• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 review thread

Why is anyone salty?
MtZ9N.gif

The idiotic review-bombing in the User Reviews have started. Influx of negative reviews and while the No Russian-based ones are possibly valid in some of their sentiment, but then there's ones like this:

User: Steyraus

In no universe is this outdated, dull game a 10 out of 10..These Xbox fanboys need to stop review boosting games just because they are from Xbox.Your not getting paid like reviewers are , so dont do it.
Another gringe uninspired game from Tim Shafer. Off course the youranists luv it cause Tims that special brand of political they luv and makes damn sure his politic is in his game..
The game is boring, the story and characters are ugly and crigne. Apparently childish , brain dead humor is appealing to califirnians

Who are very clearly review-bombing for console war BS and like a growing list of anti-SJWs, violently shoving their politics where it's not involved just like how SJWs tend to (it's like they're the same :pie_thinking: ). Sadly I have to agree that a verification system might need to be implemented for user reviews where they at least prove they either own the game and/or have played some sufficient amount of it.

The consoles themselves track play time, it can't be that hard to tie a username account (or multiple if they're from different websites) to a player's console profile for verification purposes, they'd just need their console to connect for an online verification when they want to post a review and/or submit one.

It sucks, but too bad a sea of low-IQ idiots are abusing the system as-is and therefore stricter things will have to be done to curb that behavior.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Very happy to see such positive reviews!
I'll play the shit out of it!
Shame Rhombus was vr only. Doesn't it bridge the story gap between 1&2? Probably best check youtube or something.
Yeah it takes place in between, and sets up 2. They cover it in the recap but if you did want to watch it on YouTube it's only like 2 hours long.

It's a pretty different game, and it suffers a lot from early-VR syndrome, where they're afraid to push ANY locomotion, it doesn't use any motion controls. The whole game is meant to be played sitting down and facing forward.

But it is very funny and well written, and it was the first chance to revisit those characters in many years, so I enjoyed it for what it was.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The game had two or three libcringe moments, but nothing too bad imo.
There's a line between being sensitive and inclusive and just tasteless virtue signaling that Double Fine seems to get pretty well. Like it was clearly important to them to create a big, diverse cast of characters but they don't go out of their way to signpost it or pontificate about it, or even to acknowledge it. Likewise I think they avoid certain tropes without drawing attention to it -- you never think about what the plot isn't.

Last edited:

BigBooper

So after more of you have played it or had time to ruminate, how did you like the game?

I've played about an hour and a half and so far it seems very tame and unfunny. Not up to the standards I remember the first one setting in my head. Does anyone remember it getting significantly better further in? I'm kind of thinking about bailing out at the moment.

Topher

Gold Member
So after more of you have played it or had time to ruminate, how did you like the game?

I've played about an hour and a half and so far it seems very tame and unfunny. Not up to the standards I remember the first one setting in my head. Does anyone remember it getting significantly better further in? I'm kind of thinking about bailing out at the moment.

I'm a few hours in and I'm loving it. The humor is good, but it isn't the kind that makes you chuckle out loud. I never played the first one so maybe that is the difference.

Droxcy

Not sure large swaths of Gaf will ever truly be “happy” when an Xbox studio game receives universal acclaim, but at least there does seem to be a lack of attempts to downplay the game by those who usually would.

And yeah, Flight Sim is my GOTY easily. No interest in getting a gaming PC so Flight Sim is a new title for me in 2021.

Beat it two times and tried collecting everything but got too busy game is very enjoyable and once you're free to explore it lets you breathe and enjoy it at your own pace which is amazing.

I finished the game about a month ago, and I still adore it. It had all of the charm and comedic notes of the first game with some really fun level design. The only real negatives from me are perhaps the collectibles (specifically the figments) which I gave up on once I finished the main storyline.

It's one of my favourites of the year, trumped only by It Takes Two from a charm & level design perspective. I would say give it another go for an hour or until the hub world opens up. If you're still not feeling it, give it a pass.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Game is brilliant and well worth sticking with it. Genuinely awesome game. By the end I loved the characters and story, just feels like it has that little extra that other games dont have.

goty contender for sure, but then dread came along.

elliot5

I went back and 100%ed the game. I love it

Sentenza

This is the only thing I can think of when the Russian's review bomb this game because of the lack of a translation:

wtoQFFT.jpg
Regardless of what demographic does is, getting angry because a game doesn't get an official translation for your language/geographic area is borderline retarded.

Jesus Christ, I typically hate to talk about "player entitlement" because more often than not that's an argument used by obnoxious wankers on Twatter, but how much do you fucking think people own to you just for the fact of being alive and breathing?
Especially when your demographic may not even be a significant (let alone major) market for the title.

Plantoid

So I've completed the game, it was better than I expected but I didn't feel compelled to get all collectibles etc... Also, it's history isn't childish at all, it's a drama about war.. really dark stuff

I don't think it can win goty because of Forza horizon 5... At least on Xbox side

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It was interesting and the quality of the game just got better as I went along. I got distracted by other games though and I haven't picked it up for a couple of weeks.

Love the game. 100%'ed
I just recently learned about the making of developer documentary of "Broken Age" it's fascinating.
I need one for Psychonauts 2 now.

Strange question for anyone that has played the game as I am still on the fence about whether I should pick it up in the near future or further down the line:

Are there any absurdly surreal, pop-culture inspired levels like Milkman Prophecies inside Psychonauts 2?

Last edited:

elliot5

Strange question for anyone that has played the game as I am still on the fence about whether I should pick it up in the near future or further down the line:

Are there any absurdly surreal, pop-culture inspired levels like Milkman Prophecies inside Psychonauts 2?
Pop culture? I mean kind of. I wouldn't say any level is surreal but there is a Beatles / Woodstock inspired level that's trippy but not "surreal" in the same sense of Milkman. There are inspirations and references to things in the dialogue, and every level is very narratively strong, but different compared to P1 levels

That being said I fully recommend the game and you should pick it up at some point

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

There is a whole level emulating the price is right but with food, lol. Does that count?

Thanks for your inputs, I think I have a gist of what this game has to offer and will definitely jump into it in the near future.

Top Bottom