• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Qantas cuts 5000 jobs, posts $252 million first half loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.smh.com.au/business/avia...2-million-first-half-loss-20140226-33i4c.html

Qantas will axe 5000 jobs, ditch unprofitable routes and retire ageing gas-guzzling planes in the biggest shake up of its operations since it was floated almost two decades ago.

It is the biggest cull of Qantas' staff since chief executive Alan Joyce took the reins in 2008, and will reduce the airline's workforce to about 27,000 over the next three years.

Before the latest retrenchments, Mr Joyce had announced almost 4200 job cuts during his tenure.

The airline also reported a $252 million underlying loss in the first half amid a bitter fight with Virgin Australia in the domestic market, and intense competition on international routes. It is Qantas' biggest first-half loss since the Keating government began cutting it free from government ownership in 1995.

The job cuts from Qantas's 33,000-strong workforce will be across the board. They include reducing management and back office staffing levels by about 1500. It will also wind back its aircraft maintenance operations and catering.

Qantas will also ditch flying between Perth and Singapore later this year and retire six Boeing 747 jumbos. It has also deferred the delivery of the last eight A380 super jumbos it has on order, as well as the last three of 14 new 787 Dreamliners due for Jetstar.

It will also shelve growth plans for Singaporean budget offshoot Jetstar Asia amid intense competition with other budget airlines in the region.

Qantas shares fell sharply Thursday, down about 6.5 per cent at $1.1875.
Qantas declared a statutory loss of $235 million for the six months to December, compared with a $109 million profit in the same period a year earlier. Revenue fell 4 per cent to $7.9 billion.

Qantas' domestic operations reported a 74 per cent fall in pre-tax profit to $57 million, which was blamed on intense competition in the domestic market and growth in capacity.
But it was overshadowed again by Qantas' international operations, which slumped to a $262 million loss compared with a $91 million loss previously.

Big-E

As an outsider, it always seemed a bit weird to me that Qantas was buying so many of the big new expensive planes. Canada has a larger population than Australia and Air Canada doesn't go crazy with the spending on the new luxury airliners.

giri

Joyce is really earning that 3 mill salary.

Short sighted posts are short sighted.

It sucks. And i feel terrible for everyone who has lost their job. But they've taken an absolute beating and have been cutting back for years now that the market has more competition in Australia.

I also feel for guys like REX who are quite right, it's pretty BS that they're competing against a giant, won, and now the government is propping up the loser at the smaller guys detriment.

seanoff

Joyce should be the first of the 5000 sacked.

His management has been a disaster. I have heard some quite troubling things about the financial mgt of the company as well as the ridiculous and damaging forays into asia with the various strains of jetstar.

The company has grossly underperformed under him, he should resign or be fired, instantly.

giri

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Across the pond Air NZ reported 29% increase in profits to 180 Million.

I feel sorry for those that lost their jobs. Qantas is run like shit by the higher ups.

markot

Banned
Wish we had a decent government. Just do what Obama did to the automakers.

Clearly management is screwy. Not to mention, most competition they face is publically funded overseas.

Qantas is part of Australia, to see it so mismanaged and destroyed is kinda sad.

THRILLH0

Banned
It's always seemed odd to me that the gaming side will hold an e-vigil for the 50 people that got sacked by Sony but a thread like this will be lucky to reach a second page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom