• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Ray Tracing Is Now Available

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

User Sultim Tsyrendashiev, also known as sultim-t, has released their own mod for the original Quake, which implements full ray tracing capabilities. A trailer opens by saying, in the style of G-Man, that a similar Half-Life modification has had to be delayed, before the video then bursts into life by showing the new and improved version of Quake. A side-by-side comparison shows that, while still retaining the look of the original game, it's got lovely lighting effects galore, with some spectacular reflections, shadows, and overall illumination. It all looks very impressive, especially for a game this old.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is why ray tracing is so important.

It can make a nearly 30 year old game look more impressive than leagues of games being released in 2022.

Hopefully in the next decade or so we'll have fully ray traced lighting in AAA games.
It does improve on some things, but everything becomes way too shiny and lighting is exaggerated (gunshot feels brighter than signalling flares 😂).

ZehDon

tenor.gif

I didn't see it anywhere but maybe I missed something, does this straight up require a 20 series or newer card? I know my 1080 Ti is slow at ray tracing but it technically can run both DX12 and Vulkan RT. Original Metro Exodus and Quake 2 RTX prove that for each respectively. But for some odd reason, this crashes immediately after launching it. I guess I'll find out in a week or so when I get a 4090.

Mithos

I didn't see it anywhere but maybe I missed something, does this straight up require a 20 series or newer card? I know my 1080 Ti is slow at ray tracing but it technically can run both DX12 and Vulkan RT. Original Metro Exodus and Quake 2 RTX prove that for each respectively. But for some odd reason, this crashes immediately after launching it. I guess I'll find out in a week or so when I get a 4090.
I need to keep DLSS/FSR at Quality to get locked 60fps on my 2060 Super @ 1080p.

Glad for people that are hyped for this. Doesn’t really look all that impressive to me outside of the shadows. It all looks too bright and takes away from the atmosphere in my opinion.

GHG

Gold Member
It can make a nearly 30 year old game look more impressive than leagues of games being released in 2022.

It improves how it looks over the original but let's not kid ourselves, as well as it still plays it still looks like pixel puke by today's standards.

Really excited for the HL1 mod though, if he can get that working well there is potential for all other source engine games.

ReBurn

Gold Member
This is why ray tracing is so important.

Hopefully in the next decade or so we'll have fully ray traced lighting in AAA games.
A league is a unit of length.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Quake: Ray Traced is a mod for the original PC game by Sultim Tsyrendashiev that uses hardware-accelerated RT to create one of the most transformative upgrades we've ever seen from a classic game. In this video, Alex talks you through the various modes, how RT is deployed, how FSR2 and DLSS check out and examines performance implications.

Ray tracing is like the second coming of Jesus for nerds and is the perfect contradiction for a graphic whore guy at the same time.

Xdrive05

Note on performance:

My entry level RTX card (3050 8GB) gets 60fps @ 1080p native and over 120fps @ 1080p w/DLSS on Balanced. Feels good to play path tracing at 120 fps on a "budget" card. I think the 3050 is faster than the 2060 at ray tracing but definitely slower at raster (10-20% depending on the game). But for a game like this, we're definitely limited only by the ray tracing, which probably explains why it's running better than Alex's 2060 which needed DLSS even to hit 60.

If anyone interested: there is config.cfg in ID folder of RTQuake which contains some very interesting RT settings. I managed to make it naturally dark and it's amazing.

Top Bottom