• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Mod Turns the Game Into a Souls-like

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Being developed by József Pajor, who prefers to go by the moniker Adam, this Quake mod will turn the game into a third-person action title. A video shows it in action, and many will agree that it makes the 1996 release look and play more like Elden Ring or pretty much any other FromSoftware title.

Speaking to PCGamesN, Adam said he is looking to turn the FPS into something more Souls-like with some Castlevania influences thrown into the mix. The first thing that many will notice is the change of perspective, with a stronger focus on melee combat. The fact that this upcoming Quake mod leans towards something like Dark Souls, Elden Ring, or Castevania is an interesting take on the game, but some may not be too bewildered by the mash-up. If there's one thing these games have in common, it's their dark and gothic aesthetic.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I can appreciate the initiative, but it looks pretty rough right now. Can't get enough of Quake (and Doom) though, so let's just wait and see.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Not really relavent to this mod, but I remember back in the mid 90’s going to quakemods website and downloading tons of peoples takes on 3rd person games. Most were super rough (much like this) but some did some really cool stuff and it was always interesting how they could use an FPS engine for this. Such a fun time in gaming (except downloading this stuff on on dail up modem)

Last edited:

Danknugz

A creative ambition to rival Romero's original napkin design document (y)
I'm not familiar with that but I do recall dev chatter around the time of the "qtest" alpha that they were looking to make quake more close combat and melee based.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
"Souls-like"....jfc

This is a mod that allows Quake to be played like Rune or Heretic 2. Although Rune used the Unreal engine and Heretic 2 used the Quake 2 engine, but still a zillion miles away from a souls-like (and damn you to anyone who brings up kings field)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm not familiar with that but I do recall dev chatter around the time of the "qtest" alpha that they were looking to make quake more close combat and melee based.

It was supposed to be a 3rd person RPG before they turned it into an FPS I believe?

MiguelItUp

"Souls-like"....jfc

This is a mod that allows Quake to be played like Rune or Heretic 2. Although Rune used the Unreal engine and Heretic 2 used the Quake 2 engine, but still a zillion miles away from a souls-like (and damn you to anyone who brings up kings field)
Right?! Lmao. Third person automatically = Souls-like, apparently. 🤷‍♂️

Shifty

To quote the end card from one of the Commander Keen games:

As a follow-up to the Commander Keen trilogy, id Software is working on 'The Fight For Justice': A completely new approach to fantasy gaming. You start not as a weakling with no food -- you start as Quake, the strongest, most dangerous person on the continent. You start off with a Hammer of Thunderbolts, a Ring of Regeneration, and a Trans-Dimensional Artifact. Here the fun begins. You fight for Justice, a secret organization devoted to vanquishing evil from the land! This is role-playing excitement.

So effectively, it was going to be one of Romero's D&D campaigns in video game form before it hit development hell and reeled its scope way back in. Then he split off to form Ion Storm and made Daikatana, which is essentially the second coming of that idea, right down to including the Hammer of Thunderbolts - renamed and reframed as the Hammer of Zeus - and with dimension hopping replaced by time travel.

As for the napkin itself, I don't have a direct source for that one, but have heard that it essentially consisted of:
Castles baby! Lots of castles! :messenger_grinning:

"Souls-like"....jfc

I've not played Rune, but honestly I think the comparison to Heretic 2 is a bit generous. That game's surprisingly well-formed when it comes to melee combat options.

All this mod really appears to do is enable third-person, slow Ranger to walking pace, tweak some damage numbers to make melee viable, and add extra startup (and animations, maybe?) to the axe swing. I imagine it's a pain in the ass to implement in QuakeC, but it's got a ways to go before reaching those lofty Souls and Castlevania aspirations.

Really this is just the usual; low-tier bloggers fellating Souls at every opportunity because it's popular and gets attention, and accidentally lifting up a small hobby project in the process.

Last edited:
Top Bottom