• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR 2 Will Use Tobii Eye Tracking, Company Confirms

Melon Husk

Sony lowering the cost of eye-tracking headsets thanks to big volume production like Microsoft did for depth cameras with Kinect.

Big news!

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It's right on the first page and some are the first posts dude. How hard is it to read the thread?....

My first impressions :
Crazy Eyes Loco GIF by Gnomo

Sorry, sound didn't upload.
🤭

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Where?

And jeez, u posts all those GIFs just because your butthurt over my post for some insane reason.
Lol take a chill pill mate, the gifs are the eye tracking tech first impressions impressions _ it was a joke. I even implied it in the end of the post, here's my first impression... Iu the butthurt lol

Shmunter

Over and above foveated rendering for improved fidelity, this sort of eye tracking will allow for super precise interaction with objects.

Think to the levels of choosing a marble out of a jar. With old tech it would just stick an object to your virtual hand based on some predictions - and design had to consider object density in the world to avoid frustration, now it will know exactly what you’re wanting based on your eye.

Probably a lot more that can be leveraged we haven’t even considered yet.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Lol take a chill pill mate, the gifs are the eye tracking tech first impressions impressions _ it was a joke. I even implied it in the end of the post, here's my first impression... Iu the butthurt lol

Yeah, sorry i didnt realize u were quoting gifs actually from the thread, i edited my post but not quickly enough.

Wonko_C

Over and above foveated rendering for improved fidelity, this sort of eye tracking will allow for super precise interaction with objects.

Think to the levels of choosing a marble out of a jar. With old tech it would just stick an object to your virtual hand based on some predictions - and design had to consider object density in the world to avoid frustration, now it will know exactly what you’re wanting based on your eye.

Probably a lot more that can be leveraged we haven’t even considered yet.
Yes, things like these seem to be better uses than "gaze aiming" like some kind of super man's heat vision. Most of the time you aim down the sights of the virtual gun that is in your hand and you don't need eye tracking for that.

ABnormal

Imagine being in a western game and shooting with the precision of Clint Eastwood in those old movies. You can hit a coin tossed in the air among many tossed at the same time, or the gun of the one bandit you wanted to hit first when you drew your revolver and shot from the hip. You wander how you can shoot so well. The game must be cheating in some way, and it is: when you pull the trigger pointing at a general direction the game knows were you were looking at that precise moment and changes the bullet's trajectory slightly to create the illusion of marksmanship.
That would be really cool and the only possible solution for living the fantasy of a bullseye gunman without faking it with slo-mo tricks!

ABnormal

Is VR still relevant? Feels like a gimmick that still isn’t ready .. like 3D tv. I applaud that they are innovative with this , but I rather leave that to other companies for when it’s ready for convenient use in gaming . I rather see the money spend on great normal games .
I have read this thing many times, and it doesn't make any sense: 3D on TVs is just a passive perception of depht in a predetermined show, whereas VR is an active mean to actively interact visually and mechanically with a 3D SPACE. It's exactly what you can do in any game, but with potential interaction elevated to cubic potence. It depends by developers and money. You can do simple roller coasters or things like Alix, or MUCH more. Standardization of controllers is vital for that.

Gusy

This may be the first in a consumer VR headset? I think the article said it's being used in something though. Gotta go back and read it again, ugh.

Edit: looks like it's being used in headsets I never heard of. Wonder if anyone here got to experience it.

I think that in foveated rendering, the right hardware/tech is just the tip of the iceberg. The real magic is going to happen software side.. and there is where I'm betting that Sony's R&D investment is going to bring real results. I hope

Top Bottom