• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 is a masterclass in level design

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Was an awesome game, enjoyed it much more than Ratchet and Clank and I only mention that as they felt similar in what they were going for.

Ratchet was the mainstream simple playthrough game and Psychonauts 2 felt like an actual game that was made with some very clever writing and characters. Some genius levels too, absolutely bat shit some of it.

Last edited:

Rykan

Hopefully, MS will give them the Banjo license so they can make a platformer that doesn't have disgusting character design.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Really, the game is surprisingly short compared to the first one. I think there is some hidden stuff in there that I missed.
If you include the VR game, it seems more reasonable.
This is simply not true. The second game is like 25% longer. I played them both last year. And howlongtobeat averages back me up on this.

SF Kosmo

Hopefully, MS will give them the Banjo license so they can make a platformer that doesn't have disgusting character design.
Um, which Banjo license are we talking about here? The only one I know is Banjo Kazooie, which has characters that looked ripped from generic brand breakfast breakfast cereals that come in bags.

Topher

Gold Member
Was an awesome game, enjoyed it much more than Ratchet and Clank and I only mention that as they felt similar in what they were going for.

Ratchet was the mainstream simple playthrough game and Psychonauts 2 felt like an actual game that was made with some very clever writing and characters. Some genius levels too, absolutely bat shit some of it.

Psychonauts 2 was the better platformer. Ratchet and Clank was the better shooter. So I liked the gameplay in both for different reasons.

I thought Psychonauts 2 definitely had the better story though.

Rykan

Um, which Banjo license are we talking about here? The only one I know is Banjo Kazooie, which has characters that looked ripped from generic brand breakfast breakfast cereals that come in bags.
Well, I happen to like breakfast cereals.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Psychonauts 2 was the better platformer. Ratchet and Clank was the better shooter. So I liked the gameplay in both for different reasons.

I thought Psychonauts 2 definitely had the better story though.

Yup, great points. Completely agree. In my head I always think ratchet as a platformer but it's actually a great shooter.

SF Kosmo

Milkman. Bullfight. Napoleon. Godzilla.
These levels had some of the best concepts and visual design in either game but that doesn't mean they necessarily play great. Milkman Conspiracy is a fetch quest, Goggolor plays in slow motion. I don't think Psychonauts 2's level concepts are quite as funny as the best stuff in the first game but they're a lot more fun to play.

Top Bottom