• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PSA] If you can't see a noticeable difference between 1080p and native 4K, then you sit too far from your TV.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
And that's what I mean - we can't compare newgen 1080p with lastgen 1080p, because newgen GPU's have the power to upsample/upscale and add more post processing.

The 1080p Vs 4K debate is dead. - or extremely close to be.
if it was true (difference dying off), guardians or dying light 2 would not look like shit on 1080p.
Sadly, on consoles, majority of games are not doing it right. DLSS and pc is another topic.
Checkerboarding was doing pretty good job last gen too. Sadly no use of it this gen somehow

8BiTw0LF

Banned
if it was true (difference dying off), guardians or dying light 2 would not look like shit on 1080p.
Sadly, on consoles, majority of games are not doing it right. DLSS and pc is another topic.
Checkerboarding was doing pretty good job last gen too. Sadly no use of it this gen somehow
There's a small amount of developers who's still not up for the task, but with UE5 becoming the new standard, we will see big differences in the near future.

I'm just glad to have a monitor with built-in integer scaling to handle everything sub-4K 😛

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There's a small amount of developers who's still not up for the task, but with UE5 becoming the new standard, we will see big differences in the near future.

I'm just glad to have a monitor with built-in integer scaling to handle everything sub-4K 😛
really?! Integer scaling is now built-in monitors ?!
I was fighting for integer scaling in my 4k monitor days like crazy. I had the biggest reddit topic ever on this after which nvidia introduced it finally in the driver :p

8BiTw0LF

Banned
really?! Integer scaling is now built-in monitors ?!
I was fighting for integer scaling in my 4k monitor days like crazy. I had the biggest reddit topic ever on this after which nvidia introduced it finally in the driver :p
Yes, the Eve Spectrum is the first monitor with integer scaling.

James Franco GIF

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm playing on a 28 inch 4K monitor and anything 1440p and lower is very noticeable to me.

For example, Rift Apart is 1440p in it's Performance RT mode and the image was just too soft for me and to make matters worse, the extra frames only highlighted how soft it is. However, playing it in Fidelity mode really made the game look gorgeous. It's so crisp and the motion blur plus lower frame rate gives it that CG movie-like quality.

So maybe for the people who say they can't tell a difference between 1080p and 4K are just sitting way too far away from their screen or they don't have the proper screen size for the distance they view it from.

For example, in my living room, I have a 65 inch Samsung Q70R, but we sit so far from it that I can't see any difference between 1080p content and 4K. I even cancelled my 4K Netflix plan because its pointless to push those extra pixels if you can't tell that they're there.

When I watch content or play games on my monitor, the difference is astounding and 1080p looks very low res and ugly to me.... then add 60fps to the mix and it just makes the ugliness stand out even more.

Some people just don't have sharp vision. I notice the difference but if the final product looks amazing enough I'm not bothered. For example Returnal is 1080p upscaled to 4K, and overall it looks wonderful.

Hunnybun

Which is the ideal distance for a 55” TV (LG CX)… minimum e maximum?

I find 1x to something like 1.25x screen size you'll notice quite a big difference between 4k and say 1440p.

Much more than that I can't tell much difference, it's marginal.

The actual recommended distance of 1.5x, I genuinely can't tell the difference.

So for a 55", if you really want to enjoy 4k content I'd say around 1.5m or so, or a bit more.

If you want to enjoy 60fps without missing the 4k too much, maybe 1.75m minimum.

ethomaz

Banned
I find 1x to something like 1.25x screen size you'll notice quite a big difference between 4k and say 1440p.

Much more than that I can't tell much difference, it's marginal.

The actual recommended distance of 1.5x, I genuinely can't tell the difference.

So for a 55", if you really want to enjoy 4k content I'd say around 1.5m or so, or a bit more.

If you want to enjoy 60fps without missing the 4k too much, maybe 1.75m minimum.
1 to 1.5 meter is around what I seat to play games... 1080p games indeed looks too pixeled in the 4k TV.
I wonder if it worth to miss detail and believe it is a better imagem playing after 2 meters :unsure: (I need to take in consideration screen text going far away too).

Last edited:

Hunnybun

1 to 1.5 meter is around what I seat to play games... 1080p games indeed looks too pixeled in the 4k TV.
I wonder if it worth to miss detail and believe it is a better imagem playing after 2 meters :unsure: (I need to take in consideration screen text going far away too).

I'd say it depends mostly on if you mind playing 30fps? Cos so far almost all 30fps games have been 4k or very close to it, in which case sitting close is going to look great. I don't have that option because I hate 30fps.

