• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 - Xbox Series X 4K 60FPS HDR Gameplay

rubhen925

Happy launch day guys. Thought of sharing some info in this thread:

- game install on Xbox Series X is 28.5 GB
- PR confirms that the game runs at 4K 60FPS. I can confirm that the fps is smooth and had no issues
- Game does support HDR, but there are no in game options to tweak it. To get the HDR to work on Xbox Series X. Go to console display setting to turn on HDR10.
- loading times are anywhere from 2-5 seconds depending on maps transitions, and cutscenes transitions.
- Game is around 12 hours if you gun for the main story, but doing all the side quest and all can extend that to 16 plus hours.
- There are a bunch of assist and accessibility options. Larger text for subtitles, color blindness compensation etc.
- There are even gameplay assist modifiers such as no fall damage, Invincibility, and Narrative combat which makes you do insane damage. Like this game wasn't already easy enough LOL.
- You can turn off motion blur in display settings.
- Each level has tons of collectibles which increase your overall rank. Increasing rank gives more upgrade points to upgrade your skills.
- you can add modifiers to your skills in the tech station. You got to buy them using resources and then slot them in your skills section.

That's about it really. If there's anything else I'll add it. Enjoy the game guys :)

Xbox Series X 4K 60FPS HDR Gameplay:

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Dj Khaled Dance GIF

Kuranghi

When you say "Go to console display setting to turn on HDR10." is that Auto HDR? The game looks like its SDR and is getting converted to HDR, the lights are all blown out, like the yellow light on the coach at the start and when Raz is walking through the office the highlights on the ground are just big solid yellow circles.

It looks really bad to me, I'd say play in SDR if its not a real HDR output.

x3AZFw5.jpg

Like here as an example, the light is blown out on the floor behind Raz, his face, the walls, the window... pretty much everywhere. I don't think thats how the art is supposed to look at all.

edit - here is how its meant to look, from the IGN video. Not sure if its your capture but I'd bet its just Auto HDR doing it.

I5qhEQt.jpg

My TL;DR HDR-nerd advice is to turn off Auto HDR and never turn it on ever again, until they improve it at least. Anyone telling you it gives benefits is ignoring all the downsides like this, which far outweigh the positives, as you can see in the comparison here.

If you want an image that pops more then increase your backlight to max and turn on dynamic contrast enhancements although depending on the TV model it may look worse when you do that. I'm happy to help anyone out who's confused though.

Last edited:

rubhen925

When you say "Go to console display setting to turn on HDR10." is that Auto HDR? The game looks like its SDR and is getting converted to HDR, the lights are all blown out, like the yellow light on the coach at the start and when Raz is walking through the office the highlights on the ground are just big solid yellow circles.

It looks really bad to me, I'd say play in SDR if its not a real HDR output.

x3AZFw5.jpg

Like here as an example, the light is blown out on the floor behind Raz, his face, the walls, the window... pretty much everywhere. I don't think thats how the art is supposed to look at all.

edit - here is how its meant to look, from the IGN video. Not sure if its your capture but I'd bet its just Auto HDR doing it.

I5qhEQt.jpg

My TL;DR HDR-nerd advice is to turn off Auto HDR and never turn it on ever again, until they improve it at least. Anyone telling you it gives benefits is ignoring all the downsides like this, which far outweigh the positives, as you can see in the comparison here.

If you want an image that pops more then increase your backlight to max and turn on dynamic contrast enhancements although depending on the TV model it may look worse when you do that. I'm happy to help anyone out who's confused though.
I do have to agree. The HDR implementation in games aren't that great at the moment. Only a few games do it right. I played without the HDR for my whole run. I just made the video to show that it does implement it. But you're right. Turn if off lol.

Trunim

Got the series S and not sure how I get the 120 fps....there's no setting in-game... And the xbox settings don't change fps in the game...

Kuranghi

I do have to agree. The HDR implementation in games aren't that great at the moment. Only a few games do it right. I played without the HDR for my whole run. I just made the video to show that it does implement it. But you're right. Turn if off lol.

Thanks for the reply, I meant no disrpect to what you post, just trying to help out others who aren't tech minded and would think "this looks wrong but I dont know why"

Tygeezy

If there is no hdr settings it could be using the consoles settings. I would test it by trying to find something extremely bright like the sky with the sun and clouds. Turn off the tone mapping on your tv and see if the highlights are clipping. If they aren’t then it’s using your consoles settings. If it is you will want to turn on tonenapping on your tv.

For my tv the hgig setting for “dynamic tone mapping” turns off tonenapping while selecting off for dynamic tonenapping turns on the tonenapping.

Kuranghi

So wait, this IS the actual HDR10 output of the game and its not Auto HDR? Thats some super botched implementation if it is meant to be an actual HDR output.

Its probably down to the devs not caring about HDR at all or having no one on staff that knows much about it and they just did their best.

rubhen925

So wait, this IS the actual HDR10 output of the game and its not Auto HDR? Thats some super botched implementation if it is meant to be an actual HDR output.

Its probably down to the devs not caring about HDR at all or having no one on staff that knows much about it and they just did their best.
Yes I had HDR10 on but auto HDR off, as auto HDR is for games that do not have it.

Kuranghi

Yes I had HDR10 on but auto HDR off, as auto HDR is for games that do not have it.

Mental, well at least this thread can be here to show people who bad it is, I can confirm that its nothing to do with your capture as here is gamersydes HDR video of the game and its exactly the same:

4ZDRp6a.jpg

Well not EXACTLY, but their fancy capture gear can show more dynamic range so the highlights aren't quite as clipped, but all the same issues are still there just slightly lesser.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

I wish you could turn hdr off in the settings of console games like you can On pc. You have to disable hdr altogether in the console settings which is quite annoying

Kuranghi

I wish you could turn hdr off in the settings of console games like you can On pc. You have to disable hdr altogether in the console settings which is quite annoying

At least this is an edge case, but yeah thats annoying, even PS5s "on when supported" wouldn't fix this. You gotta do it for this one or you are doing a disservice to the game, but I think you know that.

Tygeezy

OLED users - Dynamic Tone Mapping ON or HGig?

HGig look's brighter to me, esp with whites.
Dynamic tonemapping on will use lgs algorithm for dynamically tonemapping each scene. I’m not a fan of it because it tends to overbrighten mid tones in my experience. Off will use the static tonemapping curve that’s set to 700 nits and does a good job on higher brightness films that obviously oled is incapable of displaying.

hgig turns all tonemapping off and will clip highlights that go beyond the peak brightness of your tv. It’s very useful for games that give you the ability to set the peak brightness so you aren’t clipping highlights. I’d recommend turning hgig on for games that allow you to set the peak brightness or uses the consoles settings to adjust the hdr.

If you play in a very bright room dynamic tonemapping is something that is useful there, but I tend to play in a more light controller room so I will use dynamic tonemapping off for games that don’t allow me to adjust peak brightness and use hgig for games that do or use consoles hdr settings.

Last edited:
Happy launch day guys. Thought of sharing some info in this thread:

- game install on Xbox Series X is 28.5 GB
- PR confirms that the game runs at 4K 60FPS. I can confirm that the fps is smooth and had no issues
- Game does support HDR, but there are no in game options to tweak it. To get the HDR to work on Xbox Series X. Go to console display setting to turn on HDR10.
- loading times are anywhere from 2-5 seconds depending on maps transitions, and cutscenes transitions.
- Game is around 12 hours if you gun for the main story, but doing all the side quest and all can extend that to 16 plus hours.
- There are a bunch of assist and accessibility options. Larger text for subtitles, color blindness compensation etc.
- There are even gameplay assist modifiers such as no fall damage, Invincibility, and Narrative combat which makes you do insane damage. Like this game wasn't already easy enough LOL.
- You can turn off motion blur in display settings.
- Each level has tons of collectibles which increase your overall rank. Increasing rank gives more upgrade points to upgrade your skills.
- you can add modifiers to your skills in the tech station. You got to buy them using resources and then slot them in your skills section.

That's about it really. If there's anything else I'll add it. Enjoy the game guys :)

Xbox Series X 4K 60FPS HDR Gameplay:

Thanks for the how to turn on the HDR information.

Top Bottom