• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 | Review Thread

ssringo

I wish this was wireless. It would have been day 1 for me. PS5 is big and I'm scared I'll tug on the wire and knock over the TV. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Just (carefully) stretch out the cable while setting up barriers so you know when you're moving too far away.

The cable is 4.5 meters or about 14.76 feet long. Decent amount of space to move about.

SLB1904

Banned
f1WfbwB.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It supports 120Hz and with the regular (albeit shitty) strap is lighter than the PSVR2 and it's only slightly heavier than the PSVR2 with the elite strap. You can stream at up to 150Mbps with HEVC which is more than sufficient and is pretty close to HDR 4k bluray. Virtual Desktop is completely fluid and easy to use.
It does have some latency and it does have lcd screens.
I forgot about 120hz, true. But streaming still looks like ass.
I had quest 1 and buddy had quest 2. I was using virtual desktop and he airlink and wired. No matter what setting, the compression was very visible

krumble

The launch lineup is fantastic as is. It's better than other headsets when they launched.

Also, why are people complaining about the price? PS VR 2 is so reasonably priced. PS VR 1 launched at $558, and that, too, 7 years ago. PS VR 2 at $550 with significantly improved tech is a steal.

Some peeps are struggling to pay their rent and their bills right now and a lot have lost their jobs due to the current economic crisis, don't be tone deaf on millions of people in western countries that can't afford to heat their house. It's a tough time to launch any piece of tech, but the psvr2 at £560 with horizon in the U.K. is a no to for 99% of the population right now. PSVR was expensive on launch but it was nowhere near the unpalatable price psvr2 is right now, the preorder numbers are a crap fest and they reduced production quotas by half for the year. I cancelled my preorder a few weeks after being "invited" to preorder in the 1st wave because it's not going to sell and much as I love the latest tech gadget I'm actually PLAYING a lot more of my games for the first time in decades and still have quite a backlog of games from the original PSVR if I'm honest, I stretch my wallet here and there for a new game around launch (hogwarts most recently) right now the balance proposition of buying a whole new eco system of games for the headset is too big an investment. I'm happy for those that can afford it but this isn't comparable to any gaming console launch either as both ps5 and series x pushed the limits there and their launch price was a good deal less than this headset
It's a shame the Microsoft / oculus deal that was in play at one point never came to fruition as allowing another manufacturers headset to work with Xbox would have made the market more competitive and also encouraged developers to expand the software selection.
I'm not quite in the vr is doomed category yet, but one of these companies needs to launch a headset at a consumer friendly point.
Apple could still jump in with their headset and it will be huge no doubt when it arrives and could reignite the market, I think we are in the same space that pc vr was when rift and Vive launched, expensive tech new to market that needs to be cheaper for mass adoption
Good luck to Sony, but the actual 1st party software support they gave PSVR when you look at it was probably less than they put into Vita ..

phaedrus

Some peeps are struggling to pay their rent and their bills right now and a lot have lost their jobs due to the current economic crisis, don't be tone deaf on millions of people in western countries that can't afford to heat their house. It's a tough time to launch any piece of tech, but the psvr2 at £560 with horizon in the U.K. is a no to for 99% of the population right now. PSVR was expensive on launch but it was nowhere near the unpalatable price psvr2 is right now, the preorder numbers are a crap fest and they reduced production quotas by half for the year. I cancelled my preorder a few weeks after being "invited" to preorder in the 1st wave because it's not going to sell and much as I love the latest tech gadget I'm actually PLAYING a lot more of my games for the first time in decades and still have quite a backlog of games from the original PSVR if I'm honest, I stretch my wallet here and there for a new game around launch (hogwarts most recently) right now the balance proposition of buying a whole new eco system of games for the headset is too big an investment. I'm happy for those that can afford it but this isn't comparable to any gaming console launch either as both ps5 and series x pushed the limits there and their launch price was a good deal less than this headset
It's a shame the Microsoft / oculus deal that was in play at one point never came to fruition as allowing another manufacturers headset to work with Xbox would have made the market more competitive and also encouraged developers to expand the software selection.
I'm not quite in the vr is doomed category yet, but one of these companies needs to launch a headset at a consumer friendly point.
Apple could still jump in with their headset and it will be huge no doubt when it arrives and could reignite the market, I think we are in the same space that pc vr was when rift and Vive launched, expensive tech new to market that needs to be cheaper for mass adoption
Good luck to Sony, but the actual 1st party software support they gave PSVR when you look at it was probably less than they put into Vita ..

typography font GIF

naguanatak

I'm very excited for next week.
Had PSVR1 a year after launch, enjoyed RE7, No Mans Sky (+ a couple of smaller titles that I never finished and YoutubeVR) until I had to play the PS4 Version on PS5 to play it in VR... Never used it after that point. Gave it away in december when I preordered PSVR2.
For me personally, No Man's Sky is enough to pay the 599€, but I'm a day1player who still plays 20-30 hours of it every couple of months. Since I will now be able to play VR and Pancake on the same save, I'm happy to dive in again...the scale and the presence of being there in a 'fully realised' universe is just a childhood dream come true.
GT7, RE8 and KayakVR also installed, can't wait to test everything and look forward to more stuff I haven't experienced yet.

For doubters or haters. Ignore it, bash it, hate it... I think there are enough people like me who see gaming as a hobby to have fun with, experience something you can't otherwise and have the money to spend, especially once word of mouth starts... Because it seems it is far ahead of PSVR possibilities, but let's wait and see what happens :messenger_sunglasses:

ABnormal

The launch line up complaints actually kinda trigger me. They did not even have RE8 or GT7 during the review process, they also assume that everyone that is going to buy the headset already played all the other ported games, they fail to realize this may be a lot of people's first VR experience. Same with the price complaints, they point out how amazing the tech of the headset and graphics are and then complain its more expensive than a Quest 2 or that you need a PS5, no shit, thats how you get the great image queality. They also fail to put the price into perspective, both not comparing it to the launch prices of PSVR1 and also not comparing with the actual PSVR2 competitors, the more than double the price and still worse PC VR headsets.
Sometimes is hard to understand if people writing those things are downright dumb or purposedly being false for the sake of some fanboyism or general hating. It's really depressing.

baphomet

There's so much stupid in what you've posted it's impressive.

Obviously, this isn't for people struggling to pay to heat their home. Just because some people are too poor to purchase high tech electronics doesn't mean shit. Least of all that they shouldn't exist.

The price of PSVR2 is significantly less than the $500 PSVR1 cost in 2016.

All that dumb shit about poor people not being able to own the latest tech, but you think Apple's $3,000 is going to be huge?

Soosa

Banned
when someone is struggling to pay their rent, it doesn't matter if PSVR2 (or other non-essential items) costs 199 or 599, it is not a good financial choice.

that argument is just lazy, we could also say "bbbbut people living in ghetto cant afford it!". There are just things that are what they are, and all cant afford everything.

I cant afford a house, new car, yacht etc. But that is just how it is, so should I go to yatch forums and say that "boo this new yacht costs 39 millions when people cant even buy a house!"?

Nobody needs psvr2, so people should stop whining about the price. Some people can afford it. some cant. and it should not be some shitty cheap thing with low tech just so some poor bastards can buy it "because it is cheap enough", instead of paying their rent.

And (at least at Finland) mobile carriers always sell tech for 0% fee payment plans, and many people with low income use them. Even I did order my psvr2 with 36 month plan, total cost is actually 1-2 € less than paying it fully on launch, so why not.

psvr2 costs 639-699€ here, and it is not really that expensive, yes it is about a months rent +-, but so are many things. Many people buy new 1000-2000€ phone yearly, or every 2-3rd year, many spend more to booze/bars/taxi/restaurants in a year. Hobby is a hobby, and paying 600€ to have a system for years isnt that much really.

Crayon

At home and cozy now. Watching these reviews. So fun.

Some sound like they were reading too many forums. Some are good and just review the hardware.

ABnormal

this kinda looks like shit.
Not sure if I want to downgrade my 4k oled hdr quality to... 4k hdr oled quality but with worse graphics lol.
I've had so much vr since first oculus dk1 .... 10 YEARS AGO... that "just being vr" is no longer a thing that draws me in
I'm sure you can imagine that a badly compressed image is NOT the real thing. Try get a look of THIS (set it at 4k):

And keep in mind that it's a caption from the share screen, which is only one of the two screens that you see when you play (it's half the pixel rendered per frame) and it even has blurred parts due to foveated rendering (parts that obviously you don't see when you play). When you play it your visual system fuses in one single perception DOUBLE pixels, and you only see the area with maximum detail.

Last edited:
Those people that cannot pay their rent can pay an Apple VR for 3000? But somehow the 549 is expensive you say? Awesome logic hoops taken here, congratulations. Also, the headset is not suddenly expensive because people are poor. The headset is cheap for what it is no matter how much money you or I have. If you can buy it, that is a separate question.

ABnormal

"With that said, there are some ancilliary benefits to PSVR2 that may sway you in terms of the purchasing decision. The screen is good. It's really good. If you're still gaming on an older 1080p screen with questionable HDR support or no HDR support at all, the theatre mode for regular PS5 gaming is exceptionally impressive. Owing to the head tracking, it's perhaps not as good as a regular 4K OLED, but it's broadly similar to gaming on a 1440p screen - albeit with excellent HDR and 120Hz support."

From digital foundry's review. I am glad he at least commented on this mode, and it sounds pretty good. But how does a 1080p signal using only the middle pixels of two 2000 x 2000 panels somehow looks as sharp as gaming on a 1440p screen?
I mean if this is true, that's great, but how?
Probably because the 1080p image displayed on PSVR2 screens is downsampled from 4k.

artsi

Seems like a great device otherwise but I can't go back to wired after using wireless VR with PC for years. I hope the next one (if there is PSVR3) will finally be untethered.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Salt overdose.
Better take some Pepto Bismol.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
So many poor takes in one post. Congrats.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Is blades and sorcery coming etc? But then you need mods becuse you simply have to have the lightsaber mod lol. Still would be fun without it.

Gorn etc.

Tygeezy

Something cool about using the vr headset to play flat games in cinema mode is all of the ps4 catalog and a lot of ps5 games didn’t get 120 hz support.

120 hz will be forced here because 60 hz on a vr headset would cause a lot of flicker. 60 fps at 90 hz would be a stutter fest and 30, 40 and 60 fps all go into 120.

You will have lower input lag due to 120 hz refresh as well as higher motion clarity because vr headsets require black frame insertion.

Crayon

Damn this is by far the best buy for a headset. Only caveat is no sideloading/mods. Huge caveat, in fact. But for hardware and games, this is it.

Tygeezy

Damn this is by far the best buy for a headset. Only caveat is no sideloading/mods. Huge caveat, in fact. But for hardware and games, this is it.
Some games like pavlov will have a built in mod installer. Pavlov use to use steam works for mod support but they’re switching to the in game modder like contractors has.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Yes, but a 1080p Tv doesn't have more pixels to show the actual resul of downsampling.
Neither does the psvr2. A huge portion of the 4k resolution makes up parts of the screen that don't form part of the 100" "virtual" screen. Maybe it's just a touch more than 1080p but seems unlikely.

ABnormal

I think you are missing my point ….

Very few people are interested in spending the much on high end VR headsets PERIOD. It doesn’t matter if the specs are great for $500. Very few people outside of the enthusiast and hardcore like us on neogaf will spend that much for VR.

$500 might be a steal for this type of headset but it’s still too expensive to hit mass appeal, there is a reason all those other high end VR headsets are not selling.
That's absolutely true but... so? That's Sony's problem and obviously they have taken that into account. For those who want high end VR and don't want to spend three times more on PC VR, PSVR2 will be a source of delight for several years to come. Are you concerned that if it will not make enough success they will not make PSVR3? Well, it's possible. Should they do not even try, then? Would be better not even having it now?
That doesn't make any sense. Reality is that the tech is here, now, and we will enjoy it much more than the VR that we already experienced, and probably for much more time (if PSVR1 is still receiving games now, with its old and cluncky tech, and with all the difficulties linked to its limited controls, you can easily imagine how much easier will be for developers to develop proper PSVR2 versions of their games).

Tarin02543

I hope this will be a big succes so that PSVR3 will be big on PS6.

What I would like to see Sony do is making VR an essential part of the PS. Maybe PS6 games could have a mandatory VR mode, even for the traditional games that are played with a dualsense only. The lowest condition could be that the game plays on the virtual cinema screen, one tier higher would be full 360 degrees view and even higher full motion controls (optional

ABnormal

Neither does the psvr2. A huge portion of the 4k resolution makes up parts of the screen that don't form part of the 100" "virtual" screen. Maybe it's just a touch more than 1080p but seems unlikely.
To not have more avaliable pixels for the image would mean that the used part of the screen is half of PSVR2 screens. Which is highly unlikely.

Tams

Mate, I'd say see a psychologist, but you're in the UK so good luck there...

It's a luxury product. No one needs it. And I can guarantee you that while many people are struggling to get by, many others absolutely do have the disposable income to buy a PSVR2.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I wish the cable was like 8 to 10 metres long. 4.5 metres seems short to me.

Also, Sony nailed the hardware. They need to officially support PC. Best headset for the price by a country mile

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

That's absolutely true but... so? That's Sony's problem and obviously they have taken that into account. For those who want high end VR and don't want to spend three times more on PC VR, PSVR2 will be a source of delight for several years to come. Are you concerned that if it will not make enough success they will not make PSVR3? Well, it's possible. Should they do not even try, then? Would be better not even having it now?
That doesn't make any sense. Reality is that the tech is here, now, and we will enjoy it much more than the VR that we already experienced, and probably for much more time (if PSVR1 is still receiving games now, with its old and cluncky tech, and with all the difficulties linked to its limited controls, you can easily imagine how much easier will be for developers to develop proper PSVR2 versions of their games).
Marketing helps. Sony knows that now is those that are really interested in VR that will buy it, later they can just add value by bundling games + TV adverts to get more people in.

Not big on VR but seems to be a great piece of tech. Will maybe pick it up years down the line when its significantly cheaper.

You better sit comfortably for some good 3-4 years, if not more.

500$ is obviously the cheapest they can make it, even with mass production and taking some loss per unit. They could have made it with inferior specs or less features but that would make it less attractive and wouldn't be able to keep up the whole gen.
It's more likely that they will add value to the 500$ (bundled games, ps+/ps wallet voucher, etc) than reduce price.
Even if the components become cheaper, they will want to ride the wave of selling at a small profit before thinking of lowering price. They only need it to be profitable by the end of the gen, doesn't have to be in the first two years (but it's very likely it will become profitable before that with software sales).

ABnormal

Well the best vr games are simple looking like beat saber, job sim, super hot ect…. Doesn’t take something much more powerful then a switch to run them well. The freedom from wires is the thing that makes vr great. Well unless u just sitting in a chair…. But is that real vr?
If you really think that VR means body controlled gaming, go ahead. To me, it's plunging into VR worlds, with the highest possible fidelity and interaction.

You are just referring to the casual market that supports titles like Beat Saber and the like. Which is good. But please, enough with "VR is that". VR wasn't born like that and you are just referring to the "Wii VR gamers" take of it. Otherwise there would not be tethered high end VR in the form of Vive, Pimax, Varjo, and similar ones. The fact that Quest 2 took the most of the market due to being cheap and standalone, doesn't automatically make it "the real VR". Actually, the only thing that does better is freeing the gamer on the body controlled titles. But it does everything else worse (like, two generations behind).
Just try to understand that as there are gamers who prefer high end console gaming and go to PS5 and XsX instead of Switch, so it is for VR.
There's nothing to be concerned about. Who is purchasing PSVR2 is not doing it to play Beat Saber first. If it would be for that, it would be better to play it on a standalone device and they would have already done it. So, there's no reason for concern, and nobody needs to be "saved" from ruin.

Last edited:

Crayon

Some games like pavlov will have a built in mod installer. Pavlov use to use steam works for mod support but they’re switching to the in game modder like contractors has.

That is excellent news. I hope more games try that. I want to see things like vr chat and bone lab but that sort of thing is all about the mods.

ABnormal

do we know if it supports VRR?
It HAS NOT to do it. VR needs stability on frame rate (especially if you have tight features like foveated rendering, which works on regular and small windows timeframes). Developers must assure frame rate stability, they cannot rely on VRR to cover for some lack of optimization. That implies that it could be necessary to cut down detail to steady frame rate, or use other solutions (variable foveation as variable resolution, for example).

Crayon

I cannot believe they did not give psvr without parole a set. Why on earth would they not get one? When I heard they weren't, I figured it must be a very select few but i'm seeing people on youtube that I have never heard of with these things.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Well, kinda pleased I’ve decided to hold off on getting one of these for a while. Seems like there’s some work to be done in terms of making this a must buy.

I’ll see where things lie in a few months.

SLB1904

Banned
I cannot believe they did not give psvr without parole a set. Why on earth would they not get one? When I heard they weren't, I figured it must be a very select few but i'm seeing people on youtube that I have never heard of with these things.
Yeah that some bullshit. But again they send to people that don't cover psvr probably to spread the word. Parole and their followers don't need selling lol

Crayon

Yeah that some bullshit. But again they send to people that don't cover psvr probably to spread the word. Parole and their followers don't need selling lol

There must be some kind of beef. That channel is a psvr advertisement 7 days a week for years. He's a big fat fanboy. I don't know how he would have got on sony's shitlist.

SLB1904

Banned
There must be some kind of beef. That channel is a psvr advertisement 7 days a week for years. He's a big fat fanboy. I don't know how he would have got on sony's shitlist.
He leaks loads of stuff but again I don't think there is beef. Also I think that guy dyer or whatever his name is. He posted a pic on twitter with a brown box.

Ozriel

M$FT
All reviews and people complaining about price comes from a deep jealousy and hatred that their pc is not the king of vr anymore. It’s honestly baffling because in the same sentence they mention Quest Pro or other 1500 dollar headsets and somehow the price of those less great than PSVR2 headsets doesn’t matter at all lol. They don’t even compare anything, they just have to say PSVR2 is expensive because my pcvr became worthless.

Man, what a weird post.
The reviews have been overwhelmingly positive. Like, this is almost certain to win all ‘hardware of the year’ awards.
it’s undeniable it’s expensive…and there’s no crime in pointing that out. It’s also undeniable that it’s great value for money…which is why it’s getting great reviews.

Nobody’s comparing it with the Quest Pro. Not sure where you got that from.

All reviews are glowing, except for some irrelevant (or actually just plain wrong) complaining about the price and compatibility with older software lol. The quality of the reviews are terrible to be honest because they put in a lot of irrelevant stuff to just be able to say some negatives about PSVR2. When they talk about the PSVR2 itself you can hear they're actually all say it's completely amazing.
Please enlighten me about those that aren't. What are their problems with the PSVR2? Reviews on page 1 are like 9/10 on average.

Have no idea how you agree that reviews are glowing, many 9/10 averages and yet you insist reviewers are jealous and bitter PCVR enthusiasts that are ‘haters’.

Man, what a weird post.
The reviews have been overwhelmingly positive. Like, this is almost certain to win all ‘hardware of the year’ awards.
it’s undeniable it’s expensive…and there’s no crime in pointing that out. It’s also undeniable that it’s great value for money…which is why it’s getting great reviews.

Nobody’s comparing it with the Quest Pro. Not sure where you got that from.

Have no idea how you agree that reviews are glowing, many 9/10 averages and yet you insist reviewers are jealous and bitter PCVR enthusiasts that are ‘haters’.
Look at his buying recommendation for example. I mean, he sort of says the headset is super amazing, but don't buy it. But you could better buy a Quest 2 you know :). That's what I mean with glowing reviews, and then actually saying you probably shouldn't buy it. It's not me that's weird. It's the reviews not making sense. It's literally in many of the reviews: "This PSVR2 is absolutely amazing, best in class!!!!", to follow up with "Don't buy it, it's expensive, go with Quest 2 instead" and some variables on that.

Or things like: It has no games because most of them are on Quest 2. Like... what? Yes so many people who will buy the headset didn't play any of those games yet. Also it releases with 30 games day 1 and some awesome AAA exclusives with more than 100 games already still in development. But no, they have to bring up the point PSVR2 doesn't have any killer app (Really? GT7, RE: Village do not count as killer apps?). So you shouldn't buy the PSVR2 because no games.

I mean, it's clear from the reviews that they all agree that the headset is the best available, but they try to come up with arbitrary reasons why you should not buy one. It's almost like some company pays them to say that.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Well, kinda pleased I’ve decided to hold off on getting one of these for a while. Seems like there’s some work to be done in terms of making this a must buy.

I’ll see where things lie in a few months.

I wish I had your patience, i was getting some serious FOMO plus the last thing i bought myself was a S22 Ultra, so it was time for a wee me treat. Its an expensive treat but i justify it to myself in that the kids will get some great fun out of it along with the wider family when they gather at mine, plus fuck me Horizon looks incredible.

Marvel14

Banned
As with all platforms since forever.
I love VR, I’ll be investing once AAA devs are investing. Already done the indie/AA thing, it’s not enough for me.
It needs 10-15 killer apps - must play games that can absorb you for 15 plus hours and make you want to come back to replay. I don't think it has any yet. ..and the form needs to advance to allow more freedom and fewer or softer linear handrails.

I'm aiming for a PSVR2 purchase in a couple of years once the exclusive killer apps are there in sufficient volume.

Marvel14

Banned
Look at his buying recommendation for example. I mean, he sort of says the headset is super amazing, but don't buy it. But you could better buy a Quest 2 you know :). That's what I mean with glowing reviews, and then actually saying you probably shouldn't buy it. It's not me that's weird. It's the reviews not making sense. It's literally in many of the reviews: "This PSVR2 is absolutely amazing, best in class!!!!", to follow up with "Don't buy it, it's expensive, go with Quest 2 instead" and some variables on that.

Or things like: It has no games because most of them are on Quest 2. Like... what? Yes so many people who will buy the headset didn't play any of those games yet. Also it releases with 30 games day 1 and some awesome AAA exclusives with more than 100 games already still in development. But no, they have to bring up the point PSVR2 doesn't have any killer app (Really? GT7, RE: Village do not count as killer apps?). So you shouldn't buy the PSVR2 because no games.

I mean, it's clear from the reviews that they all agree that the headset is the best available, but they try to come up with arbitrary reasons why you should not buy one. It's almost like some company pays them to say that.

Take a look back at Switch reviews. They weren't stellar and the machine is incredible. Reviewers are often not able to fully appreciate the hardware they review in the short periods they have with it. It doesn't matter...there is enough positive buzz..its the games that will sell it...

Last edited:

Mephisto40

I'll definatley be picking one of these up at some point, but it's priced way out of what I can afford at the moment

I spashed out on a PSVR1 at launch and didnt regret it at all, when rush of blood 2 gets released i'll be even more tempted

Darko

Is there a media player coming? With sbs support? A browser? I’m hoping for deovr but probly no :(

I’d love to have plex on this baby (with 3d)… I wouldn’t need my tv anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom