• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pushsquare: Japanese Gamers Aren't Impressed with PS5's Price Hike

mckmas8808

Banned
This is fucked up if true and makes no sense. I'm sure there are numerous Japanese people within Playstation/Sony (e.g. Shuhei Yoshida) that could help manage relations with Japanese studios. Why the hell would a Japanese developer talk to some white guy in California via google translate?

I hope that isn't true. Because if it is.......it'll explain alot. :-/

We'll have to see what Asobi comes out with in the future. It's always possibly that they have a breakout hit (as difficult as that is).
That’s true. I think they will surprise us. I just wish Sony took Japanese development a little more serious. I mean they have Team Asobi and Polyphony, but seemingly a plethora of Western and other developers.

TheGecko

Banned
I think the Japanese market is pretty irrelevant to be honest. Small time numbers that aren't worth worrying about.

Woopah

I think the Japanese market is pretty irrelevant to be honest. Small time numbers that aren't worth worrying about.
It is the 2nd biggest country globally for both Switch and PS4. Definitely not irrelevant.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Money talks. They feel spending resources on anything Japanese based is a waste of time as the real money is in western style games and studios.

You’d think the division is so profitable why not keep stuff around for sake of good PR?

But they think their western studios and US/Euro giant markets are if enough to cover Japan.

If they want to do classic game refreshes, they got Bluepoint.
Considering the average salary of software engineers and artists in Japan compared to the US or most of the West this is beyond myopic, but fill your boots…

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Some people are such hardcore fans that they are getting upset that anyone takes issue with Sony raising the prices...that's absolutely crazy to me. Like you can't have a problem with their favourite company for a legit reason.

rolandss

Sony getting in on the gouge. I mean it’s obvious that with chip shortages costs would have to go up but this’ll hurt em.

Considering a watermelon costs nearly 70$ there, this price hike is a drop in the bucket.
It all depends on how much they earn.

Is it a cube watermelon?

1280px-Square_watermelon.jpg

Sony getting in on the gouge. I mean it’s obvious that with chip shortages costs would have to go up but this’ll hurt em.
Depending who you ask, chip shortages are either getting better or are over.

This is a hard to justify price hike, specially when they choose to keep the price in US, it's not like these systems are being manufactured in US and they're huge (so transportation is a factor), they're actually eating the difference in one market, just not elsewhere.

Last edited:

magnumpy

pc may overtake playstation in the coming years, but if that is due to playstation ports appearing on pc it really depends on the specific meaning of "words" and what the definition of "is" is...

"what has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun."

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
He was always right Jim Ryan is the worst leader Playstation has EVER had.
Agreed. He is a bean counter. And a sack of shit.
Neither him or Phil Spencer have been as good as they should be.

Although PS and Xbox have different problems.

Last edited:
Some people are such hardcore fans that they are getting upset that anyone takes issue with Sony raising the prices...that's absolutely crazy to me. Like you can't have a problem with their favourite company for a legit reason.
People are excited to see the tide potentially turn this gen. and those invested in PlayStation are digging their heals in.

As a bystander who frankly, dislikes both companies, I don’t see how it’s not clear PlayStation will fall to Xbox long term if they don’t change the approach.

Majukun

we
People are excited to see the tide potentially turn this gen. and those invested in PlayStation are digging their heals in.

As a bystander who frankly, dislikes both companies, I don’t see how it’s not clear PlayStation will fall to Xbox long term if they don’t change the approach.
playstation brand is pretty strong
more than xbox, it might be pc to snug some marketshares

Majukun

Brand loyalty will only take you so far these days. People (see: children) will play whatever is popular and the most hype.
i mean brand loyalty made sony sdurvive the disastrous start of the 360/ps3 gen...any other company, nintendo included, would have not recovered from that, while sony managed to catch up to the 360 by end of gen ifrc

Top Bottom