• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Rebellion Makes Great AA Shooters

ManaByte

The Rebellion shooters have been on sale on PSN lately (Sniper Elite $90 edition for $9!!!!) and this is a reminder they make damn good AA shooters:

Strange Brigade
Probably the most under-appreciated game of the last gen. It's a co-op horde shooter with some light puzzle solving with amazing presentation where it's a 30s style serial complete with an announcer. Each level is unique. TONS of fun. Buy it next time it's on sale.

Sniper Elite 4
You can shoot Nazis in the balls with 3D killshot animations.

Zombie Army
Probably their weakest, but still fun. Zombie Army 4 does go out of control with the DLC though.

PLAY STRANGE BRIGADE!

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Sniper Elite is really good. Nazi Zombie Army is okay, but I never played it co-op which I assume would be more fun.

I loved their old Alien vs Predator PC game. I tried to play it again recently, but I felt the game didn't age well. Didn't want to ruin the good memories I had of it. 😂

GymWolf

Their ray-x vision in the sniper elite series got stale after a while, hopefully se5 is gonna have a major upgrade for that.

But yeah se4 was a neat stealth game on max difficulty.

Last edited:

Krafter

Strange Brigade is 5 bucks right now as part of the sale on US playstation store. Rebellion is pretty great, I'm in.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Sniper Elite VR is great too, especially after updates.

Co-op on Sniper Elite is among the best.

I haven't played Sniper Elite 4 yet (I own it) but I really enjoyed Sniper Elite 3. It is one of my favorite games on the PS4. Just an overall solid, fun game.

Yeah, coop Sniper Elite 4 is amazing. The series was cool before then, but 4 was when the environments really got huge and turned more into a sandbox than simply a linear level.

You can go crazy with the realism and stealth and all that, but honestly the game is just pure fun clearing out map with a friend, one pair of Nazi balls at a time.

Sniper Elite games just get better and better. I really liked Zombie Army 4. I thought the base game gave you enough content and the DLC was just in addition. Its still worth playing IMO.

bender

What time is it?
Nazi Zombies is not my cup of tea. Me and a buddy tried out the co-op and it went from an okay experience to miserable pretty quickly.

I haven't played Sniper Elite 4 yet (I own it) but I really enjoyed Sniper Elite 3. It is one of my favorite games on the PS4. Just an overall solid, fun game.

I love Elite 2 & 3. By the time 4 rolled around I think I was just tired of the formula.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Nazi Zombies is not my cup of tea. Me and a buddy tried out the co-op and it went from an okay experience to miserable pretty quickly.
I'm generally not a fan of these horde shooters and Zombie Army games are no different. Friends and I give them a shot and always get bored quickly. We have more fun looking for secret bottles to shoot.

bender

What time is it?
I'm generally not a fan of these horde shooters and Zombie Army games are no different. Friends and I give them a shot and always get bored quickly. We have more fun looking for secret bottles to shoot.

I game engine focused around sniping and hordes of zombies just doesn't gel in my head. haha

carlosrox

Banned
Nazi Zombie Army
Probably their weakest

What? Those games are awesome!

I've only played the first two but they are seriously great!

The music which goes for an old school 80s vibe is fucking 🔥 ! Total John Carpenter feel!

Last edited:

skit_data

Oh shit they made that game, it was amazing.
playing as marine encountering aliens was nerve wrecking.
They made the Atari Jaguar AvP as well. Pretty much only AvP 2 wasn’t made by them, it was made by Monolith and it wasn’t anywhere near as scary as AvP 1999.

VN1X

Banned
The Rebellion shooters have been on sale on PSN lately (Sniper Elite $90 edition for $9!!!!) and this is a reminder they make damn good AA shooters:

Strange Brigade
Probably the most under-appreciated game of the last gen. It's a co-op horde shooter with some light puzzle solving with amazing presentation where it's a 30s style serial complete with an announcer. Each level is unique. TONS of fun. Buy it next time it's on sale.

Sniper Elite 4

Zombie Army
Probably their weakest, but still fun. Zombie Army 4 does go out of control with the DLC though.

PLAY STRANGE BRIGADE!
Dude. You are the GOAT for this post. I absolutely rinsed Strange Brigade and it's, in my opinion, easily their best work yet. It doesn't overstay its welcome, remains super satisfying to play from start to finish and is also one of those rare titles manages to look great throughout but doesn't do so at the cost of performance. I played it in a crew of 4 and it ran flawlessly for all of us at high video settings.

The only gripe I have with Strange Brigade that it's a bit on the easy side, even on the highest difficulty settings. But yeah otherwise I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who is looking for an incredibly fun co-op shooter. Me and my gf absolutely loved it. :lollipop_grinning:

I was hoping Zombie Army 4 was secretly Strange Brigade in disguise but alas, it was not to be. It's kind of amazing that they keep pumping out these 'okay' Zombie Army games when we should be getting more SB ffs.

Last edited:

Strange Brigade

Sniper Elite 4

Zombie Army

PLAY STRANGE BRIGADE!
Rebellion Developments on the whole have been competent as a developer, but there's a lot of praise being heaped upon Strange Brigade. It was basically a reskinned version of 'Zombie Army Trilogy' set within Egypt and had little content for the full asking price. Sniper Elite and it's sister series of Zombie Army have always been fun coop games, but they don't have a large multiplayer following.

I like AvP1999's arcade gameplay but AvP2 is better in almost everything else and aged better.
I will always remember AvP 1999 for some of its insane details.

Water and explosions were 3D modeled (try tossing a grenade into tunnels or air vents). The Predator's spear gun could do precision stuff like dismembering specific parts of aliens and marines, pinning marines to walls by their clothes or just shooting out their guns and watching them run around panicking.

VN1X

Banned
Just waiting for a sale on Switch so I can buy it again.

Does that version come with cross-play or nah?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Nazi Zombie games have such a great gameplay loop. I really enjoyed AvP (2010) and Strange Brigade as well. Definitely an overlooked developer.

Always enjoyed Rebellion games (y) Could do with some renewed focus on 2000AD games tho, it's been a while since Rogue Trooper & Judge Dredd

CitizenZ

Banned
Rebellion is a AAA studio, make no mistake, and they have the same mistake as everyone else with a long running franchise, they are stale AF and just skating on named properties.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Never a great big awesome studio, but they've done a lot of lesser stuff that's super fun, and they had a great moment as the AvP team that sadly could not last.

They also are owners of the 2000AD comic line, and they were able to make a few games of those properties, recently there was talk of that starting up again but I haven't seen signs yet in games; there's movement on a new Dredd show and Rogue Trooper movie and we'll see how that goes.

I really enjoyed having them around in the PSP era, as a big fish in a small pond doing some quicky-but-burly license titles and ports. They did the PSP Russia from Love, Dead to Rights Reckoning, Gun Showdown, the Miami Vice movie game, the AvP Requiem (a character-action game unfortunately,) the non-HD version of The Simpsons Game, one of the Harry Potters, and then of course the three Star Wars Battlefront games (a II port, Renegade Squadron, and Elite Squadron.) Their engine was a nice overreach on the meager PSP (I believe a lot of it was running on some form of the same Rogue Trooper engine, which was a labor of love and kind of Gears for those who had to settle for a PS2... the tech looked/ran pretty good even on the portable, plus that stop-and-pop mechanic actually worked well on PSP with only one analog stick, so they replicated it a number of times,) and it was good at the time to have a studio just churning out titles that punched a bit about the PSP's weight. The second two PSP Star Wars games actually were outright impressive, with online and massive levels and eventually land-to-space transitions, maybe they could have continued to push the system but that was the end and they never transitioned to Vita or 3DS. Some crap in their library, not even the best of it was "classic" even in the portable space, but I was happy to have them on a platform that needed some experienced support.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good on Rebellion. I didn't know they were the ones who started out making Jaguar games. They must had had low overhead because for almost 20 years it doesn't look like the games they made sold much at all and most games people probably never heard of before. But last 10 years, their Sniper games review and sell well. Good on them for sticking around and not closing up shop.

ManaByte

Bumping this because Strange Brigade with all DLC is on sale on XB for $8. BUY IT.

Top Bottom