• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Remember your sunscreen

Mistake

Today was a fine day to run around and get some yard work done. I was out for maybe four hours, and while I wore a long shirt, it didn’t stop my neck from getting burned. I honestly didn’t think it was hot enough here in the north east US for that yet, but lesson learned I guess. I put a ton of aloe on, so hopefully it heals up quick.

As I’ve gotten older, I start to realize how important the right kind of clothes can be. What are some good recommendations for guys that don’t make me look like a walking tent?

Last edited:

OOGABOOGA

Banned
squid-game-red-light-green-light.gif

FunkMiller

My go to sun protection has always been a baseball cap, t-shirt, boardies and beach shoes. Of course along with a whole shit load of factor 50. Haven't been sunburned in many years while here in Oz. In the UK, you can only dream of getting sunburn, and sunscreen is looked upon as a strange and magically foreign substance.

Today was a fine day to run around and get some yard work done. I was out for maybe four hours, and while I wore a long shirt, it didn’t stop my neck from getting burned. I honestly didn’t think it was hot enough here in the north east US for that yet, but lesson learned I guess. I put a ton of aloe on, so hopefully it heals up quick.

As I’ve gotten older, I start to realize how important the right kind of clothes can be. What are some good recommendations for guys that don’t make me look like a walking tent?
Username checks out...

Jokes aside: I only put sunscreen if I'm going to be out for more than, say, 3 or 4 hours in the hot blistering sun the entire time. But even then, I just put on some sunscreen and wear my regular stuff. I'm dark skinned so I'm much less prone to burn than, say, a pale redhead 😂

Way ahead of you.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
My go to sun protection has always been a baseball cap, t-shirt, boardies and beach shoes. Of course along with a whole shit load of factor 50. Haven't been sunburned in many years while here in Oz. In the UK, you can only dream of getting sunburn, and sunscreen is looked upon as a strange and magically foreign substance.

Got the worst sunburn of my life in the Uk. Was so swollen I couldn't see my ancles anymore. So I categorically disagree with your asdessment.

Boss Mog

Use a zinc oxide based sunscreen or something else that is natural (mineral based). Most of the sunscreens use shit cancer-causing synthetic chemicals to achieve the UV blocking.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I wish I had worn it when I was younger. It is starting to take a toll on my skin quality. I am wearing it everyday now and hoping to reverse some of the damage.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
As someone who was forced to stay outside when younger, I had really bad cases of skin cancer over the years. Got more than 100 sutures. So yeah, wear sunscreen daily.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wear sunscreen everyday. We don’t truly understand just how bad UV lights are. I’ve seen a bunch of people post online here in town about having to get white and dark skin patches removed from their face due to sun exposure. It’s not just the summer months. It’s all year round. Always wear a sun hat, glasses, and apply sun screen to your exposed body parts.

This picture made me change my mind. The man was a trucker, meaning only part of his face was exposed to the sun. Imagine getting skin cancer because you were driving a lot. I bet we see a lot more cases of skin cancer.

8-ED6047-E-014-C-457-E-B05-B-027-D89-D4-E371.webp

Allforce

I always wear it if I'm going to be out for more than an hour. Of course I grew up in the 80s when nobody did, hell people put suntan OIL on back then.

Lost my dad a few years back, he had skin cancer, little lesion on his arm that he caught pretty early and had removed but that was enough for it to spread to his brain a few years later and kill him.

I learned during that time that skin cancer is the #1 precursor to brain cancer and it's all from sun exposure. It starts on your skin, spreads to your lymph nodes and heads right to the brain and that's about the end of you at that point. So yeah, now I wear sunscreen.

Mistake

I always wear it if I'm going to be out for more than an hour. Of course I grew up in the 80s when nobody did, hell people put suntan OIL on back then.

Lost my dad a few years back, he had skin cancer, little lesion on his arm that he caught pretty early and had removed but that was enough for it to spread to his brain a few years later and kill him.

I learned during that time that skin cancer is the #1 precursor to brain cancer and it's all from sun exposure. It starts on your skin, spreads to your lymph nodes and heads right to the brain and that's about the end of you at that point. So yeah, now I wear sunscreen.
I think another hard part about all this, is that most people don’t even know what to look for. Sorry for your loss

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

Exact same thing happened with my mom.

Top Bottom