• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 hands-on articles and videos are dropping

SLB1904

Banned
As he said, Sony literally pays to keep VR modes off Steam (RE7 and likely 8 and 4 remake being most notable). If I were Valve I certainly wouldn't be porting my games to Sony's platform.
Valve has more to gain to port to psvr than other way around. Alyx isn't going to sell more than already did. And Sony is probably funding all these psvr games. Just because a game exist didn't mean they are oblige to port to steam.
Why valve doesn't invest in VR. The platform is pretty much dead and getting carried by indies and 3rd parties

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Valve has more to gain to port to psvr than other way around. Alyx isn't going to sell more than already did. And Sony is probably funding all these psvr games. Just because a game exist didn't mean they are oblige to port to steam.
Why valve doesn't invest in VR. The platform is pretty much dead and getting carried by indies and 3rd parties
Ding, ding ding. Valve should do more with the device they offer.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I wonder if they will port re4 quesr to psvr. The star wars game is coming.

That would require pretty much a full remake to get it anywhere near the expected visual quality for PSVR2. I've played through the Quest 2 version, and it was great, but it doesn't look that much better than the GameCube original in terms of asset quality etc. The games that are getting ported already looked significantly better than RE4, so they don't need as massive upgrades.

But there is an actual RE4 remake coming, maybe that will get a VR mode.

Last edited:

Reallink

Sounds like you guys want Alyx more than any game Sony is offering, which infers Valve has done a better job supporting their platform than Sony. If it were a matter of merely funding, certainly Facebook's offers have dwarfed whatever Sony's paying. No, Sony is leveraging the Playstation ecosystem as a whole to keep these games off Oculus and Steam.

Romulus

Looks like a massive step up and will have some great exclusives. Not 100% sure I will jump in this time with Sony though, PCVR just occupies all my time and I have tons of mods in my backlog. Just having another headset just seems like a chore when there are already so many games on PC. I'll probably lose out on some really good games but oh well. I do have a PS5 so I'm already halfway there if some must haves come through.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Sounds like you guys want Alyx more than any game Sony is offering, which infers Valve has done a better job supporting their platform than Sony. If it were a matter of merely funding, certainly Facebook's offers have dwarfed whatever Sony's paying. No, Sony is leveraging the Playstation ecosystem as a whole to keep these games off Oculus and Steam.
Don't get it twisted. I wouldn't trade alyx for what's Sony is bringing to psvr2. Alyx is just one game. If it comes, comes. If it doesn't nobody is losing its sleep. VR is a very niche platform more so than any other device and people should root for games to availableeverywhere and get the platform gain traction. You the one being weird acting like a Valve shareholder and gatekeeping games. Do you see me complaint about Facebook funding games? Do you think any of these companies are making vr games without getting funded or hoping to get money hat?
Sony and Facebook are both funding these games to make their system attractive. Valve is doing shit. They already move to their portable. When was last time you got any news about valve and their VR endeavours?
Since the release of alyx they went awol.

ZoukGalaxy

Damn, I can't wait to get my hands on this pure magic technology 😻
vr GIF by PlayStationDE

Yeah, I know that's a PSVR 1 gif 😑

Popup

Before I tried VR, I couldn't properly comprehend what was going to be so good about it. I was imagining a 3D like screen that you control with your head instead of a mouse. I wondered why you would want to look left or right while driving, as doing so on a flat screen was disorienting etc, etc.

The first time I jumped in, it felt like the first time I ever put headphones on, and heard music in my head and my brain was scrambling to make sense of this new sensation and immersive, dream-like environment, with scale and proximity being. most impressive

I remember doing silly things like laying on my back on the floor, and shuffling under a table in a Skyrim bar to see if the underside was textured.

I thought I knew fear from flat games but I discovered things I never knew about myself (and shouting weird expletives) when facing that crippling fear in VR.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
How viable is a VR headset + stereo speakers?

I have trouble with headphones, and my living room is not welcoming to expansive 7.1 setups.

MacReady13

In my eyes VR is the future of gaming. The REAL future of gaming. I am beyond excited to get the PSVR2. Cannot wait until Astrobot 2 is announced though as it was easily my fav game for PSVR and 1 I still play fairy often.

R6Rider

Gold Member
How viable is a VR headset + stereo speakers?

I have trouble with headphones, and my living room is not welcoming to expansive 7.1 setups.
Not going to work. When you are moving around in VR you need the audio to match. I'd try to find a style of headphones that would work. There are many different designs. Maybe even try some of those bone conduction ones.

Psvr2 will have a higher install base that can actually play the game - and it should be played by more people. I want games that build off what alyx did

Romulus

Don't get it twisted. I wouldn't trade alyx for what's Sony is bringing to psvr2. Alyx is just one game. If it comes, comes. If it doesn't nobody is losing its sleep. VR is a very niche platform more so than any other device and people should root for games to availableeverywhere and get the platform gain traction. You the one being weird acting like a Valve shareholder and gatekeeping games. Do you see me complaint about Facebook funding games? Do you think any of these companies are making vr games without getting funded or hoping to get money hat?
Sony and Facebook are both funding these games to make their system attractive. Valve is doing shit. They already move to their portable. When was last time you got any news about valve and their VR endeavours?

I love Alyx etc but the mods are what blow me away. Being able to play Red Dead in VR, RE2 remake 3 is just something else entirely. Those are games I would hype to the roof if they were coming to PSVR2, but they probably won't, ever.
Even something like HL2 comes tomorrow with full motion support and people are saying it feels better than most full-fledged VR games. And then there's racing and flight sims, which excel to the max in VR. But no sight on anything coming to PSVR2, and if it does it will be very limited. A mean just something like Elite Dangerous is just mind numbing in VR, and would be a killer app on PSVR2. That's years away if it even comes at all. Alien Isolation, etc, the list goes on of games that feel like "made for VR" even if its just controller support they're amazing.

Last edited:
Teleporting is best. Suck it.
Yeah I feel like anti teleporter people haven’t played a lot of vr, I think it’s more immersive than pressing a stick to move. Cus you can walk the length of your space inside the game world then jump to the next spot. Feels more intuitive

Crayon

Alyx exists to promote the Index, not to make psvr users feel good or bad, and evidently sony and steam are not working together for the good of vr.

Valve doesn't need sony to work for the good of vr. Alyx worked on practically every headset, including old ass ones from all sorts of manufacturers. They also ain't getting rich off alyx. According to your reading of this, valve should have limited steamvr to vive and index, but instead that is a whole backend to make sure every headset works as well as it can. I don't think you have anything, here. Sony might be trying to make a walled garden vr platform, but valve sure isn't. And that one-way street is sufficient for an alyx port. I don't think you have anything, here.

Reallink

Your arguments are contradictory. You say Capcom/Sony are not obliged to port their games to other platforms while in the same breath insenuating Valve is. You say VR is a niche and the games should be available everywhere, then go on to cheerlead Sony explicitly paying to keep VR modes off PC.

SLB1904

Banned
I love Alyx etc but the mods are what blow me away. Being able to play Red Dead in VR, RE2 remake 3 is just something else entirely. Those are games I would hype to the room if they were coming to PSVR2, but they probably won't, ever.
Even something like HL2 comes tomorrow with full motion support and people are saying it feels better than most full-fledged VR games. And then there's racing and flight sims, which excel to the max in VR. But no sight on anything coming to PSVR2, and if it does it will be very limited. A mean just something like Elite Dangerous is just mind numbing in VR, and would be a killer app on PSVR2. That's years away if it even comes at all. Alien Isolation, etc, the list goes on of games that feel like "made for VR" even if its just controller support they're amazing.
You literally saying exactly what I'm saying

SLB1904

Banned
Your arguments are contradictory. You say Capcom/Sony are not obliged to port their games to other platforms while in the same breath insenuating Valve is. You say VR is a niche and the games should be available everywhere, then go on to cheerlead Sony explicitly paying to keep VR modes off PC.
I'm not saying valve is obliged to do it. I only said. Valve has more to gain porting alyx. You the one suggesting they should be petty because Sony is funding games. So because of that they shouldn't port alyx lol

Crayon

Yeah I feel like anti teleporter people haven’t played a lot of vr, I think it’s more immersive than pressing a stick to move. Cus you can walk the length of your space inside the game world then jump to the next spot. Feels more intuitive

Walking is the one thing that doesn't really work. It's also the least interesting part of many games. Cut the walking, problem solved.

I do not get sick with smooth movement at all, and for the first year of vr I thought teleporting was a hacky compromise for people who got nautious. But then I tried it and behold it was actually more natural and generally more immersive.

I also came to like snap turning, but to a lesser extent. It seems to let me play longer with less fatigue on the eyes.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Walking is the one thing that doesn't really work. It's also the least interesting part of many games. Cut the walking, problem solved.

I do not get sick with smooth movement at all, and for the first year of vr I thought teleporting was a hacky compromise for people who got nautious. But then I tried it and behold it was actually more natural and generally more immersive.

I also came to like snap turning, but to a lesser extent. It seems to let me play longer with less fatigue on the eyes.
Opposite for me. I can't stand snap turning and teleporting (unless teleporting makes sense story/gameplay wise). Every game should have all the VR options to fit everyones preference though.

UnNamed

Banned
How good is the tracking on PSVR2 and what about features to prevent motion sickness?
This was the only reason I had to sold my PSVR back in the day since it caused me a very bad motion sickness mostly because the tracking wasn't that good. I had less problem with the Oculus and Vive.

I haven't tried any other VR device since because of this problem.

Reallink

I'm not saying valve is obliged to do it. I only said. Valve has more to gain porting alyx. You the one suggesting they should be petty because Sony is funding games. So because of that they shouldn't port alyx lol

Yeah thats exactly right. You are advocating for a one way street where Sony gets eveything and other platforms only get what they make themselves. I'm rightly pointing out they'd have to be retarded to take that deal. Valve stands to gain more withholding Alyx for their oft rumored Deckard headset, which is supposedly a fully mobile X86 based Quest competitor running on the presumed Steamdeck 2 SOC (with wireless PC tethering as well).

Last edited:
Same. I don’t get sick at all, smooth movement through a joystick just makes it very apparent you’re playing a game. Where as with teleporting I can at least fool myself for moments - ideally of course we’d all have one of those treadmill things that made it so you couldn’t tell the difference. Travel is the main issue for vr tho - I often think once people have desensitized themselves to the experience and they prefer the stick movement but I’m trying to maintain the feeling of being there as much as I can

lukilladog

Valve doesn't need sony to work for the good of vr. Alyx worked on practically every headset, including old ass ones from all sorts of manufacturers. They also ain't getting rich off alyx. According to your reading of this, valve should have limited steamvr to vive and index, but instead that is a whole backend to make sure every headset works as well as it can. I don't think you have anything, here. Sony might be trying to make a walled garden vr platform, but valve sure isn't. And that one-way street is sufficient for an alyx port. I don't think you have anything, here.

Alyx works on every vr headset on the PC enviroment because Valve has a store and clients for that, there is not much to it. Valve could care less about a few millions from selling alyx on PS, but they might be interested on a deal which brings Sony VR games to steam, and they know Sony has more to gain from Alyx on PSVR than Valve themselves. Gabe is not about helping others to build their business, Alyx on PSVR is wishful thinking.

Yeah thats exactly right. You are advocating for a one way street where Sony gets eveything and other platforms only get what they make themselves. I'm rightly pointing out they'd have to be retarded to take that deal. Valve stands to gain more withholding Alyx for their oft rumored Deckard headset, which is supposedly a fully mobile X86 based Quest competitor running on the presumed Steamdeck 2 SOC (with wireless PC tethering as well).

Who said anything about advocating?

We are just saying what is likely to happen

Valve has already hinted at psvr support

Crayon

Alyx works on every vr headset on the PC enviroment because Valve has a store and clients for that, there is not much to it. Valve could care less about a few millions from selling alyx on PS, but they might be interested on a deal which brings Sony VR games to steam, and they know Sony has more to gain from Alyx on PSVR than Valve themselves. Gabe is not about helping others to build their business, Alyx on PSVR is wishful thinking.

They do all kinds of things that help other people's businesses. You could say they do this because it aligns with their own goals, but more often than not it's extended as some sort of benefit anyone can take advantage of and not part of a quid pro quo deal.

lukilladog

They do all kinds of things that help other people's businesses. You could say they do this because it aligns with their own goals, but more often than not it's extended as some sort of benefit anyone can take advantage of and not part of a quid pro quo deal.

I would not compare small devs with corporations like sony.

SLB1904

Banned
Lmfao. You said valve don't care about selling few millions copies and at same time these few millions copies will build other business. You guys are a joke with those takes.

Crayon

I would not compare small devs with corporations like sony.

Who said anything about small devs? What you should have got me on was that a publishing and development deal would be an explicit contract unlike stuff such as the steamworks platform, key reselling, or upstream contributions to the linux and codeweavers teams. But I would say those point to the fact that they play a long game and don't seem to use their leverage as aggressively as they could.

Sony already publishes games on steam and blocks some games from steam. Valve has only been known to avoid consoles because they are generally a pain in the ass compared to what they are used to. I may not be fully understanding what you are trying to say, so to clarify - Do you mean that sony would have to trade a vr game for alyx?

lukilladog

Who said anything about small devs? What you should have got me on was that a publishing and development deal would be an explicit contract unlike stuff such as the steamworks platform, key reselling, or upstream contributions to the linux and codeweavers teams. But I would say those point to the fact that they play a long game and don't seem to use their leverage as aggressively as they could.

Sony already publishes games on steam and blocks some games from steam. Valve has only been known to avoid consoles because they are generally a pain in the ass compared to what they are used to. I may not be fully understanding what you are trying to say, so to clarify - Do you mean that sony would have to trade a vr game for alyx?

Sony would need to approach Valve to get Alyx with a very good offer, Valve didn´t create Alyx to sell software copies, much less hardware from competitors.

lukilladog

Lmfao. You said valve don't care about selling few millions copies and at same time these few millions copies will build other business. You guys are a joke with those takes.

It´s more about drawing attention to competing hardware, I´m sorry you can only think on such a superficial level.

Boneless

Previewing it with Horizon, what a poor choice.

Also, why the fuck is audio not included in this headset? Such a weird choice, the whole benefit of console over PC should be plug and play, sticking my own headphones on top of these goggles is the exact opposite of that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom