• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pure speculation time: I think Bethesda might be working on a Star Wars game (mando?)

Starfield

I believe (and this is purely speculation alltough I do have SOME evidence to back up my speculation that this might turn out to be true) that Bethesda is working on a Star Wars game (possibly the newly mentioned Mandalorian game?). Known xbox insider Klobrille mentioned that next week there will be big Xbox news coming. Next week is May 4th aka Star Wars celebration day. (look at his twitter). We have insiders saying Microsoft 1st party is working on a Mandalorian game.

As in who exactly at Bethesda is doing it...well thats the harder part to figure out. It could be Zenimax Online Studios, Bethesda Game Studios or none of these but with a possible involment of Todd Howard as another executive Producer. I will give you all some stuff about all of these theories to think about:

Zenimax Online Studios:
Could they be working on a Star Wars MMo game?

Bethesda Game Studios:

• ok, this one comes as a slight surprise maybe as I'm sure everyone and their dogs at BGS are currently finishing Starfield in order to release it this year with Austin team continuing their life service for Fallout 76, some of the montreal folks probably developing a new mobile game aswell as updating Blades. However Bethesda Game Studios Dallas might also be working on a new game. Maybe its a Star Wars game. As Todd Howard recently stated they're working on multiple projects (and that doesn't necessarily have to mean Fallout76, new mobile game, Starfield and TES Vl only) We have to remember that theyre 420+ employees now.

Todd Howard:
Should a Microsoft 1st party studio be working on a Star Wars game, Todd's the one who's likely going to want to be involved with it. He's a busy man, yes....but his involvement with Indiana Jones as exec producer shows that he is willing to do other projects next to Starfield, Fallout TV show and The Elder Scrolls Vl.
ErjnD8gXcAgF_xM.jpg

We KNOW Todd's a big big biiiig fan of both of these franchises (Indiana Jones and Star Wars). I'd bet all of my money that if he would get the opportunity to be involved with both of these franchises he'd do it 100%. As shown with Indiana Jones, like I said earlier, he is willing to go beyond his own studio.
We still have to consider though that this could also mean no involvement by ZOS or BGS at all and its just Todd who is involved with it. BGS are probably very busy with their games. We still don't know how big of an involvement Bethesda Game Studios Dallas have with Starfield. I personally didn't see alot from them. I know pretty much everyone at BGS Maryland is involved with Starfield, alot from Montreal too and some from Austin. I know theres some involved with Starfield from Dallas but from their studio I've seen or heard the least about. Maybe they're also working on it and Todd's guiding the vision behind this game.

Please be wary that this is just speculation on my part (thats why it probably won't turn out to be true lol) so keep that in mind. Wonder what others have to say about it though.

Last edited:
Give me a campaign Mando game with the shooting of Halo/Apex (grapple from Pathfinder), brilliance of Fallen Order (including bosses) and quests from Witcher 3/Cyberpunk.

Then make it multiplayer like Battlefront levels of quality.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Sounds a lot like wishful thinking but anything can happen. I’m sure if you put in the effort you could create the exact same rumor, but for other companies.

Last edited:

renzolama

There's absolutely zero chance that anyone involved with star wars would give the license to the people who made Fallout 76, one google search would scare them off immediately. Star Wars has to make money above all else.

bender

What time is it?
Maybe Bethesda wants to challenge their animators to see if the can top the GameCube era Bounty Hunters.

hahahha... NO.

Even more so after the deal between Disney and Sony. I can see a Star Wars game made by Sony but totally multiplat. (except Switch)

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
They don't.

They only own the movie rights. Disney chose to go to Sony with Spider Man.

I'm pretty sure this was part of the MCU deal. Disney wanted Spider-Man in the MCU and part of the deal was for Spider-Man exclusive games on PlayStation. I could be wrong, but I thought that was the deal.

reksveks

I'm pretty sure this was part of the MCU deal. Disney wanted Spider-Man in the MCU and part of the deal was for Spider-Man exclusive games on PlayStation. I could be wrong, but I thought that was the deal.
No one knows except for the people in the room as the official and right answer

Thirty7ven

Banned

Officially, it can’t work like that. But that’s how many deals get made, you sign this here we sign that there etc But each contract will be its own.

Starfield

Even if they are, Disney will bust Todd's ass and release it on PS5
TBH I doubt a Starwars game will ever be exclusive. If they work on a Star Wars game its more about being honored to work on a Starwars game.

and you making it sound like Todd only wants to release games for Xbox and PC which is kinda untrue lmao

Last edited:

Krizalidx11

Banned
TBH I doubt a Starwars game will ever be exclusive. If they work on a Star Wars game its more about being honored to work on a Starwars game

Wanna bet Sony will buy an exclusive demo for PS5 ?? :D

I agree with you and if they did the MS deal with Bethesda will look pointless

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
No one knows except for the people in the room as the official and right answer

True, but it seems like the most logical explanation as to why Spider-Man is only on PlayStation. I'm pretty sure Disney would rather it be multiplatform.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I believe (and this is purely speculation alltough I do have SOME evidence to back up my speculation that this might turn out to be true) that Bethesda is working on a Star Wars game (possibly the newly mentioned Mandalorian game?). Known xbox insider Klobrille mentioned that next week there will be big Xbox news coming. Next week is May 4th aka Star Wars celebration day. (look at his twitter). We have insiders saying Microsoft 1st party is working on a Mandalorian game.

As in who exactly at Bethesda is doing it...well thats the harder part to figure out. It could be Zenimax Online Studios, Bethesda Game Studios or none of these but with a possible involment of Todd Howard as another executive Producer. I will give you all some stuff about all of these theories to think about:

Zenimax Online Studios:

Bethesda Game Studios:

• ok, this one comes as a slight surprise maybe as I'm sure everyone and their dogs at BGS are currently finishing Starfield in order to release it this year with Austin team continuing their life service for Fallout 76, some of the montreal folks probably developing a new mobile game aswell as updating Blades. However Bethesda Game Studios Dallas might also be working on a new game. Maybe its a Star Wars game. As Todd Howard recently stated they're working on multiple projects (and that doesn't necessarily have to mean Fallout76, new mobile game, Starfield and TES Vl only) We have to remember that theyre 420+ employees now.

Todd Howard:
Should a Microsoft 1st party studio be working on a Star Wars game, Todd's the one who's likely going to want to be involved with it. He's a busy man, yes....but his involvement with Indiana Jones as exec producer shows that he is willing to do other projects next to Starfield, Fallout TV show and The Elder Scrolls Vl.
ErjnD8gXcAgF_xM.jpg

We KNOW Todd's a big big biiiig fan of both of these franchises (Indiana Jones and Star Wars). I'd bet all of my money that if he would get the opportunity to be involved with both of these franchises he'd do it 100%. As shown with Indiana Jones, like I said earlier, he is willing to go beyond his own studio.
We still have to consider though that this could also mean no involvement by ZOS or BGS at all and its just Todd who is involved with it. BGS are probably very busy with their games. We still don't know how big of an involvement Bethesda Game Studios Dallas have with Starfield. I personally didn't see alot from them. I know pretty much everyone at BGS Maryland is involved with Starfield, alot from Montreal too and some from Austin. I know theres some involved with Starfield from Dallas but from their studio I've seen or heard the least about. Maybe they're also working on it and Todd's guiding the vision behind this game.

Please be wary that this is just speculation on my part (thats why it probably won't turn out to be true lol) so keep that in mind. Wonder what others have to say about it though.
Stop being coy Todd. Just tell us when Starfield is coming out.

Last edited:

reksveks

True, but it seems like the most logical explanation as to why Spider-Man is only on PlayStation. I'm pretty sure Disney would rather it be multiplatform.
I think it was a deal for first refusal on video game appearance in exchange for Spider-Man to be in the MCU but it's purely a guess.

FunkMiller

I'd be very surprised to see Disney allowing such a huge IP to not be on Playstation, given the Playstation's reach in the video games market. Huge amount of money left on the table if so. Microsoft would have to fork out a colossal amount of money up front to secure exclusivity for XBox & PC. Not saying it's out of the realms of possibility, but also don't think it's very likely, given Disney's rapacious desire to sell their crap to as many people as possible.

And this isn't like the Spider-man exclusivity deal. That's all wrapped up in the on-going saga between Sony and Disney over the rights to the character in general terms. Microsoft don't have that kind of hold over Disney.

kyliethicc

Zenimax Online Studios:

Bethesda Game Studios:

Todd Howard:
ErjnD8gXcAgF_xM.jpg

If anyone's making a Mandalorian game its probably that newly announced game from Ubisoft. The Division developer. They could easily reskin The Division as a bounty hunter SW game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Starwars franchise popularity eclipse any Bethesda title

I just hope that SW game by The Division devs is true
Not true.
Star Wars is at it's lowest in popularity right now. It lost over half it's audience from The Force Awakens to The Rise of Skywalker. The Mandalorian is pretty much the only thing it has done that has had a net positive. Maybe Jedi Fallen Order. The High Republic has been an SJW disaster.

Skyrim has sold between 20 and 30 million copies as of 2016. There isn't a Star Wars game in existence that has come remotely close to those numbers.
Fallout 4 also sold huge numbers. We were never given exact numbers, but were told it sold more than Skyrim in a two year time frame.

C'mon dude.

Last edited:
Top Bottom