• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 review thread

Banjo64

cumsessed

vd58sie.jpg

6cNwW9B.jpg

Easy Allies: 95

God is a Geek: 9.5

Gaming Bolt: 90

The Gamer: 90

Gamesradar: 90

Windows Central: 90

GameInformer: 90

Gamespot: 90

The Sixth Axis: 90

Hardcore Gamer: 90

Jeuxvideo: 85

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Is there a reason why people use metacritic over opencritic? I noticed opencritic has 80+ reviews at 89% and 99% recommended.

Genuinly curious, or is opencritic not a well received site or something?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Ohh boy here we go with the Metacritic bullshit

Thankfully you can free yourself from the Metacritic bullshit.....

umXpoiq.png

Is there a reason why people use metacritic over opencritic? I noticed opencritic has 80+ reviews at 89% and 99% recommended.

Genuinly curious, or is opencritic not a well received site or something?

Metacritic has just been around longer and the one folks turn to first. Open critic is just as valid a tool to me.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
This is turning into a solid year for GP. Hades, Psychonauts 2, 12 minutes, Forza 5, Halo, Sea of Thieves, all the next gen upgrades, plus the whole back catalog up on there.

There's room to grow, for sure, but we already know they're doing that...and the 2021 lineup isn't looking bad.

I wasn't going to play this game but now I am. Cool.

Last edited:
This is turning into a solid year for GP. Hades, Psychonauts 2, 12 minutes, Forza 5, Halo, Sea of Thieves, all the next gen upgrades, plus the whole back catalog up on there.

There's room to grow, for sure, but we already know they're doing that...and the 2021 lineup isn't looking bad.

I rated that E3 a 9.5 at the time. I think it's still hitting people how much stuff they announced. I'm going to be happy with some AA games too like Aragami 2 next month. Rumors of Skatebird on Gamepass, but who knows.

But at least for Psychonauts 2 both PS and Xbox gamers can play it. The series is super underrated and niche, so the more people that play this the better.

Glad to see this game is doing strongly with the reviews. In an ideal world people wouldn't use things like MC as an end-all be-all determination of a game's quality/worth, but at least when a game scores very well on it, that can shut up certain narratives, if just for a moment.

I'd definitely like to take a crack at it later in the year or early next year when I pick up a Series (not sure which one to get yet tbh) and I'm really excited to see what Double Fine decide to pursue for their next project.

Yeah and....

Flight Sim- 91 Opencritic Score
Omno - 79 Opencritic score Day 1 release
Humankind- 80 Opencritic score Day 1 release PC Gamepass
Death's Door- 88 Opencritic score

Death's Door didnt come to Gamepass tho. still if you are part of the Xbox ecosystem you have been feasting the last 6 weeks. It feels like PS and Xbox switched roles. There was always something to play on PS4 and not as much on Xbox One. Now MS is killing it with exclusives and Day 1 GP releases

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Yeah and....

Flight Sim- 91 Opencritic Score
Omno - 79 Opencritic score Day 1 release
Humankind- 80 Opencritic score Day 1 release PC Gamepass
Death's Door- 88 Opencritic score

Death's Door didnt come to Gamepass tho. still if you are part of the Xbox ecosystem you have been feasting the last 6 weeks. It feels like PS and Xbox switched roles. There was always something to play on PS4 and not as much on Xbox One. Now MS is killing it with exclusives and Day 1 GP releases
Knew I forgot some, but Flight Sim is a big one. Good catch.

Death's Door is not on GP, however. Yet.
Still, it is good for Xbox and helps them clear the drought they were in, so yeah.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Ya but, 343 screwed it up, the sky is falling, waaaaaaa cry waaaaaa cry..........

Wait, wrong thread, this is cool, was hoping for good scores. Imagine waiting for a game to actually come out before declaring it a success or failure!

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

Flight Simulator too!

Rhyming Leonardo Dicaprio GIF

Also I prefer Opencritic over Metacritic in general. I don't know why but it seems like the score there is more accurate for some reason.

Are the different critics weighted differently with Opencritic?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I never played the first one...definitely will be downloading this tonight and trying it out. Nice Job Double Fine.

elliot5

Rhyming Leonardo Dicaprio GIF

Also I prefer Opencritic over Metacritic in general. I don't know why but it seems like the score there is more accurate for some reason.

Are the different critics weighted differently with Opencritic?
metacritic is everyone averaged. OpenCritic only averages the "top critics" for the number, but has the general review as the % recommended. Kinda like Rotten Tomatoes.

metacritic is everyone averaged. OpenCritic only averages the "top critics" for the number, but has the general review as the % recommended. Kinda like Rotten Tomatoes.

Ok seems like that's a good way to stop review bombs.

Also with Metacritic I always thought the critics had different weights applied to them. Is this true?

not that I know of

NVM I actually found the answer that was looking for.

WHY THE TERM “WEIGHTED AVERAGE” MATTERS​

Metascore is a weighted average in that we assign more importance, or weight, to some critics and publications than others, based on their quality and overall stature. In addition, for music and movies, we also normalize the resulting scores (akin to "grading on a curve" in college), which prevents scores from clumping together.

I read about this first on Gaf a while back.

Last edited:
interesting

I'm guessing this means they give more weight to sites like IGN over small obscure sites. Not that I agree with that method because the quality of the review depends on who writes it. Someone troll on IGN could review bomb the game just to lower the score while some honest critic from a small site doesn't have an impact.

BabyYoda

Banned
Although I don't put too much stock in the MSM reviews, I'm really glad it's doing well there. Youtubers that I like are also loving the game, like crazy high praise, which makes me even happier! Loved the original and will be playing the sequel the second it come out, it's been a 16 year wait man!

This is kinda like Yoko Taro finally getting top tier praise on NieR Automata after years of being ignored.

Hopefully Double Fine takes this success and continues to raise expectations. Sometimes they've put out some crappy stuff, but this could be a new chapter for them going forward.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So were happy Neogaf? I don't see much activity here and it seems like almost GotY material this year
MSFS2020 on XBOX is, but that's besides the point.

So were happy Neogaf? I don't see much activity here and it seems like almost GotY material this year
MSFS2020 on XBOX is, but that's besides the point.

Not sure large swaths of Gaf will ever truly be “happy” when an Xbox studio game receives universal acclaim, but at least there does seem to be a lack of attempts to downplay the game by those who usually would.

And yeah, Flight Sim is my GOTY easily. No interest in getting a gaming PC so Flight Sim is a new title for me in 2021.

Top Bottom