Turn off GSR Enable press Home

Last edited:

BR4DOKYBrazil

Neo Member
Yes, many times it produces results more pleasing to eyes. But it doesn't meany it's "better":

Really, watching this video of Vicent, the best option would be HGiG itself. Thank you very much for sharing this video with us. I will do the calibration until the sun disappears on the first two screens and, on the third screen, I will leave 8 clicks above, otherwise some games get too dark, such as Horizon Forbbiden West.

I’m still confused… I have the Samsung q90t and I want to do 18 clicks for 1500 nit.

Do I make the logo invisible and do 18 clicks or do I make the logo visible and do the clicks for screens 1 and 2 ?

Last edited:

Bojji

I’m still confused… I have the Samsung q90t and I want to do 18 clicks for 1500 nit.

Do I make the logo invisible and do 18 clicks or do I make the logo visible and do the clicks for screens 1 and 2 ?

Samsung have some form of HGiG I think... You should make logo invisible, this will give you maximum brightness for highlights.

Top Bottom