OP, when viewing content at a lower res on a native 4K tv it’ll be more blurry than compared to a native 1440p or 1080p monitor.

When you have an actual 1440p 28 inch monitor side by side with a 4K 28 inch monitor you’ll notice that the difference is minimal.

Topher

Gold Member
Playing a game at 1080p on a 1080p monitor is always going to look better than playing a game at 1080p on a 4K monitor.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Playing a game at 1080p on a 1080p monitor is always going to look better than playing a game at 1080p on a 4K monitor.
Yep. I had this glossy 27” 1080p IPs hp27ea. Only 60hz but the best 1080p monitor ever for console gaming last gen.

Obviously, but 4K looks noticeably better than 1080p and with most games being higher than 1080p, you’re really missing out on a lot of detail by only using 1080p displays.

Topher

Gold Member
Obviously, but 4K looks noticeably better than 1080p and with most games being higher than 1080p, you’re really missing out on a lot of detail by only using 1080p displays.

Yep. As others have said, 1440p is really the sweet spot for best visuals and performance. Native 4k isn't worth the hit to frame rate, imo. Personally, I love what consoles have done with upscaling and DRS to get the best bang for the buck.

Kerotan

A big issue, for TVs at least, is that people have it in Vivid/Dynamic or they have sharpening and/or "AI upscaling" turned on, max contrast, contrast enhancers that increase gamma and colour enhancements. All of those things will make it harder to tell the difference between 1440p and 2160p on a 2160p display because you're removing detail if you add too much and too much is anything more than a tiny amount.
Especially on a Sony. I sit over 2 metres away and can't tell much difference on my 55".

Tschumi

Seems like your message re: R&C is more "artful 30fps can look better than clumsy 60fps" than seating distance

ReBurn

Gold Member
Most of my gaming is about 2 meters away from a 75" Samsung 4K TV. I also play about one meter away from a 43" 1080p TV. I can't tell the difference because my eyesight sucks.

I game on ultrawide 1440p monitor from less than a meter away. It's lovely.

I game on a 4k TV from about 2 meters away. Its lovely.

Can't tell the difference. Too busy enjoying the games I play I guess.

1080p still looks bad on a 4k tv if you're sitting further away. It just doesn't look good on a 4k tv

Ev1L AuRoN

To notice 4k you have to sit very close to your tv/monitor, and in movement is even worse to tel any difference. I like 4k, but I have absolutely no problem with the game consoles upscale their games, for me is good enough.

Playing in 4k native is wasteful, there are a lot more things that make the game better than 4k native.

Higher FPS, Better Effects, RT, nicer shadows and the list goes on. And the softness you perceive has a lot to do with how your display upscaled the image, interpolation is usually the culprit. 1080p upscale to 4k using integer scaller is very sharp, nowhere near as sharp as 4k native, but it is as good as a 1080p native display.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
A 32” 4K? Do you sit at a desk or back on a couch/relaxed seat?

What monitor you have?
Sit in front of the desk.

Its a monitor manufactured from Singapore, not a really well known brand i guess?

Seems like your message re: R&C is more "artful 30fps can look better than clumsy 60fps" than seating distance
When my wife played rift apart in performance RT, it looked fine. I couldn’t tell it was 1440p.

On my monitor, it was clear as day that it was 1440p and it was just a soft image.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I game on 32 monitor, so the difference is not noticeable.

I also game on a 32 inch 4K monitor, and I feel like the drop in clarity from games running at much higher resolutions to 1080p is pretty obvious to me.

It's a work style desk so I'm sitting pretty close to the screen.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I also game on a 32 inch 4K monitor, and I feel like the drop in clarity from games running at much higher resolutions to 1080p is pretty obvious to me.

It's a work style desk so I'm sitting pretty close to the screen.
I guess it applies to me personally, because i prefer 60fps, i think that makes a big difference in gameplay.

I tried to switch the resolution between quality and performance but i always switched back to performance.

Ratchet and clank is very nice in quality mode though, but i still prefer to play in performance mode.

SkylineRKR

4k is kind of useless for me since i'm about 2.5m from my TV, which is 55 inch. This is a normal viewing distance but for gaming this means i'm not going to see the difference between 1440p and 4k. I guess its worthwhile for those with 85 inch sets or those sitting within 1m.

kevm3

There is a bit of a clarity difference, but for me, the performance hit isn't worth it. I'd much rather have 1080p with improved lighting, physics or even framerate.

j0hnnix

With an 85", roughly sit 10ft away, I see the difference between the two. Yes, upscaling helps 1080 content but there is still noticeable differences at least from my distance/size. Would I take 1440/60fps yes but won't go any lower in resolution.

Top Bottom