• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question about PS5, game sharing and PS+ Collection

Stafford

So I intend to buy a PS5 this or next year, I kinda want to wait and see if a smaller version arrives or if they go for a mid gen refresh. I just don't want that oversized router here, besides I'm busy enough as it is with Xbox stuff.

My brother has a PS5, I believe he has Plus too, he also claimed all the games from that collection that soon will be leaving. First question is, this is not something I can claim without a PS5, right? It's not like I can make a Sony account and then claim them for usage later?

I intend to use game sharing with my brother, just like we share Game Pass Ultimate (and bought games), does this work for PS5 too? Do I need Plus, or can I just play the games my brother claimed via sharing once I get a PS5?

Also, a friend says he thought he read Sony had warned that sharing those PS+ Collection games would be reason for them to ban you. Is this true at all?

I plan to get FF7R and FF16 and more, but having those free games would be awesome too.

The Shepard

Make an account and use it on he's console to claim all the games. No they don't ban you, unless you did it loads of times, like a stupid amount.

Account sharing is same as on xbox.

Last edited:
Dunno about sharing owned games, as I'm still using physical media with Sony consoles. As far as PS+ subs, it probably works just like Game Pass does.

What do you mean by sharing digital games? Like logging into each other's accounts on your respective PS5s?

And, yes, the PS+ Collection is leaving soon. You need to log into your account on a PS5 to flag them.

I'm guessing most will be added to PS+ Extra at some point.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
What do you mean by sharing digital games? Like logging into each other's accounts on your respective PS5s?

And, yes, the PS+ Collection is leaving soon. You need to log into your account on a PS5 to flag them.

I'm guessing most will be added to PS+ Extra at some point.
Yes you just need to set your account as primary on someone else console and vice versa (and allow other accounts to play them)then you can play his games on your console and on your account and he can play yours on his.

Stafford

Make an account and use it on he's console to claim all the games. No they don't ban you, unless you did it loads of times, like a stupid amount.

Account sharing is same as on xbox.

So when I make an account I probably will need to buy + for a month (or a few days, whatever is available) and then claim the games?

What did you mean with "unless you did it loads of times."? Because once you use account sharing you can just access each other's games, right? Including the + Collection games? Or can Sony actually see that the other account is starting a game that was part of the collection?

Tommi84

So when I make an account I probably will need to buy + for a month (or a few days, whatever is available) and then claim the games?
Correct, once your sub lapse you will not be play these games until you sub again and then they should show up again

What did you mean with "unless you did it loads of times."? B
It's about redeeming the PSplus collection, not actually playing the games. If you claim it for a high number of accounts (like 20+ different accounts) on a single console this may result in a ban. I did it for three accounts and had zero issues and had never heard of any issues if you do it for one account more than your regular

Tsaki

You can claim the catalog games only through a PS5. No, they won't ban you. Unless like ten other people used the same PS5 for this reason. These games will leave the service in the near future so do it as soon as possible.
You can make your PS5 the primary console of your brother's account. Then any other account in your PS5 will have access to the whole library of your brother's account and can all be playable offline. When using your PS5 you don't need PS+ in your account to play the PS+ games that your brother claimed. Though this does mean that your brother can't play his digital games offline when he is using his PS5. He will have to be connected to the internet and if the connection drops for whatever reason, the games will lock after 5 minutes, until connection to PSN is established again.

Duchess

So, hold up... My brother and I both have PS5s. Does that mean we can share digital purchases if we log onto each other's machines?

Edit: reading through the posts again, it sounds like we'd need to set our accounts as the primary on the other's console..? So, my machine would have his account as the primary, and his machine would have mine as the primary..? That doesn't sound quite right?

Last edited:
So, hold up... My brother and I both have PS5s. Does that mean we can share digital purchases if we log onto each other's machines?

Edit: reading through the posts again, it sounds like we'd need to set our accounts as the primary on the other's console..? So, my machine would have his account as the primary, and his machine would have mine as the primary..? That doesn't sound quite right?
No, that is exactly it. Anyone on the primary user console can use the primary user games, so if you are using each others primary console you get your games AND their games. The downside is you need to be online to play your own games, but their games will be accessible offline.

Stafford

Correct, once your sub lapse you will not be play these games until you sub again and then they should show up again

It's about redeeming the PSplus collection, not actually playing the games. If you claim it for a high number of accounts (like 20+ different accounts) on a single console this may result in a ban. I did it for three accounts and had zero issues and had never heard of any issues if you do it for one account more than your regular

You can claim the catalog games only through a PS5. No, they won't ban you. Unless like ten other people used the same PS5 for this reason. These games will leave the service in the near future so do it as soon as possible.
You can make your PS5 the primary console of your brother's account. Then any other account in your PS5 will have access to the whole library of your brother's account and can all be playable offline. When using your PS5 you don't need PS+ in your account to play the PS+ games that your brother claimed. Though this does mean that your brother can't play his digital games offline when he is using his PS5. He will have to be connected to the internet and if the connection drops for whatever reason, the games will lock after 5 minutes, until connection to PSN is established again.

Perfect. This is exactly what I wanted to know. It's exactly like Xbox then yeah. Even the subscription is shared, that's sweet. So, since my brother claimed these PS+ Collection games already, they should work for me via sharing once I get the PS5, correct? Then I don't even need to set up an account on his PS5 myself before the collection leaves. That's correct, right?

The Shepard

What did you mean with "unless you did it loads of times."? Because once you use account sharing you can just access each other's games, right? Including the + Collection games? Or can Sony actually see that the other account is starting a game that was part of the collection?

Think you can get a free trial of ps plus, but you'll need ps plus to play them games on your account after you've claimed them. You can account share the ps collection if the other person has them on there account so you dont have to claim them to play them but if you want them tied your account forever you'll have to claim them.

Unless you did it loads of times is referering to abusing the ps plus collection, like doing it 20 times.

You can account share any games that are playable on either account on both accounts, exactly like on xbox, but you can change your main console more then on xbox, used to be every 24 hours but unsure if that's still the case.

Tsaki

Perfect. This is exactly what I wanted to know. It's exactly like Xbox then yeah. Even the subscription is shared, that's sweet. So, since my brother claimed these PS+ Collection games already, they should work for me via sharing once I get the PS5, correct? Then I don't even need to set up an account on his PS5 myself before the collection leaves. That's correct, right?
Yes, but if you have a PS5 available to you I'd recommend to at least get one month of PS+ and redeem the games anyway.

Top Bottom