• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 hands-on articles and videos are dropping

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hmm, I didn't realize most were using the left stick for movement and right for camera control like non-VR games — ones I have seen/tried had you teleporting for movement which I think is not the right way to do movement.

Most games have both options. Teleport movement is better for people who tend to get nauseous by movement in VR (when that movement is disconnected from their actual body's movement), but free movement is much more immersive. I luckily have no VR sickness (never had, not even when first trying it), so I always choose free movement whenever available, which it usually is.

Last edited:

tommib

Game Show Wheel GIF by ABC Network

Curious how much it costs, and how much Horizon costs.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Even in the IGN video the guy states that Steam's controller allows you to physcially grip the controller instead of holding a button.

Yeah, those controllers are different, you strap them to your hands so that they stay on even if you're not actually holding onto them, allowing for actual gripping input. That's not how most other VR controllers work, including these. You have to actually hold them, so gripping needs to be done through a separate action. But I've never felt that this feels unnatural on the Quest (those controllers work the same way), using the grip button very quickly becomes second nature.

Last edited:

BlackTron

PSVR1 had a lot of software I really wanted, the performance just wasn't there yet. I have one, and a lot of the games, I just failed to use it beyond a fleeting novelty.

I really still want to know if it will be backwards compatible and if the old games will be buffed in any way.

sainraja

Most games have both options. Teleport movement is better for people who tend to get nauseous by movement in VR (when that movement is disconnected from their actual body's movement), but free movement is much more immersive. I luckily have no VR sickness (never had, not even when first trying it), so I always choose free movement whenever available, which it usually is.
I haven't tried many VR games so maybe that is why I didn't realize that. I do get nauseous but I don't like teleport movement so maybe VR will never be for me!

Not official from Sony. Do it would b3 under embargo. Also don't need to worry is a USB cable it should work with pc just fine
PS VR 1 also worked on PC via Trinus. At least that's what it promises. But I can't trust and pay some third party hack even though they tell me to try before I buy. So official compatibility to Meta, SteamVR, or whatever exists in the PC space would be much better this time.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thinking about it, I'm not sure why he was saying his hands were cramping up. Surely it is just like the quest controller then.

Looking forward to when we get closer to launch and have a better idea on titles and the hardware...think ill wait a bit to see how it pans out but may pick up day one if they nail it.
Most of these officites aren't used to working (or working out) with their hands, thus they cramp faster than those who are.

GHG

Gold Member
Even in the IGN video the guy states that Steam's controller allows you to physcially grip the controller instead of holding a button.

That's an option because of the design of the controllers, it's not a standard way of handling items in VR. If you let go of any other VR controller controller where does it go?

Sometimes wonder if some of you actually have experience with VR before talking.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's an option because of the design of the controllers, it's not a standard way of handling items in VR. If you let go of any other VR controller controller where does it go?

Sometimes wonder if some of you actually have experience with VR before talking.
You know the answer.

Reactions: GHG
Man the ign preview was hype-deflating for me - can’t tell if it was intentionally being negative or not

Last edited:
I curse nature for depriving me of 80% of my eyesight on my right eye...I can't experience VR or 3D glasses for that matter, as I lack depth perception. Fuck! 😔
Hey, brother, have you tried VR? I've got a lazy, legally blind left eye, enough that I can see colors and shapes but depth perception is negatively impacted. I love VR--theres still the head-tracking and hand controls that puts it above flat-screen games

Put it this way: VR will be about as realistic as your day-to-day experience going about the real world, since you lack depth perception in both!

Last edited:

Crayon

I have not, honestly...I thought it would be similar to wearing 3D glasses? Not all hope is lost... 😀

Unless it specifically agitates your condition, you should get other core vr effects. Even some depth effect. If someone can only see with one eye, they don't get stereoscopic vision (3d glasses effect) and it degrades their depth perception, but it's not like they can't tell how far away things are at all. There are other cues. One is the apparent size of things, which is much more dramatic in vr. Another is a parallax effect when you move your head even a tiny amount and vr does that, too.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Good stuff. Hopefully they'll bring Call of the Mountain over to PCVR after a while. PSVR2 should be a great experience for PS5 players, but I'm firmly entrenched in the Quest 2 + PCVR ecosystem, so I couldn't justify buying it.

