• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quakecon 2021: QUAKE available now for PC/PS4/XB1/Switch, updated original w/new expansion +split screen, cross play, and more

Ixion

They definitely made and released this remaster on all platforms this year to drum up hype for that Quake reboot we've all been asking for, which I'm guessing will then be Xbox exclusive (and if so, that will make me buy an Xbox assuming it looks cool). id Software did the same thing two years ago when they released the classic Doom ports a handful of months before Doom Eternal.

With that said, this is a fuckin treat. Quake 1 is one of my favorites, and to have basically the ultimate suped up version on my console just made my day.

Fake

you can play at 120hz on Xbox (also coming to PS5 later it seems). everything after 120hz is a very subtle advantage. you also dismiss the fact that most PC players, as in the lower end to mid range users (which is most PC users), also often have 60hz Monitors

Just a friendly reminder that crossplay came very way back from Xbox Series X/PS5, actually came even before PS4/XBX.

Easy now using high end consoles for comparison.

WHo the **** asked for this?? And why is people paying for it?
People who don't always want to game on PCs would be happy to play one of the cornerstones of 3D FPSes on their console of choice and be able to experience it in its chunky, low resolution glory or its updated form (read about how Nightdive updated the models and animations for example).

And despite its age, it's still a quality game selling at a great price, lower than any other boomer shooter in the digital space for consoles.

On PC, it's a free upgrade if you already own it on Steam.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Who the fuck came up with the idea that motion controls should be on by default on the consoles? Other that that 5 second annoyance it's looking good, now I just have to find some time to play it. :)

MiguelItUp

Sadly they havent played much console shooters or we wouldnt have to deal with such fucked port
No say it's "fucked" is a bit overdramatic IMO. Played it just fine on the Switch, at least. Are there some minor issues that need to be addressed? Sure, and they will be soon enough. But I was able to play to level 3 on Nightmare without major issues.

Last edited:

Romulus

I have a homebrew port of this on my original 2002 Xbox. Butter smooth of course and works great with the controller.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've never played Quake. Never had a PC back then. I saw all of them were on PC Gamepass. Should I just go with the latest?

Banned
I've never played Quake. Never had a PC back then. I saw all of them were on PC Gamepass. Should I just go with the latest?
Quake 3 is multiplayer only. Quake 1 and 2 aren't that different in terms of core gameplay that it would make much of a difference if you play one or the other first tbh.

the art style is quite different tho. Quake 2 is more scifi esque while Quake 1 is more gothic esque

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Quake 3 is multiplayer only. Quake 1 and 2 aren't that different in terms of core gameplay that it would make much of a difference if you play one or the other first tbh.

the art style is quite different tho. Quake 2 is more scifi esque while Quake 1 is more gothic esque
Is there a definitive favorite? Also don't they have RTX now?

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Actually, there isn't, haha.

If I had to choose, I'd say Quake 1 is it. I adore Quake 2, hell, a lot of people do, but there are also people that don't agree. Same with Quake 3, probably didn't help that it was multiplayer only.

Quake 2 is the only one with RTX currently. Though it sounds like RTX is coming to Quake at a later date.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Actually, there isn't, haha.

If I had to choose, I'd say Quake 1 is it. I adore Quake 2, hell, a lot of people do, but there are also people that don't agree. Same with Quake 3, probably didn't help that it was multiplayer only.

Quake 2 is the only one with RTX currently. Though it sounds like RTX is coming to Quake at a later date.
Cool man, thanks for the info. Always nice to jump into a piece of gaming history that I missed out on because I was poor.

MiguelItUp

Cool man, thanks for the info. Always nice to jump into a piece of gaming history that I missed out on because I was poor.
Very welcome man! Anytime! You're in for a treat across the board!

Quake was huge at the time because, well, it was the first fully rendered FPS, along with an engine that allowed verticality. So it was pretty insane. The campaign is outstanding, even today. As is the multiplayer. Also the modding community is still very much alive. Much like DOOM. So many absolutely adored the clear Lovecraftian influence.

Quake 2 was originally not meant to be a Quake sequel, but its own IP. Which is why there's such a broad shift in the games look and art style. That Lovecraftian influence that people loved is gone, but replaced with a more futuristic yet gritty sci-fi world. Once the decision was made they made ends meet in ways where it felt more like a planned sequel. Familiar weapons, sounds, etc. Again, a great campaign, and multiplayer. Though some may disagree. The multiplayer was HUGE for me as it was my first exposure to player custom maps, full on game mods, player models, skins, and sound packs. I adored it.

Quake 3's look and art style is a blend of Q1 and Q2. A LOT of people loved it because of the strong multiplayer focus. It was a very risky move for them, and in a ton of ways it paid off. I still enjoyed it quite a bit, but it was my least favorite.

Hell, even Quake 4 was pretty cool (it was essentially a sequel to Quake 2). Though a ton of people don't really talk about it too much, aside from a few cool key moments in the campaign. It used the id tech 4 engine that DOOM 3 used, so in a lot of ways it almost felt like a DOOM 3 expansion, haha. Never got to really experience the multiplayer myself, it was never really popping at the time. I think of all the games, this one may have been on the lower well received end.

Great series through and through though. Incredibly influential in a variety of ways. Much like DOOM.

Each iteration used a new idtech engine that continued to improve and grow with each game.

Last edited:

Fake

Man, Nightdive really is one of my favorite modern devs. They do some absolutely outstanding work.

Imagine being someone attempting to mock this release. Ridiculous.

Love those guys. They do an incredible job.

Nightdive and the Taxman dev team are my favorite. I'll always support their jobs.

Xdrive05

Picked this up on Steam. Never played Quake 1 or 2, so this is quite the treat. I went right for the hardest difficulty and it's kicking my butt on the second map. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

This is just so smooth at 240fps. Fast movement + high framerate = sexy & responsive!

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Most people seem to favor Quake 1, at least for the single player. Quake 2 made a lot of technical improvements (most of which have been rolled back into the first in this remaster) and had more of a continuous world, but the level design just isn't as interesting.

They don't connect in terms of story at all, Quake 1 pulls a lot of lovecraftian horror fantasy elements and kind of mixes tech and medieval elements, where Quake II is a straight up sci-fi battle against a Borg-like enemy. They're really different games.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Went into a pub in London during the half marathon, 3 cokes and 1 pint, £22

What the fuck though.
Oh Come On Jim Carrey GIF

Tbf I haven't been drinking since the early 2000's so that's why it's a bigger shock to me.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Dang, read all the comments and not one person has checked to see if mouse and keyboard compatability is in on Xbox or PS? I'm on vacation and can't check myself.

Ok so I bought this and wanted to crossplay with my friend who is on xbox (I am on PS5), we can play together but there isn't voicechat. Anyone tried it? We tried everything. :'(

Banned
Ok so I bought this and wanted to crossplay with my friend who is on xbox (I am on PS5), we can play together but there isn't voicechat. Anyone tried it? We tried everything. :'(

download either the Xbox app or the PS app and just use that to voicechat. if one of you uses one of those mono headsets that are only for chatting anyways then that's not a big deal...

if you both want to use audio over headphones it's a bit shit of course

download either the Xbox app or the PS app and just use that to voicechat. if one of you uses one of those mono headsets that are only for chatting anyways then that's not a big deal...

if you both want to use audio over headphones it's a bit shit of course
Yeah we want to use one pair of headset for gamesound and voicechat. I think it's just bugged atm and they will fix it. Still sucks for now though.

Banned
Dang, read all the comments and not one person has checked to see if mouse and keyboard compatability is in on Xbox or PS? I'm on vacation and can't check myself.

I think the Xbox has compatibility but the mouse doesn't work correctly or something

Lone Wolf

There will be!

Limited Run Games on Twitter: "We're loading up physical Quake pre-orders on Aug 27th! Choose from the Standard, Deluxe, and Ultimate Editions on PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch via https://t.co/uFFLbeCnQB! https://t.co/jVnAUjmlVQ" / Twitter

PS4 and Switch are getting physical releases in standard, limited, and collector's edition variants. I really wish Xbox would have gotten one, but I believe there is a thing where Microsoft or LRG requires a certain number of discs to be produced? Not too sure, to be honest. Maybe someone who knows more about that situation can shed some more light on it.

Apparently Xbox will start getting limited physical releases. Who knows when though.

MacReady13

Played through some of Quake yesterday and even though I said I have never played it I vaguely remember playing that 1st level so I must have played it on N64 when I was younger. Either way, game is brilliant! The level design is Doom levels awesome! That John Romero really knows how to design levels...

SkylineRKR

Very welcome man! Anytime! You're in for a treat across the board!

Quake was huge at the time because, well, it was the first fully rendered FPS, along with an engine that allowed verticality. So it was pretty insane. The campaign is outstanding, even today. As is the multiplayer. Also the modding community is still very much alive. Much like DOOM. So many absolutely adored the clear Lovecraftian influence.

Quake 2 was originally not meant to be a Quake sequel, but its own IP. Which is why there's such a broad shift in the games look and art style. That Lovecraftian influence that people loved is gone, but replaced with a more futuristic yet gritty sci-fi world. Once the decision was made they made ends meet in ways where it felt more like a planned sequel. Familiar weapons, sounds, etc. Again, a great campaign, and multiplayer. Though some may disagree. The multiplayer was HUGE for me as it was my first exposure to player custom maps, full on game mods, player models, skins, and sound packs. I adored it.

