• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum computing will turn everything upside down

cormack12

Gold Member
Dr. Michio Kaku on the new world of quantum computing

Source: https://www.spectator.co.uk/article...o-kaku-on-the-new-world-of-quantum-computing/
...more at link, well worth a read

Everything,’ he says, ‘everything about the economy, medicine, warfare – everything is going to be turned upside down.’ Why? Because quantum computers are unimaginably more powerful than the digital sort.

Digital computers work with ‘bits’, noughts and ones, ‘a very crude approximation of reality’. But quantum computers use the qubit – the state of an atom – as a unit of computation. As we know from quantum theory, atoms can point up or down, but also spin: ‘There are infinitely more states than just zeros and ones… the digital revolution will look like an abacus.’ To give a sense of how fast that scales, in 2019 Google reported that its 53-qubit Sycamore computer could solve in 200 seconds a mathematical problem that would take the fastest digital computer 10,000 years to finish. Last year, IBM unveiled a 433-qubit quantum computer. The 1,121-qubit follow-up is due any day, and it hopes to have a 4,000-qubit version working by 2025.

That means, if I understand him rightly, that quantum computers will allow us to do chemistry without chemicals. Everything from batteries to vaccines is currently invented, effectively, by trial and error: but if you can accurately simulate chemical reactions, you don’t need bubbling flasks. The secrets of everything from human ageing to photosynthesis (a near 100 per cent efficient quantum process that, Kaku reminds us in tones of wonder, takes place at room temperature) can be unlocked.

Pleasingly, some of the first and most important possibilities he sets out are `very material ones. The century-old Haber Process for making fertiliser out of atmospheric nitrogen has made it possible to feed billions who would not otherwise be alive today, but it consumes fully 2 per cent of all the world’s energy. Quantum computing could give us the ability to ‘fix’ nitrogen without the huge temperatures and pressures required – ushering in a new green revolution.

In the medical domain, quantum computers will be able to analyse how drugs work at a molecular level, model and test new ones without ever going near a patient, and analyse the vast and noisy datasets that will allow medics to spot the outbreak of a new pandemic long before humans could. Kaku envisions quantum computers sniffing out cancer ‘years to decades before tumours form’ with routine ‘liquid biopsies’ performed by a ‘smart toilet’ in your home.

Quantum computers may indeed get round to abolishing disease, hunger and global warming. But, even leaving aside the ‘control problem’ when quantum computers give the development of AI a hyper-speed boost, the first thing that they’ll do along the way is to make it possible to break by ‘brute force’ (i.e. sheer computational welly) every form of encryption on the planet.

SJRB

Gold Member
We're not quite there yet, but scientists have made significant progress over the last couple of years while every big tech company hurries to achieve first quantum supremacy. Several parties have claimed supremacy over the years but as far as I'm aware they all came with caveats.

Anyway, can't wait to build this in my basement:

IQM-Quantum-computer-image-opened-0-1024x683.jpg

Robb

Gold Member
Still seems like there are too much uncertainty/unreliability regarding quantum computers to get anything interesting done with them. That’s my impression at least.

It’s a cool concept though.

UnNamed

Banned
According to some studies, QCs are not useful for every task, they are very fast for some operation, but not in general.

I also remember an article... actually I only remember it vaguely so I don't know if it was true or it was just a dream, about scientists that don't know for sure at 100% if recent QCs do real "quantum physics" or they are just very very very fast so the difference is so small they cant tell if QCs works or not.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Still seems like there are too much uncertainty/unreliability regarding quantum computers to get anything interesting done with them. That’s my impression at least.

It’s a cool concept though.
There is. They are mainly used for probability right now as they are best at getting multiple probable outcomes. But there’s also a chance all the outcomes are wrong. It’s a ratios game. Like if there is a lot more outcomes going in one direction than others then that’s the route to investigate.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
I did a webinar recently where my team showed the potential combination of QCPU and AGI technology together.

It is quite literally the birth of 'almost real' artificially intelligent researchers. A single Auto GPT set up on a QCPU can in effect simulate 10,000 human researchers working 24/7 for their entire lives and output it every few seconds.

The drugs and treatments of the 2030s and 2040s will probably make death from 'natural causes' a thing of the past. It just has terrifying implications for bio weapons and beyond-nuclear weapons (what the defense industry calls BNCBMs)

My friends at Nvidia are also doing amazing things utilizing this technology, specifically, to help dr's diagnose illness with a rate of error less than 0.0001%. The AI is able to read brain scans and body scans more accurately than any human, long ago.

Last edited:

E-Cat

I've been reading about quantum computing for the past 20 years, honestly at this point I just zone it out until there's a scalable proof of concept that we can start to see some revolutionary real-world applications. Mostly focused on the rapid improvements in AI these days.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Nah, QC have been around for a while and as someone said, they are more like a niche application. The big step up is/will be AI models goods enough to represent complex physics problems.

Last edited:

Mistake

Just because it will have the capability, doesn’t mean it will happen. You still need people on the other end to write code or verify what is produced. Also, quantum encryption would probably become more of a thing whenever this does, which would cancel things out

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I still don't believe any of it "quantum" bs.
None of this was ever proven and there is no way to prove it as we understand science now.

Unless it's just size because parts are small.. then i's not much to do with quantum physics except size. The bits either exist or not.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I still don't believe any of it "quantum" bs.
None of this was ever proven and there is no way to prove it as we understand science now.

Unless it's just size because parts are small.. then i's not much to do with quantum physics except size. The bits either exist or not.
You can just say you don’t understand it. It’s all been shown to work… not sure what you are even trying to say.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You can just say you don’t understand it. It’s all been shown to work… not sure what you are even trying to say.
of course I don't understand it. It's a bunch of nonsense except nobody understands it so it's like ntf that people are too ashamed to say it's a scam lol.
All I know about quantum mechanics is that the cat is not there if I don't see it. Which is a bs and always was. It's more a philosophy than science.

unless, as I've said in previous post, they just refer to it as "quantum" in the meaning as something small.

yeah I did a tiniest bit of googling few times and none of it makes sense to me.

HoodWinked

Veritasium did an excellent video on the subject. Really interesting thing is that hackers are vaulting encrypted data in the current time so that they can break open that private data in the future.

A graph from the video shows the trajectory for breaking public key encryption, algorithms are improving over time, and quantum computing capability also is improving.

bHYmHGs.png

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Veritasium did an excellent video on the subject. Really interesting thing is that hackers are vaulting encrypted data in the current time so that they can break open that private data in the future.

one of interesting graph from the video shows the trajectory for breaking public key encryption, algorithms are improving over time, and quantum computing capability also is improving.

bHYmHGs.png

I am watching it... I am sure once this crap is somehow real, I will feel stupid

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
of course I don't understand it. It's a bunch of nonsense except nobody understands it so it's like ntf that people are too ashamed to say it's a scam lol.
All I know about quantum mechanics is that the cat is not there if I don't see it. Which is a bs and always was. It's more a philosophy than science.

unless, as I've said in previous post, they just refer to it as "quantum" in the meaning as something small.

yeah I did a tiniest bit of googling few times and none of it makes sense to me.
Well, you are honest, I will give you that. I actually applaud you for it too.

But, to fair, this stuff has been verified experimentally, some you can even do yourself.

Funnily enough, Schrödinger’ scat was actual a “proof” that quantum mechanics didn’t make sense.

It is also fair to say that most of it doesn’t make “sense” to how we observe reality on a macro scale. It makes it hard to wrap your mind around it. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

dave_d

The main thing I've learned from these things on Quantum computing is way too many lay people try to explain quantum entanglement with out understanding it. (No it doesn't imply FTL communication.)

Last edited:

CGNoire

I pretty sure Superpositions and Quantum Entanglement have some merit.

Scotracer

Neo Member

The reason it's called quantum mechanics is that at the smallest scales, energy is in "packets", or quanta. It's like little chunks of energy. And then when they started researching it more and more, it became clear that quantum stuff does NOT work like how our intuition expects. And crazy stuff comes out from there. It's been the foundation of physics for 100 years.

Quantum computers do already exist.

badblue

Funnily enough, Schrödinger’ scat was actual a “proof” that quantum mechanics didn’t make sense.

what the fuck?

In the thought experiment, a hypothetical scat may be considered simultaneously both fresh and dried, while it is unobserved in a closed box, as a result of its fate being linked to a random subatomic event that may or may not occur.

Top Bottom