• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q1 Revenue: Microsoft overtakes Nintendo, Sony breaks records

zedinen

Q1 2021 Gaming Revenue (Jan – Mar)

UkxfJQM.jpg

Source:

Sony

O8pgOLp.jpg

Microsoft

DIoeyPp.jpeg

Nintendo

WDmvpP9.jpg

CJFUUM7.jpg

6CkGqfr.jpg

yurinka

Great numbers. It would be nice to have a similar comparision table for the fiscal year.

I have a question: is that really their gaming revenue? Didnd't MS include other non-stuff there? And how aboud Nintendo?

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
MS beating Nintendo in gaming revenue is a big surprise, how did this happen? Is the data even correct? Nintendo has many 15-20MLN+ sellers, some even up to 30-40MLN copies sold, all of that at full price, whereas MS can only dream about such numbers, especially since they're pushing GP so hard, there hasn't been any huge 3rd party games recently either, something's not right, as Obi-Wan would say - perhaps the archives are incomplete...

Yup, to be exact it's 3.2x more, so out of 7.8M it should be roughly 2.4M consoles for X and S which is a massive margin.

Wow more than triple the amount of PS5s compared to Series X/S? That can't be right. Right?

Doesn't all that data contains both current and last-gen numbers? Bare in mind there are still a lot of PS4/XB1 consoles in stores that still sell well, especially due to Covid lockdowns, those are actually the platforms the vast majority of the software revenue comes from.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Can I be honest why is this a big deal? Of course, Microsoft overpasses them, do people not realize that Microsoft doesn't deal with Xbox only? They deal with all types of industries, so it's obvious that they will overpass them in revenue. Like why should we give a fuck, I never understood the obsession with these posts. It just spits out fanboyism and becomes toxic. Like comparing which dick is big or not and from the looks of it the fanboys are out in full force comparing their smalls dicks.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Doesn't all that data contains both current and last-gen numbers? Bare in mind there are still a lot of PS4/XB1 consoles in stores that still sell well, especially due to Covid lockdowns, those are actually the platforms the vast majority of the software revenue comes from.

Yeah, but but still puts Series X|S around 2.4M mark, which is pretty low but explained before by Sony having 2x the wafers with PS5 + yields.

Derktron

Banned
It's a secret covert operation from the popcorn manufacturers.

...and it has been really successful.
Here come the useless trolls, this is why I tend to avoid these threads. It's just another ploy to fanboyism and to compare how big their small dicks are. The way you guys act is like damn children and I bet you guys are in your late 30s or early 40s.

Bryank75

Banned
I think I said in a few threads last year this gen would be 3:1 or more in my humble opinion....

Don't let this misconstrued, just because PS does well doesn't mean Xbox can't..... I think they could really improve their sales this gen and Gamepass is doing great numbers.

Also Destin Legaire has a video saying that Zhuge was saying Xbox and PS sales for Q1 were equal..... which is just a load of bullshit given the facts above.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Grest results for Sony. As long as it means more PS5 exclusives I'm happy.

I'm really intrigued by this approach where they're working with the likes of Housemarque on Returnal, and Firewall on their multiplayer game. Economically very sound and should lead to a fair degree of developmental freedom.

Rolla

Banned
Does OP know that "Microsoft Gaming revenue" is very different to "XBOX gaming revenue." Look at the quarterlies. Or any of the recent Apple court docs. In reality XBOX as a publisher is competing with Activision in terms of revenue and profit and activision releases one big game a year.

Riky

$MSFT
Yeah and the BOM of Xbox Series X is actually higher than PS5, can't see it being less that the retail price at S as well with as low as $300. We could as well be looking at 2.2M vs 7.8M.

Maths.

The totals are in revenue so the BOM is irrelevant. Series S is cheaper so you sell more to make up the same amount of revenue, it really isn't that hard to understand.

TBiddy

Maths.

The totals are in revenue so the BOM is irrelevant. Series S is cheaper so you sell more to make up the same amount of revenue, it really isn't that hard to understand.

Add to that, that the console with a higher install base and poorer controller quality also presumably sells a lot more controllers, and things start adding up, especially when you count the PS VR and the numerous PS4s still being sold at outrageous prices.

Taking the revenue numbers for "Hardware and Accessories", dividing them and using that to base sales numbers for consoles is just... mindblowing. It's got to be trolling at this point.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Wow more than triple the amount of PS5s compared to Series X/S? That can't be right. Right?

It wouldn't work out like that because MS has shipped quite a few XSS units that only retail at $300. Probably a good difference in accessories as well, PS5 has the new controller while I can see a lot of Xbox users just hanging on to their extra X1 pads, etc. PS is still selling a good amount of PS4s as well, while X1 has been missing in action for a while now.

Certainly, Sony is doing a good job getting consoles out and sold. Nintendo is really shining in hardware too, considering the lite units are only $200.

Last edited:

elliot5

It wouldn't work out quite like that because MS has shipped quite a few XSS units that only retail at $300. Probably a good difference in accessories as well, PS5 has the new controller while I can see a lot of Xbox users just hanging on to their extra X1 pads, etc. PS4 is still selling a good amount of PS4s as well, while X1 has been missing in action for a while now.

Certainly, Sony is doing a good job getting consoles out and sold. Nintendo is really shining in hardware too, considering the lite units are only $200.
Right, Xbox Ones other than the S have been discontinued for a while now, and the hardware comes at different tiers, like you said. Nintendo is selling gangbusters, hence the extreme revenue.

Microsoft is going hardware agnostic, so the hardware isn't a key element anymore. Or at least, it isn't as much as it historically has been. That's why their services revenue is super high in comparison. They eat no cost in hardware sales when you subscribe to Game Pass Ultimate to play on your Samsung Smart Fridge or phone, or laptop, or whatever. It's all subscriptions based with the console hardware being there for the ones that want that traditional, premium experience.

DaGwaphics

The bigger story is the software and services. Considering that I've heard that MS can't sell software on Xbox anymore, they are really punching above their weight given the difference in install base. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

@ E elliot5 , didn't see your post there, makes mine a bit redundant. :messenger_tongue:

Last edited:

Three

The bigger story is the software and services. Considering that I've heard that MS can't sell software on Xbox anymore, they are really punching above their weight given the difference in install base. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

@ E elliot5 , didn't see your post there, makes mine a bit redundant. :messenger_tongue:
Software and services.
Why would gamepass revenue mean software is selling great on xbox by which I assume you are trying to counter the data recently about low software sale splits on Xbox or the idea that gamepass decreases software sales. It wouldn’t show there becuase it has services included in that revenue (it's not profit and it's not units).

So MS is making more game money than Sony? Because the numbers in the OP say otherwise.. no?
No they are making less.
Sony: $4,512 Million
MS: $2,896 Million

People are talking relative to install base. Sony don't make exactly 2x as much as MS in contents and services. This includes services and is revenue though so it includes their gamepass drive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom