• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psygnosis co-founder Ian Hetherington has died

Bullet Club

Games industry pioneer Ian Hetherington dies​

Former Psygnosis founder and UK industry veteran dies after short illness

The founder of Imagine Software, Psygnosis and Evolution Studios, Ian Hetherington, has died after a short illness.

Hetherington was part of the team that launched PlayStation: he and the Psygnosis team directly influenced the technology that went into that first console.e. As the head of Psygnosis, he worked on major titles including Lemmings and Wipeout.

Hetherington co-founded the short-lived Imagine Software in 1982, before forming Psygnosis in 1984 alongside David Lawson and Jonathan Ellis. He stayed at the company until 1998, when he left to form Evolution Studios, another outfit based in the Liverpool area that went on to create a series of hit racing games, including WRC and MotorStorm.

He left in 2007 and has since held senior roles at Realtime Worlds, Midoki and Immotion Group. He most recently appeared in a documentary marking 30 years of Lemmings.

The news follows the death of fellow Psygnosis and Imagine Software founder David Lawson earlier this year.

Tributes to Ian are already coming in from across the industry on social media.

Digital Extremes' Richard Browne said on Twitter: "Absolutely shocked and devastated to hear of the passing of Ian Hetherington today. Thirty years ago he gave me the wonderful opportunity to be a part of the games industry legend that is Psygnosis; it is a time I still look back on as some of the best moments of my life."

"So sad to hear Ian Hetherington has passed away," wrote Lucid Games' Martin Linklater. "A proper games industry legend and a lovely bloke. I had the pleasure of working with Ian on a number of occasions... at Psygnosis and then Curly Monsters. RIP Ian. Deepest condolences to his loved ones"

Media personality Jaz Rignall said: "Ian helped bring some incredible games to life, including Shadow of the Beast, Wipeout, Destruction Derby, Colony Wars, and Lemmings. He will be sadly missed."

Trade body UKIE also wrote: "The Ukie team is sad to hear of the passing of Ian Hetherington, co-founder of Psygnosis and a key figure in the development of the UK games industry.

"Our thoughts are with his family, friends and colleagues from across the industry."

Source: Games Industry

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Top bloke. Sadly missed.

RIP

Just to understand his importance within the UK dev scene in the NW Ian was the exact gaming equivalent of Tony Wilson. He was a guy you could get a meeting with, show him your stuff and walk out with a deal.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
RIP, Psygnosis made some great hidden gems.

220px-Team_Buddies_Cover_Art.jpg

MiguelItUp

I always thought psygnosis was one of the more interesting studio names, along with logos. Did some really neat games too.

So unfortunate. RIP.

Silvawuff

RIP! Thank you for the good times.

For me, my fondest memory of a Psygnosis title was Lemmings.

Last edited:
People get older and they die. Why is that concerning? It's what happens to people.
Gee, this post almost sounds like you don't realize this is a forum about videogames.

It's concerning because we may be rapidly entering a period where many new potentail game developers do not have the hands-on guidance of the previous generation's top talent, and we don't necessarily want videogames to end up like the post-Michael Jordan Basketball era.

Wiz n' Liz and Puggsy are the earliest games I played published by Psygnosis I believe. Good memories as a child. Thanks for your contributions to the gaming industry sir. And I always liked the Psygnosis Owl logo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom