• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: The Switch Now has the Best Folders of Any Console

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm not sure if many people have actually tried this since it's a little hidden in the System UI, but I spent almost all night last night organizing my games and this is by far the best folder system I've ever used on a console.

As someone with over 200 Switch games, this is proving essential for owning and using the system. Some of my personal highlights were that you can put a game in multiple folders. You can have MarioKart in a Nintendo folder, and also put it in a Racing folder. Also, you can very easily edit the folders after they are created and the UI is extremely clear, showing the games already in the folder and then filtered for all the games left outside the folder. In addition you can search for games while adding to the folders with keywords or titles. Just searching for "Nintendo" pulled up almost all the first party games. After making my first few folders, I was finding games I'd almost forgotten about, and this will make it 10x easier to find things to play. Party games folder for when your friends come over, retro gaming folder for all those NeoGeo games you got on sale. It's great.

Nintendo-Switch-Groups.png

1. "Scroll to the right in the main menu, until you see the option “All the programs”.
  2. Once you’re in here you’ll see all the games you’ve installed on your Nintendo Switch. Press the L button to access the “Create Groups” option.
  3. The first time you use this option you will be able to select the games directly, for the following ones you will have to press the + button.
  4. Choose all those games that you want to gather in your folder. If you want to use some filter, press R.
  5. When you’re done choosing the games you want in the folder, press Continue and order them according to your preference order to appear on the cover of the folder.
  6. Finally, name the folder whatever you want. Once you finish the process, you will have it available in your Groups menu."

anthony2690

Banned
This folder system actually looks pretty damn neat.
I quite like the tab system on Xbox, but this looks better (assuming it doesn't cap how many items can be listed, like Xbox does annoyingly)

Banned
uh... I like the Pin Groups on Xbox better since I don't have to go into my games library to see them and I can pin them right to my start screen if I want. I also can see them from the sidebar in-game to instantly switch games

🤷‍♂️

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
uh... I like the Pin Groups on Xbox better since I don't have to go into my games library to see them and I can pin them right to my start screen if I want. I also can see them from the sidebar in-game to instantly switch games

🤷‍♂️

Yeah I barely use the home screen. Works great.

Codes 208

But there's no keyword search on those, and you can't put the same game in multiple folders. That changes everything!
Truth, but is that really a needed feature? I have halo infinite in my XSX game group (which is in alphabetical order and requires no folder opening to find) which is generally how i prefer it

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I'm not sure if many people have actually tried this since it's a little hidden in the System UI, but I spent almost all night last night organizing my games and this is by far the best folder system I've ever used on a console.

As someone with over 200 Switch games, this is proving essential for owning and using the system. Some of my personal highlights were that you can put a game in multiple folders. You can have MarioKart in a Nintendo folder, and also put it in a Racing folder. Also, you can very easily edit the folders after they are created and the UI is extremely clear, showing the games already in the folder and then filtered for all the games left outside the folder. In addition you can search for games while adding to the folders with keywords or titles. Just searching for "Nintendo" pulled up almost all the first party games. After making my first few folders, I was finding games I'd almost forgotten about, and this will make it 10x easier to find things to play. Party games folder for when your friends come over, retro gaming folder for all those NeoGeo games you got on sale. It's great.

"Scroll to the right in the main menu, until you see the option “All the programs”.
  1. Once you’re in here you’ll see all the games you’ve installed on your Nintendo Switch. Press the L button to access the “Create Groups” option.
  2. The first time you use this option you will be able to select the games directly, for the following ones you will have to press the + button.
  3. Choose all those games that you want to gather in your folder. If you want to use some filter, press R.
  4. When you’re done choosing the games you want in the folder, press Continue and order them according to your preference order to appear on the cover of the folder.
  5. Finally, name the folder whatever you want. Once you finish the process, you will have it available in your Groups menu."
I was looking for this EXACT thing on my PS5, thanks for pointing this out. I remember reading about it in their update notes but didn't give it a second thought.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Truth, but is that really a needed feature? I have halo infinite in my XSX game group (which is in alphabetical order and requires no folder opening to find) which is generally how i prefer it
This one can be sorted to any order, not just alphabetical. Freedom.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
They need a way to get to them easier from the home screen.

Otherwise, I agree with OP it's pretty great. Especially for people like me who keep the cartridge games "installed", which means I have like a hundred things on my "all games" screen.

Max_Po

Banned
It does not, can you have FOLDERs on the main XMB ? likes PS3 or PS4 ?

You can't copy if you are FLOPPY ...

Last edited:

Dr Bass

It's still quicker to get to them when they're in your home page. So this makes the Switch's implementation the worst out of the bunch.
Ridiculous.

It makes sense for the "home page" to show what you're recently playing. You're FAR more likely to just be playing games on that list anyway.

"How to get to folders from the home page."

1. Left. A button. L trigger.

Perfect, and like I said. Takes about 1 second.

People complaining about this have no idea what they are talking about. Putting folders on the Home Screen would make accessing your most recently played games slower, which is what you will want the vast majority of the time.

People will complain about everything on this board. Even super simple, clean features like this.

sainraja

On their feature roadmap I am sure displaying folders on the main screen is on there. The main screen is basically the recently used area and a group can be a last used item. Nintendo is basically allow the group name to be work basically like tagging.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
If you could move the games from the main pages 'all software' and put into folders than it would be great. But even if you move into folders they are still in your 'recently played' list.

ZoukGalaxy

PSA: NO
spongebob squarepants bullshit GIF

PSA 2: Loving something doesn't make it a truth or a fact for everyone.

PSA 3: Are we on reddit now with all those stupid non-PSA ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom