• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR 2 Update Rolled Out, Here’s What It Does

XXL

"Folks on Reddit have also noticed an improved image quality, especially when playing Horizon: Call of the Mountain and Gran Turismo 7."
Say Word Reaction GIF by Justin

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
"Folks on Reddit have also noticed an improved image quality, especially when playing Horizon: Call of the Mountain and Gran Turismo 7."
Been on Reddit. Can’t see where people are saying it. On one thread there people are saying they read it elsewhere But no mention where.

Kilau

Gold Member
Horizon also had an update yesterday, but unless it’s stated I’m always doubtful of these image quality claims.

XXL

That was posted after the original news story was put up but… I did find some posts earlier where people did think they saw improvements But weren’t sure.
It literally just came out, but I've seen a few people claiming this on various places. We should get some confirmation soon.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Horizon also had an update yesterday, but unless it’s stated I’m always doubtful of these image quality claims.
Yeah. I looked at RE8 this morning post-update and while I thought it looked less jaggy I may have just been misremembering what it looked like. Image improvement from a fw update and not a game patch implies system-level fix and you’d expect potentially all games to be improved.

cormack12

Gold Member
Yeah gonna be hard to unpick

I had the beta ps5 software and the image in CotM was up and down
I've had the PSVR2 update and the CotM update and the IQ is really good, at least a 50% increase imo. But I think general viewing in PSVR2 has improved too.

I've had the PSVR2 update and the CotM update and the IQ is really good, at least a 50% increase imo. But I think general viewing in PSVR2 has improved too.
50% better IQ would be some enormous gains. Would be absolutely great if true! Imagine everyone was already wowed with the pre-patch, can only imagine how it looks after-patch. I'll try it tonight after work :).

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah. I looked at RE8 this morning post-update and while I thought it looked less jaggy I may have just been misremembering what it looked like. Image improvement from a fw update and not a game patch implies system-level fix and you’d expect potentially all games to be improved.

Depends, if it is fixing sub-native games then the ones running 120fps or w/o reprojection and native res may not see any improvements. All games mentioned so far are sub-native, but still would be surprising for such a big improvement - guess I'll see as well later tonight!

mckmas8808

Banned

That's impressive then. WOW!

scydrex

Someone please try nms to see how it's now. Still Hello Games still needs to improve the game for psvr2 but if this update improve the game even better.

Last edited:
Horizon COTM, Pavlov and Zombieland all have improved fidelity.

I'm going to guess EVERY game has increased fidelity.
Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals
Can anyone try if the puzzling places game has improved fidelity? I found the puzzle pieces in the distance quite unsharp.

we need a lot of people confirming this. It could still be placebo, not saying yall IS wrong or talking shit, but this kinda stuff used to happen way back when devs didn't release full patch notes

XXL

we need a lot of people confirming this. It could still be placebo, not saying yall IS wrong or talking shit, but this kinda stuff used to happen way back when devs didn't release full patch notes
No problem!

But Ill just say it is definitely not a placebo. If I had to guess they fixed the issue with reprojection and the image is now more stable.

I encourage everyone to try it out for themselves, it is instantly noticeable. You don't have to look for it.

Ronin_7

Banned
Strange... Tried to update the headset but nothing happened... Now it doesn't ask to update and I can't see the version it is at all.

Classic Sony.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Has anyone taken a look at NMS to see if there are any improvements? I'm not expecting much from this if indeed it is not all due to placebo/good ole wishful thinking as it would deffo take a dev patch to bump up the res.

Killer8

I'll wait for an analysis from someone like DF. There are always people who swear improvements online when really they are imagining it.

If they improved the image quality in Horizon, does it mean they fixed their reprojection algorithm?
I'd say it could be general performance API improvements as GT7 seems to be also higher res. My guess is that they could have improved foveate rendering performance and display a even higher resolution for the eyes targets.

That's just speculation of course but that's something I could see them improving as this seems to be managed by PSVR2 API.

Last edited:
Top Bottom