• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 hands-on articles and videos are dropping

Crayon

Sony would need to approach Valve to get Alyx with a very good offer, Valve didn´t create Alyx to sell software copies, much less hardware from competitors.

Oh, I bet. If valve turned down the offer because it wasn't good enough to justify the effort, that would be a good reason. Keeping it to steam because the index and psvr are competitors, or that sony doesn't bring vr games to steam are not good reasons, though.

Nah, the Index and PSVR are competitors and sony has been paying to keep games away from PC vr.
Not the Vr ones...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Half Life Alyx PSVR2 - The definitive version.

- Superior graphics due to foveated rendering and pure black OLED
- Mental head haptics when those ceiling motherfuckers get you
- 3D audio sound

Sign me up.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If the previous PS4VR games are backwards compatible with this thing. I'm in. Money getting set aside.
I don’t know if they are but that would be great especially if the games took advantage of the much better resolution

lukilladog

Oh, I bet. If valve turned down the offer because it wasn't good enough to justify the effort, that would be a good reason. Keeping it to steam because the index and psvr are competitors, or that sony doesn't bring vr games to steam are not good reasons, though.

You are mixing stuff, the steam store and the playstation store are not direct competitors, however PC VR and PSVR are, that is why you wont see PC suport on PSVR2, nor Alyx on PSVR2.

And what´s is that second double quote supossed to mean?, you think it is a contradiction or something?.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Man the ign preview was hype-deflating for me - can’t tell if it was intentionally being negative or not

I definitely regret watching that one first...just totally set me up to feel like...this is just tour Rift S with higher quality lenses...u really don't need it. Will be amazing for those who haven't experienced good vr though, maybe the psvr crowd stuck with move remotes.

I don't know why I expected more.

I'm still hoping they announce it will work on PC.

Crayon

I watched the Eurogamer preview and it was incredibly positive. RE:Village looks insane. It’s a nope from me though in VR - can you imagine getting chased by that blobby monstrosity in VR? Fuck that.

I was never actually scared by horror games but re7 in vr changed that real quick. My wife always wants me to play it because she thinks it's funny when I scream and try to jump back over the couch. Not too fun for me tho. Seriously it's a bit much.

Kokoloko85

Day 1. I wanna try the Star Wars game the most
I hope Half life Alyx is released on PSVR2

I think PSVR3 will be the one that goes super mainstream. ( Especially if they find a wireless USB C solution/add on )

Last edited:

Markio128

I was never actually scared by horror games but re7 in vr changed that real quick. My wife always wants me to play it because she thinks it's funny when I scream and try to jump back over the couch. Not too fun for me tho. Seriously it's a bit much.
I played RE7 in VR as well and didn’t get much further than the creepy mannequins 😂
I think that walking dead shooter looks pretty fun, without being too creepy. I’ll probably get that one. I like how you physically have to add magazines to the guns, and press buttons on the guns to turn on laser sights. I love the added interactivity in VR games.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Just after watching that again, thon Horizon demo looks insane, the generational jump from PSVR1 to 2 is huge, a proper next gen leap that can be seen not only visually on screen but also in the hardware, cannot wait to get my hands on it and from all sounds it's blowing PCVR out the window, just make the gaddam thing affordable for the masses so it sells and we can get more AAA studio games.

The detail on display in Horizon and RE8 looks as easily as good as the actual console games, that foveated rendering tech making everything super sharp and detailed is gonna be crazy compared to the terrible PS3 era visuals on the original, I'd love to see Skyrim updated to take advantage tbh, snowballs chance tbf

Crayon

I played RE7 in VR as well and didn’t get much further than the creepy mannequins 😂
I think that walking dead shooter looks pretty fun, without being too creepy. I’ll probably get that one. I like how you physically have to add magazines to the guns, and press buttons on the guns to turn on laser sights. I love the added interactivity in VR games.

I have that one through ps plus and I'm looking for a good timem to hunker down with it. I heard someone call it poor man's alyx once lol.

Markio128

Yeah that part might be one of the scariest moments in the series. In VR…….:messenger_fearful:
No No No GIF

Markio128

I have that one through ps plus and I'm looking for a good timem to hunker down with it. I heard someone call it poor man's alyx once lol.
I think the one they showed in the Eurogamer PSVR2 preview was the sequel. The visuals aren’t that impressive, but they look decent enough for a VR game.

SLB1904

Banned
It´s more about drawing attention to competing hardware,
i mean if you like vr isnt that a great thing? valve sold a few million units of their vr. you put alyx on other device more people will play it, and word of mouth will help valve as well. this isnt pc vs console. vr is a such niche market that needs any help right now. facebook and sony having exclusives isnt so bad (i really dont give a fuck if they are or not) the fact is more people will try psvr, quest and etc it will increase the sales even for valve index. and alyx is full of modes on pc that some will eventually buy it, at this stage good word of mouth is great. if there was some competition between sony and valve u wouldn't see ps games on steam.

Hohenheim

This is definitly gonna be one of those things that'll get me super hyped and i'll be there day 1. Then'll play it for a couple of hours the first day, and use it once or twice every six months after that.

Resident Evil 7 in VR is one of the most awesome gaming experiences I have ever had the pleasure to play. But that experience was my first playthrough of the game. Resi 8 is of course already played and finished, and that will put a damper to the experience of playing it in VR. None of the other announced games looks like something i'm gonna put a lot of time into.

But yeah, day 1 for sure!

sachos

Interesting that so many people had the same reaction to the IGN video, i thought i was being a fanboy when i reacted the same way after watching it.

Hawk269

Day 1. I wanna try the Star Wars game the most
I hope Half life Alyx is released on PSVR2

I think PSVR3 will be the one that goes super mainstream. ( Especially if they find a wireless USB C solution/add on )
For it to become mainstream or super mainstream will come down to the price. If it is priced really agressive it has a chance. My gut is telling me based on what we are reading about it is going to be expensive and if it is expensive it will not be mainstream or anything close to that. Price will be crucial since this is a "add-on" that requires a PS5 in order to operate.

As he said, Sony literally pays to keep VR modes off Steam (RE7, 8, and 4 remake being most notable). If I were Valve I certainly wouldn't be porting my games to Sony's platform.
This is such Bs. Why would Sony pay Capcom to keep Re4 remake off Steam, when its exclusive to Facebook and quest?

Kusarigama

Excited for PSVR2 even though i get the motion sick after an hour or so of using one to one movement PSVR games. I still don't own a PS5 yet, but hopefully soon I can get one.

lukilladog

But it’s able to be played on pc with any headset, what would denying it to psvr2 accomplish? It’s not like it’s an exclusive game to the index

Psvr2 users wont pass through the steam store, and mostly don´t have a gaming pc so they wont buy more games there, nor an index... why support a closed platform that wont allow Steam as an alternative and push hardware sales of a competing product?. It´s not gonna happen.

lukilladog

i mean if you like vr isnt that a great thing? valve sold a few million units of their vr. you put alyx on other device more people will play it, and word of mouth will help valve as well. this isnt pc vs console. vr is a such niche market that needs any help right now. facebook and sony having exclusives isnt so bad (i really dont give a fuck if they are or not) the fact is more people will try psvr, quest and etc it will increase the sales even for valve index. and alyx is full of modes on pc that some will eventually buy it, at this stage good word of mouth is great. if there was some competition between sony and valve u wouldn't see ps games on steam.

Have you guys seen how much does Valve care about selling their products in other markets worldwide?... Valve is not a public company like Sony, if Gabe says he got enough cake, that is it... I doubt he cares about VR at this point, much less about making Alyx ports for psvr2 or even his own Steam Deck.

Have you guys seen how much does Valve care about selling their products in other markets worldwide?... Valve is not a public company like Sony, if Gabe says he got enough cake, that is it... I doubt he cares about VR at this point, much less about making Alyx ports for psvr2 or even his own Steam Deck.

A cheap port isn’t going to cost much and im sure Sony could approach them to fund it

Why do you not want this game to come to psvr2 so badly? You’re running with all sorts of mental gymnastics and coping to hope valve doesn’t do something that’s a pretty obvious and easy win-win for both parties

Last edited:
Psvr2 users wont pass through the steam store, and mostly don´t have a gaming pc so they wont buy more games there, nor an index... why support a closed platform that wont allow Steam as an alternative and push hardware sales of a competing product?. It´s not gonna happen.
Yeah but A. Purchase of Alyx itself would make them money for the little effort needed to port B. You get new people into valve through playing Alyx - I see no real downside to reaching the Sony audience for them

hlm666

But it’s able to be played on pc with any headset, what would denying it to psvr2 accomplish? It’s not like it’s an exclusive game to the index
It's exclusive to SteamVR, it's valves VR platform, you can play it with whatever hardware you want but it's going through SteamVR and by extension Steam. To put this in perspective you could say HLA will work with psvr2, you just have to hook it to a pc and use steam like every other device that can run it right.

It could still be driving Index sales aswell, it was in the the top ten sales chart 2 weeks ago (the index i mean). Valve also have the rumored standalone headset due next year and they might need something to sell that seeing they make like 1 game a decade.

At this point if it was happening and Sony was porting it we would have leaks from them, if Valve was doing it the amount of data mining that happens of their software people would have found data pointing to psvr2 by now. It would be pretty easy to find something if they were doing work for another api which they would need to.

lukilladog

A cheap port isn’t going to cost much and im sure Sony could approach them to fund it

Why do you not want this game to come to psvr2 so badly? You’re running with all sorts of mental gymnastics and coping to hope valve doesn’t do something that’s a pretty obvious and easy win-win for both parties

What mental gymnastics?, I think I´ve been reasonable... Cost is not a problem for Valve, the little sales that this might generate are negligible for Gabe, Alyx was conceived to draw people into steam to buy their hardware or games in general... and putting the game in playstation would be like admitting or suggesting the Index failure, it´s not gonna happen.

It's exclusive to SteamVR, it's valves VR platform, you can play it with whatever hardware you want but it's going through SteamVR and by extension Steam. To put this in perspective you could say HLA will work with psvr2, you just have to hook it to a pc and use steam like every other device that can run it right.

It could still be driving Index sales aswell, it was in the the top ten sales chart 2 weeks ago (the index i mean). Valve also have the rumored standalone headset due next year and they might need something to sell that seeing they make like 1 game a decade.

At this point if it was happening and Sony was porting it we would have leaks from them, if Valve was doing it the amount of data mining that happens of their software people would have found data pointing to psvr2 by now. It would be pretty easy to find something if they were doing work for another api which they would need to.
It may not be happening right this second but I’m sure a deal could be in the works. Like I said no one needs an index for Alyx so I don’t see how it would specifically drive sales of that device or any other valve device. I bought a pc and oculus rift s almost solely for Alyx, I didn’t buy an index - steam didn’t charge me any money to download except for the price of Alyx. What money did Valve make off me in that situation? I just don’t see this as open and shut.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Sounds like you guys want Alyx more than any game Sony is offering, which infers Valve has done a better job supporting their platform than Sony. If it were a matter of merely funding, certainly Facebook's offers have dwarfed whatever Sony's paying. No, Sony is leveraging the Playstation ecosystem as a whole to keep these games off Oculus and Steam.
After listening to the latest kinda funny ps I love you, they mention that alyx is arguably better then PSVR2 games, well , I think they mean it makes use of VR better with all the physics interactions, where's as horizon VR is a more on rails shooter type thing.
This is the thing about PSVR2 it just seems like there's no real big investment or innovation in the games.

Crayon

How viable is a VR headset + stereo speakers?

I have trouble with headphones, and my living room is not welcoming to expansive 7.1 setups.

I've tried it with a sound bar. For games where you face forward, it's less immersive but that's fine. Games where you turn around, I found it distracting.

Crayon

After listening to the latest kinda funny ps I love you, they mention that alyx is arguably better then PSVR2 games, well , I think they mean it makes use of VR better with all the physics interactions, where's as horizon VR is a more on rails shooter type thing.
This is the thing about PSVR2 it just seems like there's no real big investment or innovation in the games.

I doubt sony will have anything Alyx level in the launch window. Maybe horizon has some more tricks, but so far I'm far more interested in Alyx than anything they've shown. By far.

I watched the Eurogamer preview and it was incredibly positive. RE:Village looks insane. It’s a nope from me though in VR - can you imagine getting chased by that blobby monstrosity in VR? Fuck that.

Oh come on you at least want to put your face into her dirty pillows. I'd say the blob is worth it due to that.

drezz

If Valve came out with a new game.. flatscreen.. Would the releasey it on Consoles?
Im very very certian they would.
If Valve came out with a new game.. VR.. Would they release it on PSVR2?
Im 50/50 certain they would.
And Im 99% certian they got a PSVR2 Dev kit to tinker around with; to improve their own upcoming new headset, and help their techies learn a few tricks from the benefits the PSVR2 has.
With that said, what better way to familiarise them selfs with such tech then with their own fully fleshed out game and port it.
Just my two cents.

CamHostage

If Valve came out with a new game.. flatscreen.. Would the releasey it on Consoles?
Im very very certian they would.
If Valve came out with a new game.. VR.. Would they release it on PSVR2?
Im 50/50 certain they would.

Portal just came to Nintendo Switch out of the blue (although HL2 did not, even though it's in the danged game!?) So Valve hasn't forgotten about consoles, and they're not saying now. They're just not saying anything, that's the frustrating thing.

My 2 cents is, a successful PSVR2 would life all VR boats, and Valve would benefit from that tide coming in. Their method of competition doesn't rely on exclusivity and outright rejection of all competitors. (You can buy VR games on Steam which are compatible with Rift and MSVR and such like that.) It'd be a good move in a couple of ways to bring Alyx to PSVR2. Doesn't mean they'll do it though...

(Also, Sony has given Valve plenty of extra pennies by putting some big PS games on Steam, so let's scratch each other's backs here, eh?)

Last edited:

drezz

Portal just came to Nintendo Switch out of the blue (although HL2 did not, even though it's in the danged game!?) So Valve hasn't forgotten about consoles, and they're not saying now. They're just not saying anything, that's the frustrating thing.

My 2 cents is, a successful PSVR2 would life all VR boats, and Valve would benefit from that tide coming in. Their method of competition doesn't rely on exclusivity and outright rejection of all competitors. (You can buy VR games on Steam which are compatible with Rift and MSVR and such like that.) It'd be a good move in a couple of ways to bring Alyx to PSVR2. Doesn't mean they'll do it though...

(Also, Sony has given Valve plenty of extra pennies by putting some big PS games on Steam, so let's scratch each other's backs here, eh?)
I agree!
Only benefits to port it over, only reason I see them not doing it would be...
That they dont want too. Which is a valid reason for Valve imo.

I have already played it, finished it this summer, and will not be buying it again.
But I do recondnise the amount of good PR for Sony,Valve and VR as a whole, with it being ported over and therefor am really sure they will do it... Sometime.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This has to get half life Alyx. There is literally very little point to vr if you cant play that masterpiece. Sony must throw the bank at valve.

Last edited:

Reallink

*GameCube Quest port. It's not on PC. But yes, otherwise you are correct. I don't think we've heard anything about a VR mode for RE4R yet?

Right, I meant that it's based on the old PC port of the Gamecube version. The VR version is of course exclusive to Quest 2. WRT 4 Remake they have only committed to "VR Content", implying side missions or bonus modes. They very intentionally stopped short of announcing the full campaign.

Last edited:
Top Bottom