• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
8fd9c404e81dd1f0929b574b7689c9ae0fdaf5d4-scaled-1.jpg

Details:

WxD7Yh8.jpg
NgtwlQb.jpg

Bundles:

f783ce528e516240e4dbe1d2615974cd6283fb32-scaled.jpg

• PlayStation VR2
    • $549.99 / €599.99 / £529.99 / ¥74,980 recommended retail price (including tax for GBP, EUR, and JPY)
    • Includes PS VR2 headset, PS VR2 Sense controllers and stereo headphones
cd1a8f230072143cd066f010342ea8fe96cce3ab-scaled.jpg

• PlayStation VR2 Horizon Call of the Mountain bundle
    • $599.99 / €649.99 / £569.99 / ¥79,980 recommended retail price (including tax for GBP, EUR, and JPY)
    • Includes PlayStation Store voucher code for Horizon Call of the Mountain, PS VR2 headset, PS VR2 Sense controllers, and stereo headphones
56eb00fabf0569791207715ce5df01ca2724907a-scaled.jpg

• PlayStation VR2 Sense controller charging station
    • $49.99 / €49.99 / £39.99 / ¥5,480 recommended retail price (including tax for GBP, EUR, and JPY)
    • Players can charge the PS VR2 Sense controller through a simple click-in design, without having to connect to a PS5 console – freeing up the console’s USB ports.

Positive Points:

VGC:
  • Large, powerful screens
  • Incredibly simple set-up
  • Lightweight and comfortable
  • Premium-feeling hardware
ArsTechnica:
  • Single USB-C cable means you can say goodbye to messy wires (From VGC)
  • Simple setup process
  • Bright, sharp, beautiful HDR scenes on high-resolution displays
  • Head strap design stays comfortable even during long play sessions
  • Light, unobtrusive hand-tracking controllers
  • Decent price for the performance... if you own a PS5
TrustedReviews:
  • Stunning 4K OLED screen
  • Sense controllers are huge improvement
  • Stylish design and streamlined setup
  • Haptic feedback improves immersion
Negative Points:

VGC:
  • Shallow launch lineup of original titles
  • Some controller awkwardness
ArsTechnica:
  • Features like headset rumble and eye-tracking seem underutilized
  • USB tether can get in the way, limits where you can use it
  • No built-in speakers or headphones
  • Lots of software ports and few platform-selling exclusives
  • Requires a PS5 to do the heavy processing
  • No compatibility with existing PSVR software
TrustedReviews:
  • No backwards compatability
  • More expensive than a PS5
  • Can be uncomfortable after extended use

Critic Reviews:

VGC - 4/5
PSVR 2 is an amazing headset, but whether it's worth it to the average PS5 user is yet to be seen, as despite the amazing technology, the software so far isn't enough to convince most to run out and buy one.
TheGamer - Recommended
Here's the thing about PSVR2: if you're a PlayStation 5 owner then, well, there is no virtual reality alternative. Not short of going and buying a PC and setting up a Vive Pro 2 anyway (which'd all cost you six times as much as the PlayStation VR2 headset). So as your one and only option there is no direct competition.
Eurogamer/DigitalFoundry - Recommended
Wrapping up this review, it's clear that PlayStation VR2 is an impressive package. It competes with more expensive PC headsets in terms of specs, it's far more comfortable to use than PSVR1 and has a lot of potential. The problem here is that regardless of price comparisons with its predecessor, it's very expensive in a world where the Oculus Quest 2 delivers an all-in-one experience that's a lot cheaper. The specs differential against Quest 2 is vast, but the cost of the new hardware leads me to wonder whether or not the install base will grow fast enough to warrant producing big games for the platform.
TheWashingtonPost- Recommended
Sony has created a good VR headset. Even at the relatively high price of $550, PlayStation is offering a higher quality headset than most consumer grade devices. The PS VR2′s success hinges on PlayStation’s ability to offer distinct, innovative and engaging first-party software, the kind you won’t find on Meta, HTC or Steam headsets. PlayStation’s first-party output wins awards and sells millions, but longtime Sony fans will remember the lackluster first-party support for the handheld devices as well as its first VR headset. PlayStation is the console market leader because it focused on a single console — as it did during the recent PlayStation 4 era. Their biggest weakness become apparent when they work to spread first-party support across multiple devices.
ArtsTechnica - Recommended
If you own a PS5 and want to see what's up with VR these days, it's an obvious choice. But other VR platforms might have more robust staying power.
The Verge - 7/10
Tom here — while we’re talking about our wishlists, I really wish the PSVR 2 officially supported PCs. Sony isn’t officially supporting the PSVR 2 on PC, which means that even though you can get a video signal through its USB-C connector, you’ll still need to wait on someone to build a driver for the inside-out tracking, the haptic features, and perhaps even more.
PushSquare - Recommended
If you have any interest in virtual reality, then PSVR2 should be on your radar without any shadow of a doubt. And if you’re a sceptic, we’d recommend trying it out if possible, because we can’t envisage anyone coming away unimpressed. But at $549.99, with all of the promise and praise outlined on this page, we appreciate the headset is a hard-sell in the current financial climate. The hardware’s an undeniable hit, but it’s now down to Sony to prove it can show the same commitment to software support as it did with its predecessor. And if it can maintain a steady flow of titles over time, both big and small, then the future will be bright for this cutting-edge tech.
Gamespot - Recommended
PSVR2 is a very well-made VR headset that has a high-quality build and premium feel while utilizing powerful technology and features to ensure it hits all the markers for what a modern VR headset should offer
IGN - 9/10
With top-notch visual quality and immersively tactile Sense controllers, PlayStation VR2 represents a quantum leap over its predecessor, setting a new standard for console VR gaming.
PlayStation Universe - 9.5/10.0
Blurb: A beguiling marriage of raw power, innovative design and a solidly varied, though not quite spectacular launch line-up, PSVR2 manages to set a ridiculously high bar for others to follow and is easily the most compelling piece of tech I've got in my living room right now. By a long, long way.
CNet: 4/5
Despite its tether to the required PS5 console, the PlayStation VR 2 is the best all-in gaming VR experience I've had.
NYTimes - Not Recommended
To make the PS VR2 worth buying, PlayStation needs to offer must-play, exclusive software. Horizon: Call of the Mountain and Gran Turismo 7 are a start, but they’re not enough. At launch, the PS VR2 simply doesn’t justify its cost—even if you already own a PlayStation 5. I was surprised to find that I liked it as much as I did, and its convenience, comfort, and quality might be enough to convince me to put it on once in a while now that I have it. But I can’t recommend it over a Meta Quest 2 until more games, especially more compelling exclusive titles, arrive.
Axios - Recommended
PSVR 2 is very good, if you don’t mind the price, the wire and understand the trade-offs inherent to immersive VR gaming.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
400 dollars or should i say 350 pounds and I'm in.

My problem with these recommended reviews are that they say will sales suffice to make big games and that the line up is not all there....

Shouldn't it be wait and see instead of recommend?

Last edited:
Like with any platform launch, games are key. I think Sony are committed to delivering here and I expect to see some amazing games over the next couple years.

I only have experience with the Rift S and Quest so this is going to be a massive leap forward in terms of visual clarity. Can’t wait.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I am still baffled by the 'lack of software' complaints, it's like they think this is the whole line up and no more games are being made, its weird.
Its an expensive accessory. Software library is always going to be a bit of wait and see. For launch there's a good amount of stuff.

midnightAI

Its an expensive accessory. Software library is always going to be a bit of wait and see. For launch there's a good amount of stuff.
Yeh, agreed, over 30 titles at launch, how many consoles launch with that many? (yet here it is a problem, and yes, I know many games are Quest ports, but lots of people are upgrading straight from PSVR 1 so those should still count)

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It's a niche product which is very expensive. Much like the original PSVR it will get its initial adopters but PSVR2 will only sell a few million max....then it will fade into obscurity. No GAAS or much in the way of MP. It's a solitary experience which won't make Sony much money.

Still might be good to have if they they actually release some great games down the road or make the old VR games compatible.

DavidGzz

Sounds like a great device but I'll wait for a price drop and will wait to see how steady the bigger games come out. Until then, I'd rather use that cash for a PS5 Pro.

Freeman76

I am still baffled by the 'lack of software' complaints, it's like they think this is the whole line up and no more games are being made, its weird.

Pretty obvious really, nothing that should make it a must have on day one so its a reasonable decision if people choose to wait. Its good they factor that into reviews.

Obviously if you're a GT fan or RE then that doesnt apply, but those people are buying it anyway if they can afford it.

I really don't understand those reviews saying it's expensive. Compared to even PSVR years ago it's actually less expensive when you add the mandatory accessories. With the incredible inflation from 7 years ago PSVR2 is objectively not expensive. It's incredibly cheap.

We have seen people spending 800$ to get their hands on PS5. I have seen people losing thousands to scalpers (and still without a console). People are spending $2000 on GPUs to gain a few fps on the same games they are playing. 550$ on a state of the art VR device (having plenty of new VR content) is cheap in the world we live in.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Got no time for people trying to underrate the hardware. Specially when they mention games or whatever speculation about the future.

When the PS5 and XSX came out people were reviewing the hardware separate from the games. For some reason with PSVR2 some people are expanding the scope of the review.

It’s state of the art VR.

midnightAI

Pretty obvious really, nothing that should make it a must have on day one so its a reasonable decision if people choose to wait. Its good they factor that into reviews.

Obviously if you're a GT fan or RE then that doesnt apply, but those people are buying it anyway if they can afford it.
I dont remember any console release having that as a major negative?, its just assumed more games are coming so its a pointless thing to mention other than a small footnote, has any console release had more than 30 games available at launch?

Anyway, doesnt matter, I just thought its a bit strange because its so obvious

whyman

As a gamer from Europe, I have to say I'm pretty underwhelmed. Yeah, the technology is impressive, and it's got potential for the future, but let's be real, the launch lineup is pretty mediocre.

Then there is the price. Does Sony seriously expect people to drop the equivalent of 4+ months of food on this thing, during a war and economic downturn? It's just not feasible for most households.

I know some people are all about VR gaming, but let's be honest, no one has really figured out how to do it right yet. The technology might be there, but it’s still more of an experience compared to gaming. Will Sony really want to keep investing in this if it does not sell well?

Until we have more compelling games and a more reasonable price point, I'm not sold on this product.

Sony, it’s time to cut the cord.

Umbasaborne

Banned
What console had better launch line up than psvr2?
I dont know, the xbox 360, the playstation 5, the xbox one, the ps2, they all seemed to have much more interesting software at launch than this does. Gt7 and re8 not withstanding, because those do look like a lot of fun. But hey, my opinion is subjective. So if you feel like this is the greatest launch line up in history then more power to you : )

As expected the games aren't there to justify it yet. I'd be wary of Sony supporting this properly too.
Indeed. As expected Horizon is a limited graphical demo with basic oudated controls scheme (climbing in VR). But it's not a very good demo to showcase specific features like eye tracking or haptic feedback.

Astro was actually a great demo for PSVR1 gameplay (not graphical power). This is the kind of demo PSVR2 sorely needs currently. Gameplay innovations. People have being playing on 4090 GPUs and don't care about graphics that much nowadays.

SLB1904

Banned
Couldn't give a shit about the hardware. I wanna see some games and how they run and look. Other than horizon obviously. Already pre order that

Unknown?

As a gamer from Europe, I have to say I'm pretty underwhelmed. Yeah, the technology is impressive, and it's got potential for the future, but let's be real, the launch lineup is pretty mediocre.

Then there is the price. Does Sony seriously expect people to drop the equivalent of 4+ months of food on this thing, during a war and economic downturn? It's just not feasible for most households.

I know some people are all about VR gaming, but let's be honest, no one has really figured out how to do it right yet. The technology might be there, but it’s still more of an experience compared to gaming. Will Sony really want to keep investing in this if it does not sell well?

Until we have more compelling games and a more reasonable price point, I'm not sold on this product.

Sony, it’s time to cut the cord.
The launch lineup is better than all recent consoles launch. This is nonsense. Honestly the Dreamcast was the last system launch to be a better launch.

I dont know, the xbox 360, the playstation 5, the xbox one, the ps2, they all seemed to have much more interesting software at launch than this does. Gt7 and re8 not withstanding, because those do look like a lot of fun. But hey, my opinion is subjective. So if you feel like this is the greatest launch line up in history then more power to you : )
PS2, Xbox One were terrible launches. Wtf!

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
What was the launch line up for 360?
The ps2 was trash I can't even
Ps5 had demons, spidey what else?
Xbox One? Really you the mediocre Rome game, the jank dead rising. What else?

Last edited:

sachos

The launch line up complaints actually kinda trigger me. They did not even have RE8 or GT7 during the review process, they also assume that everyone that is going to buy the headset already played all the other ported games, they fail to realize this may be a lot of people's first VR experience. Same with the price complaints, they point out how amazing the tech of the headset and graphics are and then complain its more expensive than a Quest 2 or that you need a PS5, no shit, thats how you get the great image queality. They also fail to put the price into perspective, both not comparing it to the launch prices of PSVR1 and also not comparing with the actual PSVR2 competitors, the more than double the price and still worse PC VR headsets.

Last edited:

stranno

It feels premium and cheap at the same time. Good materials and design, but no processor, no speakers and no wireless for 600€? Yeah, not happening..

I would like to see PS3 VR support in a future retro-compatibility tho. I tested it on PS4 PSVR, using an stupidly complex setup, and it worked really great with MotorStorm: Pacific Rift and Wipeout Fury VR.

The PS3 VR resolution was so weird.

Last edited:

Unknown?

It feels premium and cheap at the same time. Good materials and design, but no processor, no speakers and no wireless for 600€? Yeah, not happening..

I would like to see PS3 VR support in a future retro-compatibility tho. I tested it on PS4 PSVR, using an stupidly complex setup, and it worked really great with MotorStorm: Pacific Rift and Wipeout Fury VR.

The PS3 VR resolution was so weird.
Lmao, you don't want a shitty phone processor and why would you want speakers, to ruin the immersion by hearing everything else in your surroundings?

Top Bottom