• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 - Preview Gameplay (Xbox Series X)

Good to see Series S going beyond 1440p here, also the option of 120fps on top. Great news.

This is an excellent sign for Microsoft first parties.

This is now two major Xbox first party studios successfully hitting the suggested capability of Series S. It was advertised as a 1440p machine also.

id Software hit 1440p 60fps with the next gen doom eternal's balanced mode also. No ray tracing of course due to the memory situation, but that's fine. Maybe in the future they can work that in as they further optimize.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sarcasm detected 😳 bit of a shame for PS5 owners if I'm honest but that's the way these things go I guess.
It’s just the PS4 version with unlocked frame rate. Not sure that it is doing the PS5 any justice haha. Maybe I’m missing the irony, or sarcasm in your post.
Misread the resolution. Thought it was 4k @ 60fps. Glad they unlocked the frame-rate though for people playing on PS5.

Fuz

Banned
give_it_to_me.gif

Considering the studio called this game finished back in December and have been doing QA since I'm expecting a lot from this release. Last year I played through the original version with mods on PC (widescreen, etc) and other than the really rough meat circus stage I had a lot of fun with the gameplay and the characters/setting. The only thing I thought after playing the first was that it would have been nice if the team had taken more time to polish up the game which is exactly what they've done here.

Last edited:

rubhen925

The Game Informer previewed said that the controls didn’t quite feel tight enough, any thoughts on this?
I personally had no issues with controlling the character or gameplay. It worked fine. The only issue I had was interacting with the Y button. At times the input would drop and I would have to press the button again to open the door or interacting with an object. Combat and platforming wise had no issues.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
2 and 1/2 hours of gameplay and you can't tell us if it was fun to play so far? Nda?

rubhen925

2 and 1/2 hours of gameplay and you can't tell us if it was fun to play so far? Nda?
LMAO no NDA on that. I had a blast. In my comments on the video itself I mentioned it was great. My bad. I usually leave my opinions in these threads but I didn't sleep at all so working a bit slow today. It was fun and entertaining throughout. No questions there. It actually changed my mind about maybe pre-order to yes pre-order.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
LMAO no NDA on that. I had a blast. In my comments on the video itself I mentioned it was great. My bad. I usually leave my opinions in these threads but I didn't sleep at all so working a bit slow today. It was fun and entertaining throughout. No questions there. It actually changed my mind about maybe pre-order to yes pre-order.

Oh good, thats what I was hoping to hear, thanks! I didn't get a chance to watch any vids yet.

Kuranghi

These replies are getting me randy, sounds great.

door rubbing GIF

Are there PC previews? I'm wondering what type of reflections those are I see in the 2nd video in the OP, if its SSR I really hope you can turn that all off for a big fps/res bump, as long as you do it before you start the game you don't even know what you're missing.

Reason being that I think I saw some weird ghosting caused by some form of TAA/reconstruction interacting badly with the reflections in the same video, it might've been youtube encode fuckery though and also on PC it might not even have the same reconstruction anyway. As soon as I see these type of artifacts introduced over SSR or related reflections I'm like to turn it off these days, because I prefer a higher res + less smeary image and you get a big boost to perf as well.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I've seen people make a similar claim on the original and I absolutely love the way it controls, so I'm not particularly worried.
Then again I have yet to play the sequel, so it's hard to tell before that point.

Yeah I don't really get that, I loved the ball thingie movement, made travelling through the hub so much faster as the game went on, maybe you could say the bar swinging was a bit pants but I liked everything else.

Kuranghi

Anyone got a better deal on Steam key than fucking 54 quid?

I'm not paying that for a PC game, thats insane to me. Its only a pound cheaper on key resellers vs. Steam itself so they must be keeping a tight leash on their keys ie region-locking.

BabyYoda

Banned
I must resist watching the gameplay, I've already seen too much...loved the original when it came out on the original Xbox and enjoyed it again recently on Steam, this is looking too good to be true honestly. I have no idea why the original wasn't a big success honestly, I just knew from previews and early gameplay that it was going to be a classic and it exceeded my expectations! I'm very glad the sequel has a low chance of being overlooked this time, considering it's on gamepass. Hope it's as well written as the original (all signs point to yes) and woke free!

[Sigma]

Smoove move by them, got off making a PS5 version on a technicality. But Jim don't play that shit, just got word from him saying look forward to MLB The Show 22 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Smoove move by them, got off making a PS5 version on a technicality. But Jim don't play that shit, just got word from him saying look forward to MLB The Show 22 :messenger_tears_of_joy:
That not gone to happen as MLB own the The Show license ain't no way they will let Sony gimped the game on Xbox since it has crossplay lol So it needs parity.

Kagey K

Banned
Not watching any of this because I want to go in blind, but it’s nice to see it being overwhelmingly praised like this.

The extra time and money from MS seems to have been put to good use.

Reactions: Isa

trikster40

So, there’s no actual PS5 version right? It’s just the PS4 version in BC? Is the XSX version just the X1 version?

supernova8

Banned
I kinda found it boring to sit through.. maybe I will watch it again on a train or something when I can sink my teeth into it.

Kagey K

Banned
you can clearly see it says ps4 Bc mode, stop with your bullshit. :messenger_grinning:
The Series version is the same, last gen but using the SDK tricks to optimize for it.

Stop making excuses for Sonys shitty BC implementation.

It's the exact same situation as Mass Effect.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Sarcasm detected 😳 bit of a shame for PS5 owners if I'm honest but that's the way these things go I guess.
I think he was being genuine with his comment, they made the ps5 version 60fps, when they didn't need to do that, as they fulfilled their contractual obligations with the PS4 release.

But I could be wrong...

I'm actually really looking forward too this, the art style looks really charming, hopefully I enjoy the game :)

Last edited:
I think he was being genuine with his comment, they made the ps5 version 60fps, when they didn't need to do that, as they fulfilled their contractual obligations with the PS4 release.

But I could be wrong...

I'm actually really looking forward too this, the art style looks really charming, hopefully I enjoy the game :)
Microsoft generally make the right moves but I feel not doing a genuine PS5 version is not the right move in this instance.

martino

edit : just thought about it ...is hdr , auto hdr ? forget what i said if it's the case but it's not proper hdr support then

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Microsoft generally make the right moves but I feel not doing a genuine PS5 version is not the right move in this instance.
That would be to do with backwards compatibility though and how much you can do with that on PS5 with PS4 titles.
You can turn it around and blame Sony for not having better backwards compatibility options too.
I think Microsoft did more than they needed too personally.

But regardless atleast ps5 users will get a decent 60fps experience, would suck if it was locked to 30fps imo

SkylineRKR

If Ps5 would be on par to Series X I might've tried that one, but now I just stick with S which is kind of free anyway. 120hz feels amazing for platform games.

This game is a good case that clearly lays out the differences between the systems;

Base PS4 is 1080p/30
One X is 4k, sure, but only at 30fps.
Pro being a bit weaker, is 1440p at 30fps.
Series S is 1440p (a bit higher in fact) at 60fps, drops to 1080p at 120.
Series X simply delivers 4k at 60hz. Drops to 1440p at 120hz.
PS5 is the PS4 Pro version running in 60fps boost mode.

Last edited:
Top Bottom