• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question. I randomly got a work from home job "offer" and question its validity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my resume on a few different job sites such as LinkedIn, GlassDoor, and some local city job sites. I randomly got this e-mail a few days ago:

Dear Candidate,

AUO CORP is NOW recruiting experienced and skilled candidates; we have seen your profession details posted on www.jobcenterofwisconsin.com which has been shortlisted and recommended to our Human Resources/Recruitment Department

Interview date and time:October 14th 2017, at 9 AM

Working hours are from 8 AM - 4 PM, Monday - Friday (could be flexible). The starting pay is $25.75/hr for these positions, we offer both full-time/ part-time positions.

If you are employed, you are going to be working as a full employee and not an independent contractor. Benefits: Health, dental, life and AD&D insurance, Employee wellness and 401k plans. Paid time off and holidays with generous company discounts.

Below are the current and available positions where candidates are needed:-

Phone Representative, Data Entry, Office Clerk , Administrative Assistant, Receptionist, Sales Associate, Front Desk Clerk, Customer service/Call Centre Representative.

Please contact Mr. [Name] ; one of the Hiring Managers via Google Hangouts His email address is: .

If you already have an existing Gmail account, you may proceed with it as well.

Your verification code is ( AUO - [Number]), this would serve as your identification number throughout the online hiring process. This is your first step to proceed further; we expect to hear back from you as soon as possible. If you have any problem, please feel free to email back.

Good luck! As you take a step to the right path in building your career.

Yours sincerely,

[Name]

Human Resource Department

AUO CORP[/QUOTE]

Aside from the obvious grammar errors, It's not a position I applied for. I was online at around 3am the night before, and I sent them an e-mail about it being a scam and they wanted to interview me via Google Hangouts right then and there. I "passed" the interview after a few minutes waiting for them to speak to their hiring manager.

Here's their company information after I told them I couldn't find them on Google:
[QUOTE]About AUO

AU Optronics
Global Leader in Optoelectronic Solutions
AU Optronics Corporation (AUO) was formed in September 2001 by the merger of Acer Display Technology, Inc. (the former of AUO, established in 1996) and Unipac Optoelectronics Corporation. In October 2006, AUO acquired Quanta Display Inc.

AUO is a global leader in optoelectronic solutions as well as the first pure TFT-LCD manufacturer to have been successfully listed at the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE).

AUO generated NT$329 billion in sales revenue in 2016 (US$10.2 billion) and now houses a staff of more than 43,000 throughout its global operations spreading across Taiwan, Mainland China, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, the United States, and Europe.

Boosting Value through the Interdisciplinary Application of Display Technologies
AUO’s complete line-up of Gen 3.5 to 8.5 production lines provides 1.2 to 85-inch panels for all types of display applications. AUO strives to be a provider of total solutions through its comprehensive portfolio of display technologies and diversified product combinations. We provide software and hardware system integration, customized products with high diversity and small quantities, stable and reliable quality, and smart services to create even greater value with our customers.

AUO boasts a strong R&D capability and large patent portfolio. Up to 23,400 patent applications have been filed by AUO as of July 2017 with more than 17,400 global patents approved to date.

High Efficiency Highly Integrated Solar Power Solutions for Green Sustainability
AUO formally entered the green energy industry in 2008. We make efforts in providing high reliability and premium quality solar solutions, including high-efficiency solar modules, all-round solar power plant service, and highly integrated service platform concerning energy management. Our extensive experience with the planning and construction of power plants means that AUO can provide the all-round of power plant construction and operation services.

Embracing Sustainable Development for Business Excellence
Sustainable development is the goal of AUO. We embrace the highest standards in corporate governance, environmental sustainability, and social concern. The “AUO CSR Committee” was established in 2014 to implement the macro vision of corporate sustainability at every level. For corporate governance, AUO demonstrates its commitment to corporate governance principles by focusing on areas such as employee care, shareholder rights, business transparency, risk management, and timely disclosure. Since 2010, AUO has been named to Dow Jones Sustainability World Index for seven consecutive years. The AUO Green Solutions are realized throughout production processes, factory construction, energy recovery & reuse, and other areas. Taiwan's first locally designed and integrated process water full-recycling system was formally launched at AUO’s Lungtan site in 2015 as well. Social care at AUO includes the leveraging of our expertise in opto-electronics to support general science education, the formation of volunteer clubs at all Taiwan sites to help the disadvantaged, and encouraging employees to donate one day’s salary towards AUO Honest-Intelligent Scholarship. Such initiatives help share our corporate resources with the general public.

JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
compile, sort and verify the accuracy of data before it is entered
Locate and correct data entry errors, or report them to supervisors
Read source documents such as canceled checks, sales report, or bills, and enter data in specific data fields or onto tapes or disks for subsequent data entry using keyboards or scanners compare data with source documents, or re-enter data in verification format to detect errors maintain logs of activities and completed work load machines with required input or output media such as paper, cards, disks, tape or Braille media
Resolve garbled or indecipherable messages, using cryptography procedures and equipment select materials needed to complete work assignments
Store completed documents in appropriate locations
Maintains accurate records of all Receivables and Pay able's, entering data of online sales, purchase, orders, bookings, number of goods sold, numbers remaining, etc, of customers in the US.Responsible for compiling amounts owed from purchase orders, charge slips, sales tickets etc

BRIEFING SUMMARY
You will be enlisted for 2 weeks training program. Find Training program details below:
*You will have to be online from 9am to 12pm daily for training program as you will be given series of tasks during training.
*You will resume work fully after training and your working hours will be 8am - 4pm your time zone.
*Whether or not you have an assignment or task to carry out you will be paid for $25/hr and for 8hrs a day as long as you are online during the stated hours.
*You have to keep strict record of time and activities. A time sheet should be sent in every Friday's days for monitoring (In your own format).
*In carrying out any assignment or task a progress report has to be emailed every Friday to me.
*You are paid weekly.
*There is no start up cost, the training would be administered on line, this is an Internet based position, and the base pay is $20 per hour During training and $25.75 per hour after training.
*Either party is free to terminate at any time with notice.
*At the end of your training, you will receive a 1099 form at the end of the year as you are listed as an Independent contractor.
*Benefits include: 401k, health and dental, paid vacation and 2 weeks sick leave you will be enrolled for this benefits
after 2months after which you would become a regular employee of company.

WORKING EQUIPMENTS
Equipments will be provided for you by the Company asap. This includes a Hp Laptop/Notebook for mobility and some other software for accuracy, Speed of data processing, Time Monitoring and Effectiveness,(4 in one Zebra ZM 400vvBarcode Printer and Cards,Fax Machine,Scanner,Photocopier Machine, 4Drawer Cabinet and Office Desk).
Details on the Uses and delivery of these equipments would be provided to you ASAP.
You would be Given the Following to start work with after training:
* Staff User Name and Password for Our Website Link ( For easy access to company data and task for each day )

Employment Supervisor[/QUOTE]

Now, here's my first task:

[QUOTE]I want you to write an article on the effect of political instability on a growing company..minimum of 2pages[/QUOTE]

...lol...

Rival

Gold Member
Just please provide your bank account and social security number to complete the hiring process.

plus

nigerian-prince.jpg

adj_noun

I want you to write an article on the effect of political instability on a growing company..minimum of 2pages

Pollitical instability is very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very bad for a growing company.

JettDash

They will probably send you a cashier's check to buy equipment for the "job". Then oops, they accidentally gave you too much. So just cash the check and send them back the extra.

Then it turns out the check is fake and you're fucked when your bank realizes.

I entertained one of these scammers before. I looked up their address, and it was a dilapidated building. They hired me without an interview and swiftly emailed me a direct deposit form.

MGrant

Details on the Uses and delivery of these equipments would be provided to you ASAP.

This is where they'll get you. They'll ask you to wire some cash to them as a "loan" for the equipment and then that cash will be gone forever.

Before entertaining any job offers, I make sure to research as much about the hiring company as much as possible. Best to be cautious always.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
No, that's probably not a real job offer. It is probably a scam. That you made this thread points to the fact that you know this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom