• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychology of content creation

Whitecrow

Banned
Hello there fellow gaffers, Im making this thread in hopes of hearing some advice and what do you think on how to handle this next issue.

I have this itch of making gameplays of my favourite games that I just cant forget about.

I've tried a few times but I always end whatever game i'm recording after a few videos and just tell myself Im not made for this, but still, I always find myself thinking about it.

I have to say that my adhd does not help at all, but besides that, those are the thoughts that are actually keeping me from trying again:

-Its not worth if im not good enough to grow
-My mood is not energetic or positive enough to be likeable
-I fear of showing myself and then failing
-I fear of people thinking that I think of myself as someone 'important' enough to be the center of attention.
-Im bad at speaking and a lot of times my vocalization sucks.

A friend of mine already told me a couple of times that I lack energy. And thats right, Im always struggling on that front, but I dont know how bad it really is.

Also, using webcam makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, but its kinda required to get close to your audience.

So... Here's the question. How should I approach this? Or is there even a solution?
Thanks for reading < 3

Skyfox

Some people use a digital avatar. Vtubers

Connecting to an audience is do-able no matter your skill level. Getting big numbers is an entirely different thing. Going pro is like becoming a plumber or a famous chef or something. It takes a serious amount of dedication.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Have you tried filming yourself in a kiddy pool? But yeah, if not completely extroverted and self-absorbed, even with good ideas it's difficult to shine.

FunkMiller

Sounds more like you don't really enjoy streaming, but feel obliged because it's the trendy thing to do.

Agreed. OP… from the sounds of things, it might not be for you? Streaming is all about connecting with an audience, which requires a great deal of effort, and an extrovert personality. You have to be entertaining, which is a lot more difficult than it sounds. I guess if it’s just a way to pass the time, you’re good… but maybe not so much if you’re looking to monetise? Main thing is, do what is comfortable and fun. Life’s too short to fuck about doing stuff you don’t enjoy.

Kev Kev

dont worry so much about feeling like your not good at it or what other people think about it. these things need to come from a place of wanting to do it for yourself bc you find it enjoyable. i teach music and the number one way i see students get good at their instrument is when they lock onto something in the music that they find interesting and enjoyable. then they stop caring about what everyone else thinks and they just play for fun and enjoy it, and after a few years of that they get really good.

it sounds like youve tried a few times and youre going through the normal steps of being bad at something. only way to get good is to keep going. and the only way to keep going is enjoy the process. good luck to you.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Most of YouTubers are acting anyway!

Here’s how I think, as long as you’re having fun, record yourself, or just the gameplay…
If you are so afraid or overthinking then I think you are just trying to show yourself that you can do this!

So what’s more important to you? Having a turmoil in your thoughts or just focus on something else?

I think a solution would be doing what you like - your way! Everyone is different and just because most streamers are over dramatic, energetic and “funny” doesn’t mean you must behave like that.

Just be authentic and show yourself without fear! Trust me it can be really liberating.

Sakura

Hello there fellow gaffers, Im making this thread in hopes of hearing some advice and what do you think on how to handle this next issue.

I have this itch of making gameplays of my favourite games that I just cant forget about.

I've tried a few times but I always end whatever game i'm recording after a few videos and just tell myself Im not made for this, but still, I always find myself thinking about it.

I have to say that my adhd does not help at all, but besides that, those are the thoughts that are actually keeping me from trying again:

-Its not worth if im not good enough to grow
-My mood is not energetic or positive enough to be likeable
-I fear of showing myself and then failing
-I fear of people thinking that I think of myself as someone 'important' enough to be the center of attention.
-Im bad at speaking and a lot of times my vocalization sucks.

A friend of mine already told me a couple of times that I lack energy. And thats right, Im always struggling on that front, but I dont know how bad it really is.

Also, using webcam makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, but its kinda required to get close to your audience.

So... Here's the question. How should I approach this? Or is there even a solution?
Thanks for reading < 3
Why do you want to be a content creator? As a hobby, or are you trying to make a career out of it? Because these are very different things.

Any way, you don't need to have "energy". But if you are trying to reach an audience, you do need to be entertaining. Rather than being a high energy type of guy, you could try dry humour or something, as an example. Play to your strengths, rather than just trying to copy the most popular youtubers.
This guy creates game content but he isn't highly energetic or positive. He still gets millions of views though.

There is also no need to show your face. There are lots of people out there covering games that don't show any video of themselves. If your content is entertaining, then people will watch it.
Also, I think not showing your face when you aren't comfortable would probably make the whole process easier for you.
Worrying about getting close to your audience, when you don't have an audience, is kind of pointless.

If you are really worried about what people think about you or how they see you though, then I'm not sure why you would want to pursue this path.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Practice, practice, practice. You don't need to upload the videos until you've improved. Also you don't need to be on camera, voiceover is fine.
Never thought about it that way, honestly. Looks like a good way to lose some fear. Like, do some recordings only for reviewing them later and see how you can improve, before really commiting.
Some people use a digital avatar. Vtubers

Connecting to an audience is do-able no matter your skill level. Getting big numbers is an entirely different thing. Going pro is like becoming a plumber or a famous chef or something. It takes a serious amount of dedication.
Vtubers are something I researched a bit, but at the end is not something I really like to see, so doing it myself is almost totally discarded.
Have you tried filming yourself in a kiddy pool? But yeah, if not completely extroverted and self-absorbed, even with good ideas it's difficult to shine.
Yeah, being an introvert is a big handicap here. But I think that with the right ammount if practice I could make up for that.
Sounds more like you don't really enjoy streaming, but feel obliged because it's the trendy thing to do.
More than being trendy, is because I dont like to be alone ad I would like to share things with people, but at the same time that, those thoughts I described makes it a big effort to do.
Agreed. OP… from the sounds of things, it might not be for you? Streaming is all about connecting with an audience, which requires a great deal of effort, and an extrovert personality. You have to be entertaining, which is a lot more difficult than it sounds. I guess if it’s just a way to pass the time, you’re good… but maybe not so much if you’re looking to monetise? Main thing is, do what is comfortable and fun. Life’s too short to fuck about doing stuff you don’t enjoy.
I kinda agree that it's not for me, but in the sense of making a carrer out of it. I know Im not that kind of person. Still, it's something I like to do. But then I struggle to start because I fail to find a meaning if I assume I will never grow...
dont worry so much about feeling like your not good at it or what other people think about it. these things need to come from a place of wanting to do it for yourself bc you find it enjoyable. i teach music and the number one way i see students get good at their instrument is when they lock onto something in the music that they find interesting and enjoyable. then they stop caring about what everyone else thinks and they just play for fun and enjoy it, and after a few years of that they get really good.

it sounds like youve tried a few times and youre going through the normal steps of being bad at something. only way to get good is to keep going. and the only way to keep going is enjoy the process. good luck to you.
100% agree with you there. That served me well when studying piano in fact. I only got to learn pieces I really liked, and almost never what I was suposed to play in class.
Most of YouTubers are acting anyway!

Here’s how I think, as long as you’re having fun, record yourself, or just the gameplay…
If you are so afraid or overthinking then I think you are just trying to show yourself that you can do this!

So what’s more important to you? Having a turmoil in your thoughts or just focus on something else?

I think a solution would be doing what you like - your way! Everyone is different and just because most streamers are over dramatic, energetic and “funny” doesn’t mean you must behave like that.

Just be authentic and show yourself without fear! Trust me it can be really liberating.
I really appreciate those words! I think you nailed it.

Why do you want to be a content creator? As a hobby, or are you trying to make a career out of it? Because these are very different things.

Any way, you don't need to have "energy". But if you are trying to reach an audience, you do need to be entertaining. Rather than being a high energy type of guy, you could try dry humour or something, as an example. Play to your strengths, rather than just trying to copy the most popular youtubers.
This guy creates game content but he isn't highly energetic or positive. He still gets millions of views though.

There is also no need to show your face. There are lots of people out there covering games that don't show any video of themselves. If your content is entertaining, then people will watch it.
Also, I think not showing your face when you aren't comfortable would probably make the whole process easier for you.
Worrying about getting close to your audience, when you don't have an audience, is kind of pointless.

If you are really worried about what people think about you or how they see you though, then I'm not sure why you would want to pursue this path.

The thing is, I'm not 100% sure... honestly, I thinkk the probleem is that I would really like to get some decent profit out of it, but knowing that thats kinda impossible for me, makes me not even trying, and that makes me angry lol

Sooo, thank you a lot guys, I really needed this to get some "self-reflection" done, because I was kinda stuck in my thoughts, and was in need of some extra push.

Clearly, looks like I'm too worried about not being how I assume a Youtuber should be, and I'm not letting myself be just me. I guess I just need to not think this much about cam, or energy levels, as long as I'm having fun.

Noted!

Last edited:

Catphish

The only way to know is to try. Make something, throw it out there, learn from your mistakes, try again, learn more, do it again.

Make 3 things. You should know by then if it's for you.

Don't worry about douchebags. They will always be there. Even the best content creators field shit comments from douchebags.

Fuck em. Do your thing. Who knows who you might make happy or even inspire.

I've always wanted to try creating content myself but, the truth is, I'm too much of a junkie to stop gaming long enough to do something productive. :D

Soodanim

Mate, stop overthinking it. Make content you want to make, and make it the way you want to make it. If you don’t want to make it, you won’t enjoy it, and worst case that’s not a hobby and best case you hate your new “job”.

If you’re no good at it and the decide that putting the work in to get better isn’t what you want, then at least you tried, no shame in that.

Whatever you do, don’t be fake. You can’t want to connect with an audience if you’re not being yourself.

Droxcy

Just start doing things, recording gameplay with your commentary, streaming, doing things that interest you. I also have this dilemma sometimes but best way to learning what you need to work on is just starting!

Top Bottom