• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 Console Performance And Resolutions Revealed

elliot5

Double Fine: ~80 employees working on 9 different platform SKUs and committing themselves to their crowdfunding promises

San Diego Studio: 1000+ employees working on a yearly MLB game with the MLB publishing native Xbox editions

Brainlets: "woaawww gimp much why no native ps5 port wtf MS"

Last edited:
Double Fine: ~80 employees working on 9 different platform SKUs and committing themselves to their crowdfunding promises

San Diego Studio: 1000+ employees working on a yearly MLB game with the MLB publishing native Xbox editions

Brainlets: "woaawww gimp much why no native ps5 port wtf MS"

The forward support on the Boxes platform is better and easier to do, but it's not difficult anymore for multi generational games to support the PS5, it's just a matter to add one more settings like they did to enable a higher setting for the Pro.

elliot5

The forward support on the Boxes platform is better and easier to do, but it's not difficult anymore for multi generational games to support the PS5, it's just a matter to add one more settings like they did to enable a higher setting for the Pro.
that assumes DF has access to PS5 devkits and the bandwidth of engineering and QA to play through the game and make sure there's no bugs introduced or performance issues with playing it in BC mode. It's more than just toggling some setting when considering the entire picture. What about save transfer support if at all? Testing the store. Testing trophies. Etc.

Dr.Morris79

When did those games release again?
When did One X release?
When did PS4 Pro release?
Hmmm... Nah that couldn't be why.

This game isn't exclusive.
...Funny how Dark souls 3 and Watchdogs 2 got a bump on the Series X

When DID they release again?

Hmmm, interesting, yes?

Mr Moose

...Funny how Dark souls 3 and Watchdogs 2 got a bump on the Series X

When DID they release again?

Hmmm, interesting, yes?
What are you talking about? They didn't get an official patch because the One X came out a year later. Not interesting at all.
I'm still waiting for a Bloodborne patch for the Pro.

What I mean is that it has features exclusive to Xbox Series, like 120fps and higher res.
So yes, in some ways it is exclusive to Xbox Series.

Or one could think like this:
The base version is Xbox One and PS4, because this was originally announced and promised.
Series port is first party and next-gen exclusive.
No.
The game isn't exclusive, stop with the spin, you'll make yourself dizzy.

Dr.Morris79

What are you talking about? They didn't get an official patch because the One X came out a year later. Not interesting at all.

No.
Fair enough, you've got a point, still pissed me off at the time, mind you. And we're never getting 'that' patch!

Absolutely, that's what I love about Xbox Game Studios as of late, they could've easily canceled the PS5 version and made this one Xbox and PC only, a dick move that Sony would've easily pulled off if they acquired a studio, only recently they started sharing games on PC, and even that's rare.
Indeed Phil and Co. have made lots of pro consumer moves even for people who don't purchase an Xbox. All that good will will go a long way.

Lol the only way for Microsoft to show the superiority of the XSX is to do the bare minimum on PS5
aMoj8a3.png

At least Sony did the job on mlb the show.
Will they next year? They're contractually obligated to make it. Now that it's made just do the American thing and quarter ass it. Mlb 2k here we go boi!

JackMcGunns

That doesnt explain lack of HDR

It's quite the opposite. Had the game been built with HDR from the ground up, there would be support on PC and PS5, but then there would be issues for PS4/Xbox One. Clearly HDR was added as an additional bonus for Series X, naturally coming from an internal studio. Unless Sony is paying for the man hours, why would MS invest any extra on PS5 for a feature that's not there to begin with? I mean I'm sure you're not suggesting they REMOVED HDR for PS5 and PC lol.

Mr Moose

It's quite the opposite. Had the game been built with HDR from the ground up, there would be support on PC and PS5, but then there would be issues for PS4/Xbox One. Clearly HDR was added as an additional bonus for Series X, naturally coming from an internal studio. Unless Sony is paying for the man hours, why would MS invest any extra on PS5 for a feature that's not there to begin with? I mean I'm sure you're not suggesting they REMOVED HDR for PS5 and PC lol.
There is no PS5 version, the PS4 supports HDR.

No they didn't remove it. Also, other posts in this thread clarified the situation about the HDR. They didn't add or remove anything, no version has it, it's just supported by the Auto HDR function on the Series Consoles.

GHG

Gold Member
Absolutely, that's what I love about Xbox Game Studios as of late, they could've easily canceled the PS5 version and made this one Xbox and PC only, a dick move that Sony would've easily pulled off if they acquired a studio, only recently they started sharing games on PC, and even that's rare.

Imagine typing all that nonsense when there is no PS5 version of the game.

graywolf323

Gold Member
honestly as someone who backed this way back in the day via Fig I'm rather annoyed they made a next-gen native version for Xbox but not PS5

honestly as someone who backed this way back in the day via Fig I'm rather annoyed they made a next-gen native version for Xbox but not PS5

Microsoft have been pro-consumer enough here to ensure you get the PS4 version obligated before the buyout. Stop trying to rain on their parade

HoofHearted

Like pro consumer? Right? That fuck out here. (Not you obviously)
No offense taken - it is what it is... ;)

I'm not surprised honestly - I expect this type of "release strategy" will be what's provided for any remaining XGS titles with any type contractual obligations for games on PlayStation moving forward.

With respect to the PS5 (non)"version" discussion - this is semantics.

To the general market, and from a pure business perspective - there is a PS5 version - it's just not optimized to take advantage of the PS5 hardware.

To the average consumer purchasing this game (Mommy running through the store and picking it up for little Johnny with the groceries) - they won't know the difference - it'll be labeled as a PS5 version and Mommy will simply find the game labeled as "PS5" version and throw it in the cart...

Roberts

I stand corrected on thinking that the game doesn’t have a native HDR.

But I don’t think it really changes anything. If MS didnt buy DF, all systems would get a compromised version of the game. I vaguely remember reading an interview with Schafer where he said that MS involvement helped them put content (I think he was talking about bosses) that they simply couldn’t afford with the initial budget they had. So, no matter how you look at it, we will get a better, more polished game now. And the fact that XS consoles get a little extra is not really an issue.

MadViking

No.
I don't really care either way, I'm just going to enjoy it

Top Bottom