• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantic Dream Star Wars Title Has Been In The Works for 18 Months

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

After Quantic Dream’s three-game deal expired with Sony in 2018, after the release of Detroit: Become Human, the president and founder of the studio, David Cage, began exploring new opportunities and partners.

The rumor was first reported by French YouTuber and ex-journalist Gautoz on September 16, it was reported that “They’ve [Quantic Dream] now finished their contract with Sony and will be signing with Disney”

In a separate conversation, however, I was also speaking to an individual who provided overwhelming evidence that he had contacts at Quantic Dream and reported that the Star Wars game by the studio has been in the works for around 18 months.

The evidence was that concrete in fact, that I reported on the findings with a somewhat of a small cryptic tweet whilst the investigation into the news continued.

It’s still currently unclear on what exactly the 18-month time span entails, with rumors within the French developer community suggesting that the title could have just started full development in the past several months.

What makes the recent bits of information more interesting though, is that the official Quantic Dream Twitter handle liked a tweet of the Star Wars rumor by thegamepost, but the like has since been removed.

yurinka

I would be interested in this game. They also said that to self publish their own games didn't mean that they would stop woking for Sony, they said they kept that door open for future potential colaborations with Sony. I'd be interested on another Sony game from them.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
I'm down for this. Have always enjoyed a weird David Cage game.

WitchHunter

This is one of those perfect marriages of IP + developer.

The potential for a narrative adventure game set, for instance, within the criminal underworld of Coruscant is huge.
The perfect potential... no strings attached, your creativity can roam freely.

I’m all about this. The only issue I have with Quantic Dream games are the batshit crazy stories that sometimes come out of them, but I would imagine Lucasfilm and Disney would keep that under control.
Ofc they will.

Yoda's range of green color: PANTONE PEPPER STEM 17-0542
Verbs usable by Yoda: [...]
Yoda's height. [75 cm]
Yoda's weight. [85 lbs]
Yoda's ears. [included 3d model]
Yoda's IK model. [included]
Yoda's eating habits: [only in the morning, mudweeds mostly, drinks dew from leaves]

Perrott

Gold Member
I thought Ubisoft now have all the rights for Star Wars game IP?
Nah, the thing is more like EA won't have the exclusivity over console Star Wars games anymore, as their 10 year deal is set to expire by FY23 (aka Early 2023). That's why we've started to hear about titles such as the Ubisoft Massive SW game, the KOTOR Remake and now this new SW project by Quantic Dream, all of which are not coming out earlier than 2023-2024.

Last edited:
Final battle - Luke vs Darth Vader

5 minutes of cut scenes.

Both characters bring out their light sabers.

Press X, LS clockwise, RT x2. Hit!

Darth Vader is now stunned and on his knees.

Press RS back, then RS forward to simulate a stabbing thrust.

You win.
You make it sound like so much fun.

Last edited:

Certinty

I'm excited, Heavy Rain and Detroit are two of my favourite games these past few generations. Can't believe Sony didn't buy them.

mxbison

That's cool.

Their games are really well made and I don't know why people hate on them. Not like the market is getting flooded with these games, you want everyone to do the same?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Detroit is really damn good. Regardless of what you think of Cage, as an all-round piece of work (tech, art, game-design) its hard to argue that QD haven't nailed the process of making high-quality interactive movies at this point. And with the advancements in hardware their next project should be even more impressive.

I can see why some people don't like Cage as a writer/director, but that's no reason to overlook the many positive aspects of their output.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Kotaku has heard the same from a third, separate source with knowledge of the studio’s development plans. According to this individual, Quantic Dream has indeed been working on a Star Wars game for approximately a year and a half, but it won’t be the conventional type of quick-time-event-driven game we’ve come to expect from the French studio. Instead, they said, the game will have more traditional action gameplay, and possibly even open world and multiplayer elements.

Javthusiast

Banned
I may have been excited if they improved their old ass clunky gameplay. And more importantly, Cages trash, hammer you over the head with it's themes, dialogue.

But they haven't in all their games so far.

DarthPutin

Really curious what their relationship with Sony at this point. Ruined by the scandal? Good enough to moneyhat temporary exclusive? (Not wishing for it to be clear). Just curious if they want to do much with each other.

DonF

The evidence was that concrete in fact, that I reported on the findings with a somewhat of a small cryptic tweet whilst the investigation into the news continued.
Oh ...First, I puked a little and second, the author of that note is as subtle as a sledgehammer. Literally a character of detroit with 2 lightsabers lol..

I suppose it could be cool. Im in the band of persons that actually likes QD games. I loved detroit.

Last edited:

EDMIX

This whole game about to be a conversation tree with QTEs lol

I love QD but.....I worry about this one.

Neff

Can’t be worse than the sequels.

Pretty much. If you'd have told me in 2015 that a David Cage Star Wars game had a legit shot at being better than an actual Star Wars movie, I'd have laughed my ass off.

Unfortunately, that was then and this is now.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Their High Republic shit has been so hollow and lame.

They want to try so bad to be “oh so original” and avoid already established and far better material. Most of their retcon shit from OG EU works to me, have felt like we are living in the Twilight Zone of just bastardizing past quality and passing it off as your own. It’s been painful to watch.

It’s one part hubris as a company, and another part royalty avoidance.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Their High Republic shit has been so hollow and lame.

They want to try so bad to be “oh so original” and avoid already established and far better material. Most of their retcon shit from OG EU works to me, have felt like we are living in the Twilight Zone of just bastardizing past quality and passing it off as your own. It’s been painful to watch.

It’s one part hubris as a company, and another part royalty avoidance.

Once they reset the cannon I lost a lot of/all my interest in the EU. I understand why they did it but I dont think they have done a good job with the new EU at all. Give me Legends!

Top Bottom