• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quality and performance modes are annoying

Do you research graphics modes before playing?

• Yes - DF, NXg etc

Votes: 111 30.6%
  • No - I always put in Fidelity

Votes: 56 15.4%
  • No - I always put in Performance mode

Votes: 196 54.0%

• Total voters
Default mode? What is that.
It's not always developer intention.
There is a global setting in a console which determines for some games, which mode they default too
Leave those on default too hah.

Someone who is aware of those options will choose what they prefer, however someone who just wants the "console experience" and not bothering with different settings and modes can just leave everything as default and play the game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Leave those on default too hah.

Someone who is aware of those options will choose what they prefer, however someone who just wants the "console experience" and not bothering with different settings and modes can just leave everything as default and play the game.
I am fully aware what mode does what.
But I am not always sure what mode I WANT and what are hidden drawbacks
Even when I am happy with the mode - I have to check what I am loosing from other modes

Last edited:
But I am not always sure what mode I WANT.
Even when I am happy with the mode - I have to check what I am loosing from other modes
Have a little bit of self discipline then and don't look at the options. Leave the system settings at default and leave the game visual settings at default and then you're automatically getting the experience that the developer intended.

Shtef

I got used to 60fps and I always select performance mode, don’t care about resolution. I recently bought batman collection for xbox and it runs really bad, wasted money.
The moment games stop having 60fps option i will just get an PC.

Topher

Gold Member
But I am not always sure what mode I WANT and what are hidden drawbacks

What mode you want? I thought you wanted what the dev intended? That would mean leaving the game preset setting to "game default". Problem solved.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If it’s a console exclusive, I do the research. Otherwise, I stick to PC.
Yeah same here but it still leaves me somehow unsatisfied in some cases.
It's this feeling that someone gives you a candy but do you want a punch in the face or a kick in the ass? (You get to play with nice graphics but worse performance or other drawbacks).

Have a little bit of self discipline then and don't look at the options. Leave the system settings at default and leave the game visual settings at default and then you're automatically getting the experience that the developer intended.
I can't I have too. It's not a real OCD but I HAVE TO play in the best way possible given the options.
The other side is - I preferred when devs created their ones, best optimized vision. I believe optimization for it is not BS

I got used to 60fps and I always select performance mode, don’t care about resolution. I recently bought batman collection for xbox and it runs really bad, wasted money.
The moment games stop having 60fps option i will just get an PC.
Just get a PC now and you can have the eye candy and performance at the SAME TIME!

Gamerguy84

I obviously check them both out. But 60fps has a more pleasing effect to me than higher res usually.

I played HFW on performance despite how bad it was shit on.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What mode you want? I thought you wanted what the dev intended? That would mean leaving the game preset setting to "game default". Problem solved.
Yes, you are correct.
What about Uncharted 4 remaster? Is it developed by Naughty Dog?
It defaults to 1440p60 mode. But their original vision was 1080p30 and later 1440p30.
I switched to 4k30 because it looks sharper and still feels good.
I will probably do next playthrough 1440p60 or on pc 4k120 :p

Topher

Gold Member
Yes, you are correct.
What about Uncharted 4 remaster? Is it developed by Naughty Dog?
It defaults to 1440p60 mode. But their original vision was 1080p30 and later 1440p30.
I switched to 4k30 because it looks sharper and still feels good.
I will probably do next playthrough 1440p60 or on pc 4k120 :p

Good to have those options then.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Using expensive headphones isn't going to make the song suddenly completely different.
LMFAO. You do realize that lossless audio is a thing right? Many people who experience lossless audio talk about how it completely changes the music they listen to. Get a pair of HD600s and a Decent DAC/AMP and you'd change your mind on that real quick.
Likewise, many people who experience high framerate (including 60) talk about how it completely changes the game. Yes, 60 doesn't change the content. What it does do is make the game feel completely different.

LMFAO. You do realize that lossless audio is a thing right? Many people who experience lossless audio talk about how it completely changes the music they listen to. Get a pair of HD600s and a Decent DAC/AMP and you'd change your mind on that real quick.
Likewise, many people who experience high framerate (including 60) talk about how it completely changes the game. Yes, 60 doesn't change the content. What it does do is make the game feel completely different.
That's what I was saying. The music sounds better yes, but a bad song isn't going to turn into a good one.

Also, I have a couple pairs of Sennheiser IE Pro IEMs (IE 100 Pro and 400 Pro) and I love 'em. :)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nah. I can't hear lossless. At least not with fiio e10k and various headphones.
Pulse 3d is right there, great sound, comfort of use, no wires and no fluff getting in the way of music and games. I compared a b with koss porta pro and it sounds about the same…

To be honest, audio is different. Decent 50usd pair like koss porta pro is considered end game by many audiophiles and I can hear why. And good 100usd set with at 320mp3 or even less will take you 97% there as 5k usd headphone system.
With audio, if you hear the difference you need to really pay for that last 3%.
Not comparable to 30 va 60 fps

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
How would that even be possible with those hardware specs?
No 3d graphics = always 60 gameplay. Also, Slowdown was more common than outright FPS drops, so gameplay still stayed smooth (although it ran at half the speed rather than half the fluidity)
Another thing, 4th gen, specifically the Sega Genesis, had blast processing. The PS1 didn't. That's why so many PS1 games were 30fps. GENESIS DOES!!!!

Nah. I can hear lossless. At least not with fiio e10k and various headphones.
Pulse 3d is right there, great sound, comfort of use, no wires and no fluff getting in the way of music and games. I compared a b with koss porta pro and it sounds about the same…

To be honest, audio is different. Decent 50usd pair like koss porta pro is considered end game by many audiophiles and I can hear why. And good 100usd set with at 320mp3 or even less will take you 97% there as 5k usd headphone system.
With audio, if you hear the difference you need to really pay for that last 3%.
Not comparable to 30 va 60 fps
I literally can't tell a difference between CD quality audio and 256Kbps AAC. I switch them back and forth really fast and they're identical to me. Oh well. I've got some pretty good audiophile grade IEMs too.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I literally can't tell a difference between CD quality audio and 256Kbps AAC. I switch them back and forth really fast and they're identical to me. Oh well. I've got some pretty good audiophile grade IEMs too.
it was a typo!
I meant to say "I can't hear lossless"
:D

There needs to be more 120fps modes on console, even if the resolution is like 720p. Because even if you don't want to use that mode, it would mean better support for 120fps on PC. Or give it dynamic resolution and then future console upgrades can run the game at higher resolution.

I'm a firm believer that we won't see good graphics until we go back to 30fps again.

Imagine a 1440p/30fps game on PS5... how insane would that look with all that headroom?
To many people think $500 console boxes can out perform a ryzen w 3080 ti, and want to justify their 4k TV purchase so they won't like this, but it's what's needed.

Yeah they should do this and upscale it to 4k( for people with those tvs. And also have an option for 1080p and 60fps.

Top Bottom