• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q1 Revenue: Microsoft overtakes Nintendo, Sony breaks records

DaGwaphics

People are talking relative to install base. Sony don't make exactly 2x as much as MS in contents and services. This includes services and is revenue though so it includes their gamepass drive.

But nobody pays for GP. That's nothing more than $1 over gold, I've heard that consistently right here on GAF. How could that bolster their numbers at all. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

In truth though a big portion of the software and services will be generated from third parties and not directly tied to GP or Gold subscriptions. They don't always break those numbers down, but in the $5b quarter they did say they had over $2b (40% of total revenue) from third-parties.

Last edited:

Three

But nobody pays for GP. That's nothing more than $1 over gold, I've heard that consistently right here on GAF. How could that bolster their numbers at all. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

In truth though a big portion of the software and services will be generated from third parties and not directly tied to GP or Gold subscriptions. They don't always break those numbers down, but in the $5b quarter they did say they had over $2b (40% of total revenue) from third-parties.
You mean third party software sales? You can't get that data from here because "content and services" includes MTX/digital addons (still third party) , xbox live gold, gamepass, and software sales all in one. A large portion would be tied to the subscriptions, Xbox Live Gold and Gamepass. Another large portion to MTX. What those portions are though we won't know unless, as you say, they provide the data. 40% from third parties just tells me that the majority (60%) is actually their services and possibly microtransactions from their own games since MS have not released any software to do big numbers in that quarter. They haven't released much at all to be honest.

DaGwaphics

@ T Three Just third-party overall. Sales and MTX/DLC from third-parties. It was the most generated from third-parties in the history of Xbox. Not bad for a "dead" platform where the users don't spend any money. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

There would definitely be some indirect revenue there from GwG and GP, but the actual revenue from GwG and GP subscriptions isn't included there (in the $2b figure).

Last edited:

NickFire

Can I be honest why is this a big deal? Of course, Microsoft overpasses them, do people not realize that Microsoft doesn't deal with Xbox only? They deal with all types of industries, so it's obvious that they will overpass them in revenue. Like why should we give a fuck, I never understood the obsession with these posts. It just spits out fanboyism and becomes toxic. Like comparing which dick is big or not and from the looks of it the fanboys are out in full force comparing their smalls dicks.
Regardless of the past, the Sony and MS numbers matter quite a bit now, at least in my humble opinion. And the reason is that MS is making a huge push to expand its customer base and has opened its money vault doors wide open. They literally just spent 7 Billion plus to buy a pub / studios, which tons of people claim will take expected 3rd party releases out of the PS eco-system entirely. It is now entirely reasonable to assume they intend to keep spending money to take games out of the PS eco-system. So yeah, these numbers now matter. The further ahead Sony is, the less likely PS5 owners will see anticipated releases suddenly get new Xbox exclusive marketing materials, as the cost goes up, and publisher willingness goes down.

Last edited:

Microsoft overtakes Nintendo, Sony​

Breaks Records!

tv show idk GIF by Live Kelly and Ryan

Yoboman

It's MATH vs $MATH - the first one is a constant, but the latter is a variable so it can be pretty much anything. You know, maths.
Doesn’t matter, you can still establish a high end baseline. Even if MS sold 100% of there consoles at the $300 BOM then they will max out at 2.1 million. We know there is a higher BOM SKU in there as well plus accessories so their actual units sold will be much lower

Tutomos

Revenue means more people are spending on your ecosystem. Profit just means you are charging your customer cheap stuff for a high price.

Derktron

Banned
Regardless of the past, the Sony and MS numbers matter quite a bit now, at least in my humble opinion. And the reason is that MS is making a huge push to expand its customer base and has opened its money vault doors wide open. They literally just spent 7 Billion plus to buy a pub / studios, which tons of people claim will take expected 3rd party releases out of the PS eco-system entirely. It is now entirely reasonable to assume they intend to keep spending money to take games out of the PS eco-system. So yeah, these numbers now matter. The further ahead Sony is, the less likely PS5 owners will see anticipated releases suddenly get new Xbox exclusive marketing materials, as the cost goes up, and publisher willingness goes down.
That's because Microsoft fucked up in 2013 and PlayStation ran with that along with the gaming media hating on Microsoft even though they deserved it for a few years. Plain and simple, Xbox fucked up and PlayStation took that and took advantage. I don't need that crap that you just said. -- Funny enough Xbox has been fixing themselves and the media still dogs them down like having doggy-style sex. Plain and simple. People still have that 2013 mindset and honestly, I don't blame them, Microsoft is at fault for that. They executed their plans too early. It was too early for what they wanted to do in 2013. Now Microsoft is playing catching up and in the best ways possible but in all honestly the reason why those stupid fanboys are still wetting themselves with hatred over Microsoft is because of the media and their pathetic bias over Xbox. Anything else you want me to add or would like me to write out a long paragraph on your stupid response that I did not even ask for?

reinking

Gold Member
Can I be honest why is this a big deal? Of course, Microsoft overpasses them, do people not realize that Microsoft doesn't deal with Xbox only? They deal with all types of industries, so it's obvious that they will overpass them in revenue. Like why should we give a fuck, I never understood the obsession with these posts. It just spits out fanboyism and becomes toxic. Like comparing which dick is big or not and from the looks of it the fanboys are out in full force comparing their smalls dicks.
It is literally right there in the thread title. Just curious why you would enter the thread if you are so opposed to the topic? Hoping to see some dick?

Pretty much. I expect the next 2-3 batches to sell out, every body wants PS5.
It'll be a long while yet until stocks stabilize especially with these highly anticipated AAA titles Sony has brewing.

Also welcome to the forum :messenger_beaming: :messenger_bicep:

Damn if this is accurate, then Xbox + Nintendo COMBINED generated 6.88 billion in revenue.

Meanwhile PlayStation generated 6.56 billion.

So PlayStation's quarterly revenue is almost as much as BOTH their competitors put together.

6nmJtEx.jpg
um, yeah that's fucking crazy. Healthy gaming industry we have. Long live Xbox, PS and Nintendo.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Interestingly, at this pace, Sony will break another record this year and record their highest-ever revenue in a fiscal year -- $26.24 billion. And this is me being very conservative.

Because Sony didn't release any big game in Q1. Their big games are coming: Ratchet & Clank, Horizon Forbidden West, etc. There will also be big releases in Q3 and Q4: Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc. Plus, as more people purchase PS5, the total number of first- and third-party games sales will increase. This also includes games released in 2020: Miles Morales and Demon's Souls, for example.

I foresee roughly $30 billion in revenue this year for Sony, and damn that's a lot of money!

kikii

here we go again so many stockholders in this thread uuh..so many rich ppl send me some monies :(

hlm666

The thread tags for these should be called "Profit BDSM". This must be only industry I can think of where people without any stake in a company get bent over a barrel and abused till they are bleeding and turn around cheer it on.

assurdum

Banned
Well if we want to be brutally honest it's not like Nintendo was a monster in the gaming business of content and services eh.

Last edited:
The thread tags for these should be called "Profit BDSM". This must be only industry I can think of where people without any stake in a company get bent over a barrel and abused till they are bleeding and turn around cheer it on.
iPhone.

zedinen

Revenue is key to long-term success.

PlayStation steady sales growth tends to generate more cash than Nintendo wild swings in revenue.

mxbHUVj.jpeg

(OCF indicates the amount of money a company brings in from its regular business activities)

PlayStation consistency enables SIE to grow internally (w/o M&A) faster than Nintendo

kPntwPt.jpeg

(Total Investment : CaPEX and R&D)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Add to that, that the console with a higher install base and poorer controller quality also presumably sells a lot more controllers, and things start adding up, especially when you count the PS VR and the numerous PS4s still being sold at outrageous prices.

Taking the revenue numbers for "Hardware and Accessories", dividing them and using that to base sales numbers for consoles is just... mindblowing. It's got to be trolling at this point.

Yeah... our accurate, cute TBiddy. Now go get the actual, official numbers that MS is hiding. Also poorer controller? They use the same fucking analogs on all 3 platforms. Also Xbox controller are having much more problems than the "shared" problem:

Yeah, Xbox is selling a poorer controller at premium price with no batteries and zero R&D by stealing the sharing button and adding nothing more for more than a decade. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Not to mention selling extremely faulty Elite that is priced as much as Xbox Series X!

xboxcontrollerelite.jpg

Warranty was less than 1 year, they knew what they were doing to their poor customers.

Wayne Knight Laughing GIF

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
That's because Microsoft fucked up in 2013 and PlayStation ran with that along with the gaming media hating on Microsoft even though they deserved it for a few years. Plain and simple, Xbox fucked up and PlayStation took that and took advantage. I don't need that crap that you just said. -- Funny enough Xbox has been fixing themselves and the media still dogs them down like having doggy-style sex. Plain and simple. People still have that 2013 mindset and honestly, I don't blame them, Microsoft is at fault for that. They executed their plans too early. It was too early for what they wanted to do in 2013. Now Microsoft is playing catching up and in the best ways possible but in all honestly the reason why those stupid fanboys are still wetting themselves with hatred over Microsoft is because of the media and their pathetic bias over Xbox. Anything else you want me to add or would like me to write out a long paragraph on your stupid response that I did not even ask for?

I don’t care about the media, I just distrust Microsoft.

And I’m not alone, considering how their consumer products have fared.

And even then I bought a 360 because the ps3 was a trashfire during the first years.

Last edited:

TBiddy

Yeah... our accurate, cute TBiddy. Now go get the actual, official numbers that MS is hiding. Also poorer controller? They use the same fucking analogs on all 3 platforms. Also Xbox controller are having much more problems than the "shared" problem:

I love when you move the goalposts like that, instead of owning up to the nonsense you post. Explain to me again how you managed to arrive at the 7.8 million vs. 2.4 million numbers instead of shifting the focus.

PS. I can post useless links as well:

Let's try and act like adults, yeah? I've seen you do it before, I know you've got it in you.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I love when you move the goalposts like that, instead of owning up to the nonsense you post. Explain to me again how you managed to arrive at the 7.8 million vs. 2.4 million numbers instead of shifting the focus.

PS. I can post useless links as well:

Let's try and act like adults, yeah? I've seen you do it before, I know you've got it in you.

Yeah like ignoring the fact that Xbox standard and Elite controllers using the exact same analogs on PS controllers and Nintendo? Nah, that's not adult. Also you can provide your analogy and why that is "wrong" with official reference from Microsoft, just like I did. Good luck.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
That's because Microsoft fucked up in 2013 and PlayStation ran with that along with the gaming media hating on Microsoft even though they deserved it for a few years. Plain and simple, Xbox fucked up and PlayStation took that and took advantage. I don't need that crap that you just said. -- Funny enough Xbox has been fixing themselves and the media still dogs them down like having doggy-style sex. Plain and simple.
The media was and still is very pro Xbox specially if they are from English speaking counties. So I have no idea where you came with that idea.

This also plays with reality that Xbox is competition . For over 10 years the Xbox brand was only focused on English speaking countries, so much that in the rest of the world now, Xbox barely has a presence in gaming.

Yet, if anything barely positive happens at Xbox we will have tons of articles/media about it.

TBiddy

Yeah like ignoring the fact that Xbox standard and Elite controllers using the exact same analogs on PS controllers and Nintendo? Nah, that's not adult. Also you can provide your analogy and why that is "wrong" with official reference from Microsoft, just like I did. Good luck.

You can start by telling everyone how on earth you arrived at these numbers:

Yup, to be exact it's 3.2x more, so out of 7.8M it should be roughly 2.4M consoles for X and S which is a massive margin.

When you've done that, we can start talking about DualShocks and their notoriously poor quality - not that it's important for the discussion, per se, but still. I'd just like to see you defend your calculations first.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Depends.

But when calculating which is the big boy in gaming, revenue is king.

Might sound funny, but Tencent is the biggest in both revenue and profit. It's sad but true, mobile gaming is where the money at, no wonder PlayStation established a sub-division for mobile gaming.

Top Bottom