• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pushing the envelope: Achieving next-level clouds in Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
That's not the model they went with in the final game. She looks very pretty/hot in the final game build.

W3n74DD.jpg
PISkfSX.jpg
A26UEHF.jpg
n8a3Wu9.jpg
Laugh Lol GIF

Game is a looker and it's about to get better. I'm going through the story right now so I'm ready for when the DLC drops. I just hope they fix all the bloated systems of the series like the weapon wheel, crafting arrows all the damn time, ammunition types, useless skills, and give us free climbing and not the watered-down version we got with this second game.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Game is a looker and it's about to get better. I'm going through the story right now so I'm ready for when the DLC drops. I just hope they fix all the bloated systems of the series like the weapon wheel, crafting arrows all the damn time, ammunition types, useless skills, and give us free climbing and not the watered-down version we got with this second game.

They won't. That is typical Sony First party design these days. Lots of bloated, shallow systems.

Don't know which gif you are watching, but yes, they cast shadows onto other clouds and themselves.

I really don't understand where you get 'flat' from, they look like volumetric clouds to me.

Just because these look great doesn't mean FS clouds look any worse so why so defensive?

Because a Sony game got praised for something?

Salz01

Humdinger

That won't change for the DLC. Maybe in the third game, but not the DLC.

StueyDuck

All this great tech kind of makes you wish guerilla Cambridge was still around... I know there's meant to be a second team and project at the studio but imagine a little killzone mercenaries type game with all this

By the way, I am 100% in for whatever Kojima is cooking up in DS2 with the next gen decima tech. Getting a chub just thinking about it

Hmmm will I be able to play this without having to go through the main game? I tried it a few months back and it just wasn't clicking for me lol. I do want to try the flying out though.

Can this be played standalone? Never finished forbidden west
Hmmm will I be able to play this without having to go through the main game? I tried it a few months back and it just wasn't clicking for me lol. I do want to try the flying out though.
No you need to finish the main quest of Forbidden West and have a save of it because this DLC is set after the events of FW and it seem it will also continue the story.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

You'll need to have completed the main game.

Buggy Loop

SEO9CIM.jpg

Zero Dawn wins by a landslide.

That fucking face always gets me :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The actress they modeled from is like leagues above either of these two, but especially Forbidden west.

Anyway, since i'm not on console, i was about to point out Microsoft Flight sim, but i read that it was downgraded on consoles? Shame.

mitchman

Gold Member
I see the responses. Thanks. I tried balance, but thought it lowered the detail too much from quality mode. I felt it was more 60 than 40. The quality mode at 30 fps, and their motion blur seems so sluggish and choppy on my oled compared to other games like GTA or Mafia. Will try balance mode again later.
Balance mode at 40Hz cuts the frametimes in half compared to 30Hz, so it will feel much more fluid. It does not cut down on detail in any significant way, afair.

Last edited:

Lysandros

He is not saying it as a praise at all, he just wants to allude/emphasize that this was done before and that's nothing new. He even leaves the possibility that this could run in PS4 hardware albeit with struggle/worse performance open. He is one of the last persons on earth who would concede a genuine praise for any playstation first party title in the context of hardware capabilities/pure technical achievement.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
This game is another reason I want ps5 pro to be real. I want the quality mode at 60 plus fps

Then there will just be a new benchmark for "quality mode" that will have more bells and wistles than the performance mode. It will always be a moving target as new hardware gets released.

Then there will just be a new benchmark for "quality mode" that will have more bells and wistles than the performance mode. It will always be a moving target as new hardware gets released.
Sure, i realize that. It’s always a moving target. But I still want the current quality mode at higher frames lol. Not sure if guerrila would do another 30fps mode with a pro console though, I could see it going either way

Last edited:

vivftp

So they went with a less hype vision for sake of ease...why make it if you aren't going to be ambitious IMO.

They went with their vision, not a "less hype vision". They wanted robotic creatures, and that's what they aimed for. Lamenting that you didn't get organic creatures to fight doesn't make any sense since that was never the plan

Also, lol at the idea that the robots in Horizon aren't ambitious

Last edited:
Top Bottom