Quake 3's look and art style is a blend of Q1 and Q2. A LOT of people loved it because of the strong multiplayer focus. It was a very risky move for them, and in a ton of ways it paid off. I still enjoyed it quite a bit, but it was my least favorite.

Hell, even Quake 4 was pretty cool (it was essentially a sequel to Quake 2). Though a ton of people don't really talk about it too much, aside from a few cool key moments in the campaign. It used the id tech 4 engine that DOOM 3 used, so in a lot of ways it almost felt like a DOOM 3 expansion, haha. Never got to really experience the multiplayer myself, it was never really popping at the time. I think of all the games, this one may have been on the lower well received end.

Great series through and through though. Incredibly influential in a variety of ways. Much like DOOM.

Each iteration used a new idtech engine that continued to improve and grow with each game.

Quake 4 was a fun romp. I bought it on 360 when it came out, it came with the Quake 2 disc. The game was kind of forgettable at the time but it did have good level design, no weapon limit and rather tight gameplay. I bought it because a friend recommended it and didn't regret. It ran circles around PDZ. Lighting and atmosphere was very good, weapons sounded great. The part where you are chained up on the conveyor is pretty good. I did hate the vehicle levels. MP was also bad, so when I was done with the campaign I was also kinda done with the game.

I think Quake 4 suffered the same fate Doom 64 did, when released it could be considered archaic but in hindsight it was a good game that was faithful to its roots. I would play a touched up version on GP.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Quake 4 was a fun romp. I bought it on 360 when it came out, it came with the Quake 2 disc. The game was kind of forgettable at the time but it did have good level design, no weapon limit and rather tight gameplay. I bought it because a friend recommended it and didn't regret. It ran circles around PDZ. Lighting and atmosphere was very good, weapons sounded great. The part where you are chained up on the conveyor is pretty good. I did hate the vehicle levels. MP was also bad, so when I was done with the campaign I was also kinda done with the game.

I think Quake 4 suffered the same fate Doom 64 did, when released it could be considered archaic but in hindsight it was a good game that was faithful to its roots. I would play a touched up version on GP.
Totally agree with all of this. Especially the end. I'd do the same, for sure. Man, the Stroggification scene is unforgettable IMO

What hurt me the most about Q4 was its terrible and dull multiplayer. After being addicted to Q2 and 3 for its MP, that was the first ID game that felt like MP is an after thought. It continued to new DOOMs as well. Hope that trend stops with Q5 because releasing a game like this only for its singleplayer is like releasing CD without MP.

SkylineRKR

Quake 1 remaster is absolutely fucking awesome. I've been playing it non stop since yesterday. I'm halfway into Episode 3, and then to think that after the base game there are still the bonus packs, and even the N64 version is in this port.

Level design is sick. You can carry all weapons, traps, ambushes, secrets.. its just how an FPS should be. It plays kind of similar to the modern Doom games. Grab a rocket launcher, hop and shoot at the ground. I found all secret levels in the first 3 episodes so far. The Dopefish was a fucking nostalgia boost.

Something went wrong over the years, with FPS becoming completely linear affairs where an AI opens doors for you and you can only wait and walk slowly. Not to mention carry one weapon becauses choices are too hard for gamers who are probably deemed retards by the publishers.

zaanan

Banned
Been wanting to try this forever, so I bought for my PS4. Beat first two missions and so far, not liking the sound or feel of anything. Does it get better? Was expecting to love it as much as Doom.

makaveli60

Seems like a port handled with real care. Unfortunately, I could never get into Quake for some reason, which is surprising as a Doom and id Software fan, I guess. I found the maps boring artstyle-wise, everything looked samey. I didn’t like the weapons, neither design-wise nor gameplay-wise. However, I think with modern tech they could do this whole idea justice and I would be there day 1 if they made a modern version a la Doom 2016.

Doczu

Wait. Mods on sonsoles? Like the ps4? And Quake 64 stuff? All expansions + a new one For 10 bucks?

Fuck me i'm in, hope they'll port 2 as well.

sn0man

I believe that's coming later? I mean, they did say something about next-gen upgrades coming later. So I would assume it's referring to RTX.

Also, have y'all seen this?

Apparently it's going to be available on Switch and PS4 on 8/27 for preorder.

Limited-Run-Quake-Ultimate-PS4-Physical.png
They're obsessed. Upon booting, you are greeted with:

BO36ZDr.png

My internet is connected at the moment so I'm not sure if it disables you from playing this 20+ years old game if your internet is down.

If you click addons, it wants you to create a Bethesda.net account (which I assume is where the Quake 64 addon is):

nnh46ur.png

Just letting everyone know in case they're not into unnecessary shit.

Edit: Just tested offline. It still let's you play the game it seems. It tries to connect and times out after 20 seconds or so. This is on Steam by the way.
Yeah no buy physical when this fucking bullshit is in the game.

Top Bottom