• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Publishers should stop focusing on live service video games because they seem to be failing...

egocrata

Banned
Capcom exists, doing just fine without any GaaS
Fromsoftware too, no GaaS yet they produced GOTY 2022
Asobo Studio too, no GaaS either but Plague Tale exists and it got a sequel. one of the most AAA games you can think of and it was funded with no GaaS

If your company needs GaaS to survive then it's clearly far too big for its own good. Your entire structure can't rely on one game and all the money it brings you. you gotta downsize
Asobo has one of the biggest GaaS out there, Flight Simulator 2020.

They have the most insane market place of ad ons in the business that makes a fuck ton of money. It is also awesome.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I think Sony would be happy with half of them flopping.

I think they’ll be lucky to get 2-3 hits they can sustain for many years

I hear a lot of people say this and I don't think it's necessarily the right way to look at it.

They just have to look at the level of their GAAS investment and compare it with their GAAS revenue/profit.

It doesn't really matter how many hits occur as long as they're growing their overall player base and profits. The size of the "hit" is vital to the equation.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just makes me wonder how Sony's wild chase is gonna turn out. You can easily see at least half of them flopping.
I dont know how accurate the statement was or if the exec (I forget if it was Jim Ryan or another one), but one of them said all they need is one of their GAAS games being a big hit and that will cover the rest of them.

I remember them saying had 10. I dont remember if that meant all 10 are brand new IPs, or if some will be existing stuff like GT7 and The Show, so really they might only have 8 new ones. But it looks like Sony is going back to the PS3 days of shotgunning a ton of stuff and see what sticks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom