• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q1 2023 was a pretty awesome quarter for video games.

Rate Q1 2023

• A

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • B

Votes: 23 35.9%
  • C

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • E For SEGA_2012

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
After a disappointing 2022, I have to say 2023 started off with a bang. Yes, it's mostly remakes, but they're actually good remakes. Dead Space and RE4 are remakes done right. And while TLOU PC was a disappointing port, Metroid Prime looks rather good.

Hogwarts was surprisingly good, and Hi-Fi Rush and Metroid Prime were pretty good surprise shadow drops from MS and Nintendo. Forspoken and Wu Long were a bit disappointing but I am actually glad that we have games we can skip because there are other games to choose from. Last couple of years, I was playing everything just out of boredom.

We even got a new hardware launch and a Horizon VR game from Sony. Xbox had Hifi Rush, Atomic Heart and Wu Long day one on Gamepass. Not bad at all. Has been a pretty eventful quarter, and with Star Wars, Zelda, Diablo, Redfall, FF16 and SF6 coming up in this upcoming quarter, I have to say 2023 is off to an amazing start.

I am not even going to list D as an option because it's been that good. What did gaf think of Q1 2023?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
IsX7DgPyVdZJf1ZGGNhB1RrI.png
3ry5d946u8ma1.jpg
FeK7GBvVUAA_OSE.jpg
grimgrimoire-button-2-1649876972436.jpg
v4ui8NB.png
kv2.jpg
xeno3future-1681868794699.jpg
zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-button-2k-1663127818777.jpg
qxj3awy7gj7a1.jpg

I'm eating well this year.
rubbing-tummy-yummy-in-my-tummy.gif

Robb

Gold Member
It has been pretty great and it’s only going to get better. This is looking like an absolutely amazing year for games.

Last edited:

Hugare

It was terrible. 4 mediocre games (remake4, atomic heart, hogwarts and hifi rush) . Voted C but wanted to vote E. Terrible Q1.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Can you mention what games are you hyping for this year? Now I'm curious

To me it was a pretty dope Q1. Loved Atomic Hearts, Hogwarts, RE 4, Metroid Prime, and wanna buy Dead Island 2 and Dead Space, but my backlog is huge right now.

And there's FF XVI coming up

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Can you mention what games are you hyping for this year? Now I'm curious

To me it was a pretty dope Q1. Loved Atomic Hearts, Hogwarts, RE 4, Metroid Prime, and wanna buy Dead Island 2 and Dead Space, but my backlog is huge right now.

And there's FF XVI coming up
Someone is always unhappy, such is life.
601d0c937d49ed00fa191c4b30406da6_w200.gif

GenericUser

S+ in my book. Resident Evil 4 remake and Dead Island 2 are excellent games that I thoroughly enjoyed and continue to enjoy. Another S+ quarter is inbound, with Diablo 4 and FF16. After that, I'll get another S+ quarter with Starfield. I'm very happy, smile.

bender

What time is it?
Hi-Fi Rush is excellent. RE4 is pretty good but considering the foundation, that is to be expected. The "surprise" drop of Metroid was nice. Kind of a lackluster year, all-and-all.

skit_data

Haven’t played RE4 or Hogwarts Legacy but Dead Space easily brings it up to a B on its own. Truly great game, I can see it be my personal GOTY despite it being a remake.

xrnzaaas

It was good, I enjoyed Yakuza Ishin the most since it was a brand new release for me. I can't get so excited when I'm playing a remake of a game that's not super old, even if that remake turns out solid.

Woopah

Gave it a very solid B, but after Q2 the year will become an A thanks to Jedi Survivor, Redfall, TOTK and FFXVI.

Then if we get Armoured Core, Spiderman and Starfield in Q3? It's going to be a great year.

DKPOWPOW

So far I have only played some of Hi-Fi Rush, RE4, Metroid Prime R, and Atomic HEART.

Looking forward to getting Dead Space R, Yakuza Ishin, and Fire Emblem Engage down the line.

Also somewhat interested in the Kirby remake and Octopath Traveler 2. Theres also that Team Ninja action game I would like to check out. That’s almost 10 solid games / $500+ worth of fun right there in less than 3 months. Typically the slowest months of the year.

A

Lot of people here on cracker jacks, after the slow burns of 2020 and 2021. This is a year that has started off extremely strong, and looks amazing going forward. We still don’t even know everything that may come out.

I think this is a rare year where each system has a very commendable line-up of games. Reminding me of 2007, we’re not quite there yet… but who knows we may reach those heights.

fermcr

It was a ok first quarter. Some decent games but nothing I would consider actually great.
Hogwarts, Dead Space Remake and Resident evil 4 Remake were good enough games. Haven't played Hi Fi Rush or Octopath Traveler 2.

BTW, Q1 2023 are the first 3 months of 2023. The OP should have said the first half of 2023... Games like Zelda, Diablo, Redfall, FF16 are releasing in Q2 2023.

Last edited:
Like A Dragon Ishin and Fatal Frame 4 - two games I've literally waited decades for, finally localized. I am grateful. Dead Island 2 also out of development hell and it's pretty good.

Last edited:

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Never played Dead Space before, the remake is quality. £14.99 on EA game pass. NFS is pretty good as well. Both current gen only.

Chukhopops

I voted A, I can’t even keep up with the good games released between my two main platforms (Xbox and Switch).

The fact that I decided to skip a Yakuza game entirely is a sign the backlog is overloaded.

So far the top 3 would be Wo Long, Atelier Ryza 3 and Fire Emblem Engage.

Markio128

I voted B (almost an A), and that‘s only because of PSVR2 and primarily GT7, otherwise I’d have been in the C/D or Sega camp.

I bounced off Hogwarts after around 15 hours and haven’t been back. RE4 remake I haven’t played for a good few days - it’s a great version of a game I’ve played too many times tbh - I’ll wait for the VR update on this one. Forspoken, Atomic Heart and Wo-Long didn’t stand out enough for me to bother with. Dead Space remake I may pick up on sale, but after my lack of wanting to continue with RE4, I may not bother.

So yeah, without the fun I’ve had with PSVR2, I’d have been pretty miffed with Q1.

kyussman

I still haven't jumped into the gen yet.....a bunch of remakes ain't going to make it happen,that's for sure.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
it's an overall A tier for me, Pizza Tower and RE4 Remake made the whole damn year for me. Octopath 2, Hi-Fi Rush and Like a Dragon Ishin have got me excited too

June's going to be even better with Spiderman 2 and FFXVI on the way, and rumor is that the new Deltarune chapter will be coming sometime later this year, which is hype after the first 2 chapters were so good

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Killer year so far. Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime remaster, HiFi Rush and Final Fantasy 6 are all great releases for me. And I have yet to play Dead Space and Hogwarts Legacy. Next up after Final Fantasy 6 is Zelda TotK, Blasphemous 2, HFW: Burning Shores and FF 16. With Starfield and Spiderman 2 in the fall. 2023 is shaping up to be THE video game year of the decade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom