• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R-Type Final 2 Phallic DLC Boss Censored on Switch in West, US on PlayStation 4

Mowcno

For context. This game is rated Pegi 7. That's why it is being changed, because Sony/Nintendo in the west don't believe this imagery is appropriate for 7 year olds.

KingT731

behold the penis chariot "Mara" from Persona (yes it has a tongue):

iu
I was coming here to post that exactly 🤣🤣

Kuranghi

This is just another in a long series of attempts to alienate female gamers, won't someone think of the sploosh?

It would be next level rude if you had a boss like this and then it joined up with another ship that was like a big fanny.

Last edited:

Fredrik

This is just another in a long series of attempts to alienate female gamers, won't someone think of the sploosh?

It would be next level rude if you had a boss like this and then it joined up with another ship that was like a big fanny.
It would be pubertal in the most hurr-hurr way possible.
But as I’ve said gaming violence is much much more problematic in gaming today, we’re just all desensitized to violence from seeing it for several decades just getting worse and worse so we barely think about it now.
Problem is, kids play games for older people too just as we did when we were young. I think developers should tone down the gore because it’s really not needed to make a game great. Metroid Dread is wiping the floor with all games I’ve played in decades and there is zero gore, it wouldn’t have been a better game if the EMMI’s chopped Samus head off and ripped her guts out with blood gushing everywhere when they kill her.

Last edited:
Why bother censoring the game for a target audience that almost certainly is not gonna play it, anyway? R-Type is a niche shmup, most of the established fanbase is old enough to not be offended by a phallic object, and shmups have never really managed to expand their audience out of the established niche to this day. Just bump up the age rating, no one is gonna care.

SZips

So weird to change what is essentially a super niche game for a super niche audience that are already probably well acquainted with what a dick looks like anyway.

Also, if this is something that is being done by the developers of the game itself, then fine. That's a creative choice and I have zero issue with that. But if it's being done because of a request by Nintendo or Sony, then like... c'mon. We are so up in arms over sex and nudity here in the West but excessive gore is totally a-ok. It's so ass backwards.

Holammer

Oh my god, I always thought this as a heart. I can't unsee it now...
In the R-type Dimensions remake they clearly knew what the original intent or vision was, so it looks like they added the "little man on the boat" in the bottom row.
Will they censor the old PS3 & 360 versions too?

521358-R-type-dimensions-switch.jpg

Fake news, Sony and Nintendo didn't censor it and have nothing to do with that. They, like Xbox or Steam are required that games under a certain official age rating must stick to it.

It's NIS fault for hiding that they were going to include penis shaped enemies in their original ESRB rating to get a lower one.

DLC for the versions who got a physical version in USA (in this case PS4 + Switch) are under this ESRB age rating, so must stick to it and can't include stuff from higher age ratings. Versions that didn't get a physical version (in this case Xbox + PC) aren't attached to ESRB rating so they can include whatever they want there.

Same happens when releasing games in Japan. Those versions that get released on physical must pass the age rating of that country, so some companies sometimes censor them to pass it and get a lower age rating so they can sell the game to more people in more places. The versions that don't get released in physical can skip that.

Again, fake news. There is no anime-styled sexual content in PS4. There is no PS4 specific censorship anywhere in the world. In Japan happens the same than in USA or in the other countries with physical version game age rating systems: when a game is released, the platforms that get a physical version need to pass these (not Sony specific, are the same for all platforms) age ratings and publishers prefer to get a lower one to get their games accepted by more people, while platforms that don't get a physical version don't need to pass it.

When only the PS4 gets censored it's because it's the only platform that gets a physical version. When this happens sometimes publishers decide to censor it additional countries or platforms to avoid the extra work of making multiple versions of the game, but in basically all cases the only versions are the platform released on retail in these countries. Since PS4 is the platform where more games are sold, there are more games that only get physical version on PS4, so this is why there are more games only get censored (by the publishers, not by Sony) there.

There are many games with nudity and sexual content on PS4, in USA, Japan EU, etc. The ones their publisher decided to apply the proper age rating or released it only digitally.
yeah but all those words don't let me screech at the top of my lungs about jim ryan so im going to choose to ignore them

I'm not surprised by Sony. Didn't expect to see Nintendo remove it too.

At least it's not a male genitalia.
Those wacky ass ResetEra people.
Orginal R-Type had a few suggestive bits. Like the Giant Warship with the purple penis and this thing... How many vaginas can you count?

gLolXDb.jpg
I played this game a lot and never noticed. I now know why people say there are things you can't unsee.

R-Type Final 2 got rated in ESRB as 10+, which means they can't include penis shaped stuff in the platforms where the game is covered
I knew what a penis looked like at a pretty young age, most because I have one and young boys tend to want to know who pees further than the others.

Next all rockets will be cut out too:
Sad Amazon GIF by PEEKASSO

coffinbirth

Fake news, Sony and Nintendo didn't censor it and have nothing to do with that. They, like Xbox or Steam are required that games under a certain official age rating must stick to it.

It's NIS fault for hiding that they were going to include penis shaped enemies in their original ESRB rating to get a lower one.

DLC for the versions who got a physical version in USA (in this case PS4 + Switch) are under this ESRB age rating, so must stick to it and can't include stuff from higher age ratings. Versions that didn't get a physical version (in this case Xbox + PC) aren't attached to ESRB rating so they can include whatever they want there.

Same happens when releasing games in Japan. Those versions that get released on physical must pass the age rating of that country, so some companies sometimes censor them to pass it and get a lower age rating so they can sell the game to more people in more places. The versions that don't get released in physical can skip that.

Again, fake news. There is no anime-styled sexual content in PS4. There is no PS4 specific censorship anywhere in the world. In Japan happens the same than in USA or in the other countries with physical version game age rating systems: when a game is released, the platforms that get a physical version need to pass these (not Sony specific, are the same for all platforms) age ratings and publishers prefer to get a lower one to get their games accepted by more people, while platforms that don't get a physical version don't need to pass it.

When only the PS4 gets censored it's because it's the only platform that gets a physical version. When this happens sometimes publishers decide to censor it additional countries or platforms to avoid the extra work of making multiple versions of the game, but in basically all cases the only versions are the platform released on retail in these countries. Since PS4 is the platform where more games are sold, there are more games that only get physical version on PS4, so this is why there are more games only get censored (by the publishers, not by Sony) there.

There are many games with nudity and sexual content on PS4, in USA, Japan EU, etc. The ones their publisher decided to apply the proper age rating or released it only digitally.
Sweet, sweet irony.
Nearly everything you said here is wrong, actually.

I'm not going to argue the Sony censorship thing as that has been done numerous times here and proven to be true, just fucking Google it.

Also, your physical release theory is fiction as well, according to my physical copy of R-Type Final 2 for Xbox One...

200w.gif

yurinka

Sweet, sweet irony.
Nearly everything you said here is wrong, actually.

I'm not going to argue the Sony censorship thing as that has been done numerous times here and proven to be true, just fucking Google it.

Also, your physical release theory is fiction as well, according to my physical copy of R-Type Final 2 for Xbox One...

200w.gif
Sony censorship doesn't exist, it's fake news shared by fanboys and uneducated people who don't know how country/region specific age ratings or country specific governernment approval/censorship works in the different countries and that is applied to all platforms in the same way.

And as I said, in some countries/age rating systems only needs to be followed by retail copies, and in the case of Sony and Nintendo when you release a DLC it must stick to ESRB rating of the game. In this case, NIS America rated it as 10+ and the DLC content should be 17+, so instead of paying ESRB again for the DLC or to have filled it as 17+ since the start, they prefered to censor it in platforms where they are required to follow it.

If Sony or Nintendo would censor penis shaped stuff they would have censored cases like the mentioned Persona 5 Strikers. But it was properly rated as ESRB 17+, so Sony and Nintendo are ok to publish it.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Sony censorship doesn't exist, it's fake news shared by fanboys and uneducated people who don't know how country/region specific age ratings or country specific governernment approval/censorship works in the different countries and that is applied to all platforms in the same way.

And as I said, in some countries/age rating systems only needs to be followed by retail copies, and in the case of Sony and Nintendo when you release a DLC it must stick to ESRB rating of the game. In this case, NIS America rated it as 10+ and the DLC content should be 17+, so instead of paying ESRB again for the DLC or to have filled it as 17+ since the start, they prefered to censor it in platforms where they are required to follow it.
You could've just done some research, but instead you chose to double down on being wrong.
Ignored.

MayauMiao

Its 2021, penis can be view by a simple by a web search, your typical R-Type gamers likely to have a penis or what it looks like, and penis is a biological part of the human body unless of course you are a female.

Not sure why censorship is getting worse in the US.

Miles708

One of the few posts in the thread that make sense.
They can't add things higher than the rating they want on the cover, or the rating itself would have no purpose. Simple as that.

I'm against censorship but this is a hideous hentai weirdo design so if you give me the option I'd take the version for 7 year olds.

carlosrox

Banned
One of the first enemies in Metroid Dread is pretty damn phallic looking.

Not to mention that penis monster from Persona.

What?!

Last edited:

Maestr0

Wait, does a DLC rated higher in ESBR, PEGI or CERO means that you have to change the base rating game even without the DLC ? Or can they be separated ?

Rtype and many other old school japanese shooters have always been inspired by alien /geiger stuff but then put very japanese touches on the artwork that made it distinct...mainly insane line detail/greebles...and slicker designs.

Here it is from the old rtype art book

its a shlong

GppQcFZ.png

Wait, does a DLC rated higher in ESBR, PEGI or CERO means that you have to change the base rating game even without the DLC ? Or can they be separated ?
"Downloadable content (DLC) often refers to additional content that supplements or extends a previously-rated product. In most cases, the rating assigned to a game also applies to its DLC. However, if the DLC content exceeds the rating assigned to the “core” product, it must be submitted, and a different rating may be assigned to the DLC.

Should the ESRB find DLC or other update that is incompatible with the original rating, the developer and appropriate digital storefronts will be notified of a change to the rating for the DLC or, in the case where the update is required, a rating change for the core product."

Couldn't find PEGI's DLC info.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Recently ordered this for Switch. An seeing I couldn't find an OT I'll ask my question here....

Any tips for beginners? Game speed, weapon types etc... Just a general way of approaching for a beginner.
Maybe there's nothing to be said of maybe there is, so....

Thanks in advance

coffinbirth

Recently ordered this for Switch. An seeing I couldn't find an OT I'll ask my question here....

Any tips for beginners? Game speed, weapon types etc... Just a general way of approaching for a beginner.
Maybe there's nothing to be said of maybe there is, so....

Thanks in advance
Have you played an R-Type before? If so, you should feel pretty at home here.
Regardless, this is probably what you are seeking.
http://sectoromega.blogspot.com/2021/04/guia-rapida-r-type-final-2.html
Use a browser that will translate, and you should have a pretty good idea of what is up.

Edit-
Just noticed your avatar, blast from the past there. My dad had the Quadrophonic 8-track of that album with that OG artwork.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Have you played an R-Type before? If so, you should feel pretty at home here.
Regardless, this is probably what you are seeking.
http://sectoromega.blogspot.com/2021/04/guia-rapida-r-type-final-2.html
Use a browser that will translate, and you should have a pretty good idea of what is up.

Edit-
Just noticed your avatar, blast from the past there. My dad had the Quadrophonic 8-track of that album with that OG artwork.

Your dad has good taste!!!!!

Edit: I think my parents got the LP with that cover art and when I bought the CD it had the 2 man in flames shaking hands..

Sometime long ago. It's about pattern recognition and using movement and the right weapons per scenario I think?

Anyways thanks a bunch, will take a look! Thanks man!!!

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Your dad has good taste!!!!!

Sometime long ago. It's about pattern recognition and using movement and the right weapons per scenario I think?

Anyways thanks a bunch, will take a look! Thanks man!!!
Indeed he did. Honestly, a real shame quadrophonic sound isn't really a thing anymore. Dark Side of the Moon was also amazing hearing in that manner as well, and to me sounded better than the eventual 5.1 mix....but that's a whole thing I won't get into, haha.

Yeah, R-Type certainly adds a bit more strategy to the typical shmup. Your most valuable asset will be simply memorizing the levels just like the good old days.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Have to clean and set up my Switch so I randomly decided to play the RTypeFinal2 demo on SS on practice mode to get used to its rules and mechanics.

Rapid fire rules but you can't charge right ?

Adding or ditching subweapons are confusing.

Need to learn the ships hitbox.

LOVED IT

Top Bottom