Hey, brother, have you tried VR? I've got a lazy, legally blind left eye, enough that I can see colors and shapes but depth perception is negatively impacted. I love VR--theres still the head-tracking and hand controls that puts it above flat-screen games

Put it this way: VR will be about as realistic as your day-to-day experience going about the real world, since you lack depth perception in both!

Thank you for the reply. I hope Sony will set up stands to try the helmet somewhere in Montreal in the upcoming months. I shall give it a go! 😀👍👍

Unless it specifically agitates your condition, you should get other core vr effects. Even some depth effect. If someone can only see with one eye, they don't get stereoscopic vision (3d glasses effect) and it degrades their depth perception, but it's not like they can't tell how far away things are at all. There are other cues. One is the apparent size of things, which is much more dramatic in vr. Another is a parallax effect when you move your head even a tiny amount and vr does that, too.

I appreciate the information, truly! 👍

sachos

Man the ign preview was hype-deflating for me - can’t tell if it was intentionally being negative or not
Yeah i kinda felt the same, like the guy showed no emotion at all. I guess he wanted to be as neutral as possible and i liked his critique of no spatial audio on headset and lack of knuckle like hand strap but i think he took for granted the OLED HDR with Foveated Rendering, isnt this the first time we get all 3 in one mainstream oriented headset? I found the Virtual Oasis video better in the way he described all the tech going on in the headset, plus he describes the experience better for someone who might not be yet familiar with how VR feels when actually using it as opposed to seeing a video on a flat display.

Yeah i kinda felt the same, like the guy showed no emotion at all. I guess he wanted to be as neutral as possible and i liked his critique of no spatial audio on headset and lack of knuckle like hand strap but i think he took for granted the OLED HDR with Foveated Rendering, isnt this the first time we get all 3 in one mainstream oriented headset? I found the Virtual Oasis video better in the way he described all the tech going on in the headset, plus he describes the experience better for someone who might not be yet familiar with how VR feels when actually using it as opposed to seeing a video on a flat display.
Let alone IGN. HDR OLEDs, 110 FOV, haptics, foveated rendering, stable and poweful single platform. PSVR2 did every checkbox on features and more (except highly experimental multi-focus lenses that no one have)
What else do you need from a consumer headset? Only good games I suppose. There were 3 old games and one new demo - Horizon.

Last edited:

Reallink

Having owned an Index for over 3 years, the Steam controllers are $300 by themselves and the grip mechanic only works well for ground up designed titles (basically only just HL Alyx). They actually work terrible in their port/compatibility mode (the vast majority of games) because they register grip and drop wrong like 50% of the time. The ergonomics of the sticks and buttons are also very poor save for those with large hands. Unsure if this is an inherent function of the design, or if they just made it for and by large men.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
Watch this one, he's someone who really knows his VR stuff and he seems to love it:
That makes me slightly more confident, I mean granted a lot of the complaints in the ign thing I don’t personally have an issue with - like the cord is a necessary evil right now for high fidelity vr. I also don’t care about wearing headphones. I guess I was just hoping for more of a “blown away” reaction considering the eye tracking. It sounds like horizon will be worth it though. I have a rift s so I’m hoping for a large upgrade with this.

Last edited:

RavageX

The short descriptions by those folks for each game sounds like they are kissing ass. Meaning they don't sound like real descriptions of playing a game. Separate note: someone mentioned someone's hand cramping while playing? WTF is going on these days, lol? How delicate are we?

I kinda apologize, not in the best mood.

I did get a PS5 for VR primarily, so I'm definitely in.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
Totally agree on the IGN impression, definitely put a damper on my hype despite their criticisms being valid.

The Eurogamer impression seemed completely opposite, definitely restored my excitement.

Top Bottom