• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Queen Elizabeth II has passed away

ManaByte

Gold Member
Good, too, because you can imagine the disrespectful shit people would be doing had they the opportunity to perform. You'd without a doubt see some silly twat trying to record a tiktok dance.
Awfab7FMhwnt0Ubof6eCUT7ndIBCLwCujDqniwSGzbI.jpg

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
No matter how you feel about the Monarchy or British state but by fuck they know how to put on Pomp & Ceremony, that's some historical shit and pulled off perfectly, was almost hypnotic with the drums, marching and repeating tune as they wound there way from Westminster through central London

jdforge

Banned
No matter how you feel about the Monarchy or British state but by fuck they know how to put on Pomp & Ceremony, that's some historical shit and pulled off perfectly, was almost hypnotic with the drums, marching and repeating tune as they wound there way from Westminster through central London

Steadfast in an ever changing world, while remaining relevant and revered. No easy task. Hopefully we’ll see that maintained while King Charles goes about further reforms as he is expected to do.

Every Republic in the world wishes they could have this. The growth of The Commonwealth and the world leaders in attendance today only confirm that.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
That was absolutely extraordinary. The removal of the crown, the sceptre and the orb from the coffin was such a powerfully moving symbol of her service coming to its end.
Monty python moment avoided.

Three chances to stumble, drop them and watch them roll along the floor with old men in cassocks chasing after them....and it didn't happen, Well done that man!

xandaca

Monty python moment avoided.

Three chances to stumble, drop them and watch them roll along the floor with old men in cassocks chasing after them....and it didn't happen, Well done that man!

I understand everyone is now leaving to go for a quiet and intimate ceremony, away from the public eye, known as the 128th Upper Class Twit Of The Year competition.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Beautiful and historic service. Everything went perfectly. I'm not ashamed to admit that I had tears in my eyes, especially when the Russian Kondakion of the departed was sung at Windsor and whenever the national anthem was sung.

It might seem bizarre to most people, but the monarchy is a very strong part of my national identity, culture and history. It's such a strong part of my identity that I couldn't imagine being without it. That's all I say on that subject at the risk of breaking the political rules on this forum.

Anyway, thank you Elizabeth. You will be missed.

EYFTbha.jpg

It's fair to assume that a very long time, perhaps centuries, will pass until a comparable funeral and public reaction. The Queen was in the center of the perfect storm of drama and societal change, from the abdication of her uncle through the war, accession at a young age and the enormous progress of the past decades.
Two thousand years from now people will watch and read about today's funeral like we read about Caesar's funeral.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Beautiful and historic service. Everything went perfectly. I'm not ashamed to admit that I had tears in my eyes, especially when the Russian Kondakion of the departed was sung at Windsor and whenever the national anthem was sung.

It might seem bizarre to most people, but the monarchy is a very strong part of my national identity, culture and history. It's such a strong part of my identity that I couldn't imagine being without it. That's all I say on that subject at the risk of breaking the political rules on this forum.

Anyway, thank you Elizabeth. You will be missed.

EYFTbha.jpg
l've always known the image of the older lady throughout my life, she was quite the looker back in her day

Last edited:
I didn't go into town, but it seems that every CEX store was open from 1pm.

Pretty scummy move - all things considering. The funeral was still going on at the time.

if you're going to pay your respects, at least do it properly.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I didn't go into town, but it seems that every CEX store was open from 1pm.

Pretty scummy move - all things considering. The funeral was still going on at the time.

if you're going to pay your respects, at least do it properly.
I'm going to shock you here but loads of shops were open, and people even had the cheek to be in them buying things.

I'm going to shock you here but loads of shops were open, and people even had the cheek to be in them buying things.
Lots of tiny shops maybe... But not major retailers.

CEX opening up at 1pm was an empty gesture.

Like I said, if you're going to pay your respects, at least do it properly.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Beautiful pictures Dr.Morris79
Thanks Slaylock, it was the strangest day. We'd got to Liverpool street train station and London was practically empty during our walk to Hyde park which took around forty minutes then all of a sudden it was purely heaving with people, it was so odd..

Even weirder is the fact we'll never have another Queen in our lifetime, well, apart from Kate but only through William and if he dies it'll go straight to George.

nush

Gold Member
l've always known the image of the older lady throughout my life, she was quite the looker back in her day
Pietro-Annigonis-portrait-009.jpg

Do you remember when all the schools had this portrait hung somewhere in a corridor? I was talking to a guy from Hong Kong and even they had this picture hanging in the schools.

OIF-C.dj6L8joHPqvfgatP2DETsw

"What's happening dudes?"
R-C.5861e40d1d4edcafe839d566ed259c18

Tams

Gold Member
A beautiful and most appropriate ceremony.

The bearers were absolute units. Massive respect there, and the pressure must have been immense, even for trained soldiers. Same for the Royal Navy ratings. It was fantastic to see all the military units out in their finery, especially for me the Gurkhas.

Charles and Anne looked like it was taking its toll on them. They held up extremely well.

Didn't care for the God stuff, but those were her beliefs and she was head of the CoE. Some lovely hymns though.

And the subtle messages sent where necessary. All done tastefully, but making it clear what standing people had (for good reasons).

I just wish I could have justified flying home to participate in person.

Raven117

Gold Member
A beautiful and most appropriate ceremony.

The bearers were absolute units. Massive respect there, and the pressure must have been immense, even for trained soldiers. Same for the Royal Navy ratings. It was fantastic to see all the military units out in their finery, especially for me the Gurkhas.

Charles and Anne looked like it was taking its toll on them. They held up extremely well.

Didn't care for the God stuff, but those were her beliefs and she was head of the CoE. Some lovely hymns though.

And the subtle messages sent where necessary. All done tastefully, but making it clear what standing people had (for good reasons).

I just wish I could have justified flying home to participate in person.
You from Nepal?

But yeah, had it on at my office. A perfectly done tasteful ceremony. That choir was angelic.

Go_Ly_Dow

Douglas Murray: Why don't Americans understand Britain's monarchy? | SpectatorTV - 12:15mins​

Speaking out against the American media and rightly so. Disgraceful coverage.

Also very informative and how a constitutional monarcy protects us from the pitfalls of the American system.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Douglas Murray: Why don't Americans understand Britain's monarchy? | SpectatorTV - 12:15mins​

Speaking out against the American media and rightly so. Disgraceful coverage.

Also very informative and how a constitutional monarcy protects us from the pitfalls of the American system.

It provides a dad and mom figure and a figure to look up towards for stability when political spectrum fails completely or is unstable. It basically a semi religion and that's also why religion is heavily focused into the monarchy as they are going hand to hand together.

This is a good picture that explains practically what the monarchy provides what was posted before.

B0GEW7V.jpg

For the business world its also interesting as the queen/king can easily open doors and do many times that normally for a president are shut down that country's or even rules don't like or are against, kings and queens are lose from this and always more neutral as result which is great for trade and business. This is why in the netherlands u see often visits of the royals go hand in hand with a airplane full of business people right behind them.

In general it also creates a identity as the royals can place the standard for there people to follow. U have often talks in times where populisme starts to get the front with a king that everybody needs to chill down and respect eachother. Something politics can't do.

All with all i would say, its a net value for a country, even while i prefer to have them gone for the simple reason it shouldn't exist in the current age anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom