• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quakecon 2021: QUAKE available now for PC/PS4/XB1/Switch, updated original w/new expansion +split screen, cross play, and more

I love that this has a low resolution mode, but it feels off... too blurry. Low resolution shouldn't look blurry, it should just be less detailed and jagged. It kinda feels like they used some sort of filtering to shrink down the image, then blew it back up to fit the entire screen. Hope they fix it because in theory it is incredible, but it's distracting as is.

Patrick S.

Banned
I love this. I already had it on the Bethesda launcher, but for giggles I rebought it off cdkeys.com again for Steam for €1,59 and it activated as the enhanced version.

Bombolone

Gold Member
Awesome stuff.
I might pick up that ultimate edition. I don't care at all for playing Quake on PS4 but I want that stuff.

Banned
Is it possible to turn off cross plat, I'm getting murdered online playing on switch

does switch have gyro aim? because if it does you will wipe the floor with Xbox and PS4 players, as the stick controls are basically not usable lol

Last edited:

tommib

does switch have gyro aim? because if it does you will wipe the floor with Xbox and PS4 players, as the stick controls are basically not usable lol
You also have gyro aiming on PS4 but I turned it off. I got used to the controller fast honestly. Playing like I’m 15 again. :p

Banned
You also have gyro aiming on PS4 but I turned it off. I got used to the controller fast honestly. Playing like I’m 15 again. :p

I played 3 levels but that stick aiming is ridiculously terrible, early PS2 cheap CoD clone kinda terrible... like super bad. if you had good stick aiming you could also play crossplay without issue.

Last edited:

Banned
I guess we disagree. 🙏

well I get if you get used to it and just accept it, but if you actually think these stick aiming controls are good you are out of your mind. I don't think this is some kind of opinion based observation, it's literally badly implemented and you can't do precise and calculated movements of your retice with them due to the semi random and unpredictable nature of the acceleration.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Just had a quick fumble on the PC. It's so smooth. Fog effect is nicely implemented too. Will get the Switch version tomorrow.

tommib

well I get if you get used to it and just accept it, but if you actually think these stick aiming controls are good you are out of your mind. I don't think this is some kind of opinion based observation, it's literally badly implemented and you can't do precise and calculated movements of your retice with them due to the semi random and unpredictable nature of the acceleration.
I’m out of my mind playing episode 2 on nightmare. What can I do. Someone put me on a padded cell.

Ivan

They really have no clue how to make aiming feel good on a controller...

I know you'll say that Quake can't be played like that, but that's not what I'm talking about. This is lowest possible effort with result I just can't explain. Someone greenlit this...

The acceleration curve is one of the worst I tried and I expected them to try some new things and surprise us. This game could work, but these guys can't do it.

Last edited:
It is worth remembering that both the current gen Xbox and PlayStation support mouse and keyboard natively. I don't know if Bethesda have enabled mouse and keyboard controls in the game though.

JLB

Banned
I just noticed this game has cross play.

The game that invented the mouse flick and rocket jumping. The originator of twitch shooters. Veteran players move like goddamn water, vertically and horizontally.

How on earth did they think cross play was going to go?

Switch players are the free tier bots of PS/Xbox players confirmed.

Ceadeus

Yes and it's on by default. You can also turn off cross platform but without it there's no people playing online :/

I hope it's because it's too new

Last edited:

Fake

I just noticed this game has cross play.

The game that invented the mouse flick and rocket jumping. The originator of twitch shooters. Veteran players move like goddamn water, vertically and horizontally.

How on earth did they think cross play was going to go?

Crossplay is just a social media factor. They never take into consideration the huge gap between consoles/PC.

Last edited:

Banned
Yes and it's on by default. You can also turn off cross platform but without it there's no people playing online :/

I hope it's because it's too new

if the gyro aim is well implemented you should wipe the floor with any PS4 (who doesn't use gyro) and Xbox player tho. only PC players will be an issue, but the stick aiming on controller is disastrously bad!

I’m out of my mind playing episode 2 on nightmare. What can I do. Someone put me on a padded cell.

like I said, I get if you just get used to the bad controls, but they are objectively bad. I could write a 100 paragraph text right now on why they are objectively bad, I'll try to make it as short as possible...

first of all, aim acceleration is bad... like any type of it. that has to be said before anything else. but it's even worse here,

the aim acceleration starts as soon as you move the stick and doesn't reset if you change direction
this means it's almost impossible to predict its behavior because in one moment the acceleration might be at 40% and if you switch direction but don't hit the deadzone while doing so, the acceleration will go up while aiming in the other direction (let's say Left first then right)

-so just as an example of what could happen: moving the stick to the left at 30% distance for 2 seconds will turn you left 90°, now you move the stick to the right but you just about miss the deadzone in the middle that would reset acceleration. you move the stick to the right also exactly 30% and for also exactly 2 seconds again, but the acceleration willl not be reset, meaning you will now turn 130° instead.

so in one direction you will turn 90° and in the other you will turn 130° even tho you pressed it for the exact same amount of time and at the same distance from the center.

this gets really bad in multiplayer when you have to do super fast moment to moment reactive aiming. it's an objectively bad controller aiming setting that should have never made it into the final game. it's beyond me how developers still suck so hard at making good controller aiming for shooters in the year of our lord the spaghetti monster, 2021

Last edited:

Banned
Crossplay is just a social media factor. They never take into consideration the huge gap between consoles/PC.

you can use mouse and keyboard on console, at least on Xbox (although I head mouse is glitched at the moment)

Downloaded it on gamepass this morning and good lord I feel like I need a mouse because stick aim feels like I really will need to develop a feel for it.

Edit: okay reading the thread clearly not alone.

Last edited:

Fake

you can use mouse and keyboard on console, at least on Xbox (although I head mouse is glitched at the moment)

If you dismiss perfomance and Nintendo Switch, sure.

Fortnine devs think the same way when they add crossplay... and remove for good.

Fake

Switch performance is borked?

My perfomance take was about PS4 and Xbox One. The Switch thing was really the remove of crossplay between Nintendo Switch and others consoles/PC.

IDK if Nintendo Switch have support for keyboard/mouse, have they?

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Completed Episode 1 on Nightmare using stick controls and it feels tight and fun. About halfway through on the PC version, same difficulty. Only died a handful of times due to mistiming the Shamblers. I can't wait to pick up that Collector's Edition from LRG!

Fake

Completed Episode 1 on Nightmare using stick controls and it feels tight and fun. About halfway through on the PC version, same difficulty. Only died a handful of times due to mistiming the Shamblers. I can't wait to pick up that Collector's Edition from LRG!

Is there a physical version?

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Is there a physical version?

There will be!

Limited Run Games on Twitter: "We're loading up physical Quake pre-orders on Aug 27th! Choose from the Standard, Deluxe, and Ultimate Editions on PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch via https://t.co/uFFLbeCnQB! https://t.co/jVnAUjmlVQ" / Twitter

PS4 and Switch are getting physical releases in standard, limited, and collector's edition variants. I really wish Xbox would have gotten one, but I believe there is a thing where Microsoft or LRG requires a certain number of discs to be produced? Not too sure, to be honest. Maybe someone who knows more about that situation can shed some more light on it.

bender

What time is it?
My perfomance take was about PS4 and Xbox One. The Switch thing was really the remove of crossplay between Nintendo Switch and others consoles/PC.

IDK if Nintendo Switch have support for keyboard/mouse, have they?

Oh, I read that as having performance issues on the Switch.

I love Quake so much. I'll be getting a physical copy for Switch from LRG.

Fake

Oh, I read that as having performance issues on the Switch.

I love Quake so much. I'll be getting a physical copy for Switch from LRG.

No, no. I watched someone playing Quake on Switch as is smooth.

I was thinking of get a physical version too. Need to see if is possible for me.

Stuart360

Its a shame about the controller support on the console versions, and i dont even know why that is because the controller support on the PC version is fantastic. Just completed 8 levels, zero deaths using a XSX controller on PC.

Stuart360

Yeah the controller support on the PC version is awesome. Dont know whats going on with console.

Stuart360

Game is as good if not better than I remember, but they must fix the controller aiming. A better low res rendering solution would put icing on the cake.
You keep going on about low resolution lol. Even the Switch can run this game well, there is no need to play in low resolution. Is it a nostalgia thing?

ACESHIGH

Banned
hopefully Quake 2 follows since I already have it on the Bethesda launcher. QOL options and controller support is always great for PC games. Is there any way to downgrade the PC version to get the OG experience?

Last edited:
You keep going on about low resolution lol. Even the Switch can run this game well, there is no need to play in low resolution. Is it a nostalgia thing?
I love how the game looks at 320x200 lol. I guess it is nostalgia, but I genuinely prefer it. I didn't even like the look of GLQuake back in the day, and still don't.

Edit: this explains pretty well the issues with GLQuake: https://www.quaddicted.com/engines/software_vs_glquake

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I love that this has a low resolution mode, but it feels off... too blurry. Low resolution shouldn't look blurry, it should just be less detailed and jagged. It kinda feels like they used some sort of filtering to shrink down the image, then blew it back up to fit the entire screen. Hope they fix it because in theory it is incredible, but it's distracting as is.
It's the mipmapping, which didn't exist in the original low res software renderer.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
hopefully Quake 2 follows since I already have it on the Bethesda launcher. QOL options and controller support is always great for PC games. Is there any way to downgrade the PC version to get the OG experience?
Yes, when you launch in Steam a pop up asks you which version to run. Quake (Original) gets you the old school GLQuake.

It seems a bit further downgraded than the version that was previously up; You need to use the console to enable mouselook or change resolutions. It's the real old school experience. Still runs fine after all these years but it's a good reminder of all the improvements in the remaster.

Banned
If you dismiss perfomance and Nintendo Switch, sure.

Fortnine devs think the same way when they add crossplay... and remove for good.

you can play at 120hz on Xbox (also coming to PS5 later it seems). everything after 120hz is a very subtle advantage. you also dismiss the fact that most PC players, as in the lower end to mid range users (which is most PC users), also often have 60hz Monitors

Last edited:
Top Bottom