• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question for net savvy Gaf

BreakOut

I’m trying to set up my router, I had a bunch of issues with it everything got deleted including my configuration file. It looks like the firmware updated so I don’t know why it would delete everything but I did.

So my question is, one of the new things I see is called mocha privacy. It talks about encrypting and all that, I am an extremely pro security person. Like every feature I could possibly have I want. But I don’t understand this feature, if I enable this what exactly happens?
I see that it says I can set a pin, is the setting something I should enable for security? Is it only confusing because I don’t know what it is or is it actually something I should leave off? I actually use MAC address filtering that’s how paranoid I am. I’ve been hacked in the past, I’ve even shared about it on this forum.

If anyone could tell me anything, or help me understand that setting I would really appreciate it. It says privacy so I think I want it, I just don’t know what that really means. I know some things are a little bit misleading and I don’t want to set something up that I can’t manage.

Thanks Gaf

Mistake

For those not familiar with MoCA

From my understanding, it creates a network over coax instead of ethernet. If your house is not wired for ethernet, this can help. But as for security, it will probably only benefit if you worry about people splicing cables or if they have physical access to your network

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
never heard of it. i assume it's an american thing. from reading the link posted above i'd say you could just leave it disabled but again i don't know wtf it is.

the bigger issue is that your router updated itself and deleted everything. are you using an ISP provided router? if so get rid of it or put it in modem mode and buy your own router. i run an AX86U with merlin.

Last edited:

BreakOut

never heard of it. i assume it's an american thing. from reading the link posted above i'd say you could just leave it disabled but again i don't know wtf it is.

the bigger issue is that your router updated itself and deleted everything. are you using an ISP provided router? if so get rid of it or put it in modem mode and buy your own router. i run an AX86U with merlin.
Yes, I am using the provided one. I was thinking about getting my own, what happened today has pretty much cemented doing just that. I’m also debating on getting a new provider. This is one of the bigger providers, but their customer service is terrible and so I can’t even reach out to them without setting aside for several hours for a phone call. And they want to charge me just to come out. They say if it’s on their side once they come out they won’t charge me, but who’s side is on is totally up for debate. And at the end the day I already know they will say it’s on me.

I really appreciate it you guys, it’s been such an infuriating day. I think I am going to look at getting a router, one with much simpler settings and a lot more control. Having to re-implement everything was a nightmare. I have the configuration file saved but I don’t know what happened to it. So that really screwed me over in the end.
Any recommendations for secure routers, I do a lot of gaming obviously and my family watches TV, we have a lot of devices. Pretty much every single one is Wi-Fi.

Top Bottom