• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R-Type Final 2 Phallic DLC Boss Censored on Switch in West, US on PlayStation 4

Bullet Club

R-Type Final 2 Phallic DLC Boss Censored on Switch in West, US on PlayStation 4

LjBp9lb.jpg

NIS America have announced they had to censor a DLC boss in R-Type Final 2 in the west on Nintendo Switch, and US on PlayStation 4; citing “store policies.”

As spotted by Censored Gaming, NIS America announced the change along side the release of the Stage Pass Volume 2 DLC. Among the seven new stages, the final boss of Stage Y1.0 in DLC 4 has been modified for western release on some platforms.

“Please note that due to differing storefront policies in North America, the final boss within Stage Y1.0 in DLC Set 4 will differ slightly from the original Japanese release.” The game will remain uncensored on PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and PlayStation 4 in the EU. It will be censored on PlayStation 4 in the US, and in the US and EU on Nintendo Switch.

So, what is it about this boss that has gotten everyone so hot and bothered? Check out the video below via Falco Lau, or even just look at the thumbnail.

For those who did not play the video, the boss appears to have a large fleshy shaft that ends in a throbbing pink tip. This shaft flops up and down, and other videos show the tip changes colors as it is damaged, until it is dark red. Based on the gameplay, it’s likely those playing early in the morning would need intense concentration; needing to use both hands to avoid flying balls and beating it down until it goes limp.

Some may be surprised Nintendo and Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) are being so rigid however, considering other games available on Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4.

The infamous Persona demon Mara appears in Persona 5 Strikers for example- which is on both aforementioned consoles along with Windows PC (via Steam). The creature has a phallic head, while the rest of its body is a shaft with tentacles sprouting from it- riding a golden chariot.

While Persona 5 Strikers is rated Mature 17+ by the ESRB (for Blood, Partial Nudity, Sexual Themes, Strong Language, and Violence), R-Type Final 2 is rated Everyone 10+ (Animated Blood, Fantasy Violence). While it could be both Nintendo and SIE fear the DLC will change the game’s rating, it has not yet been changed.

The “storefront policies” do not seem to apply to Xbox, suggesting these are purely the policies of Nintendo and SIE. The latter has been known to censor sexual content in games, usually games with an anime art style.

In late December 2018, SIE Japan Asia President Atsushi Morita stated the then recent spate of censorship of anime-styled sexual content on PlayStation 4 games had been “to meet global standards.” This censorship was seemingly forced in Japan; and led to Japanese developers to release on other platforms, or create different versions for PlayStation consoles.

R-Type Final 2 is available now on Windows PC (via the Epic Games Store, Steam, and GOG), Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S.

Source: Niche Gamer

ffTmmAs.gif

Fredrik

It’s because of the age recommendation, 10+.
But a kid at 10 would never get nightmares from this, probably wouldn’t even realize what it was. Gaming violence is a thousand times worse because kids aren’t following the age recommendations and the violence today is brutal, frequent, painful and detailed.

Impotaku

Considering i found the game a chore to play i don't think i'll be worrying about dlc i was more than done with the main game. Plenty of way better shmups to spend my time on.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What was the space cock replaced with? I don’t want to read the full article.
It doesn't say, the dev announced it will be different is all. Hopefully they do a good job that doesn't alter its gameplay/signs? I think just replacing the cock head with some robotic alien dragon head so that it still makes sense it flaps it around in attacks would work? Or a drill? Whatever.

Last edited:

cragarmi

It doesn't say, the dev announced it will be different is all. Hopefully they do a good job that doesn't alter its gameplay/signs? I think just replacing the cock head with some robotic alien dragon head so that it still makes sense it flaps it around in attacks would work? Or a drill? Whatever.
Or just make the head a different colour?

Great Hair

Banned
A stupid decision to censor it, but also a stupid design to begin with. Could the creator have done a better job? Haven´t played r-type in ages, but they all had much better designed boss encounters.

Here the profile picture of the creator behind that strange looking tortoise ...
iu

yurinka

NIS America have announced they had to censor a DLC boss in R-Type Final 2 in the west on Nintendo Switch, and US on PlayStation 4; citing “store policies.”

As spotted by Censored Gaming, NIS America announced the change along side the release of the Stage Pass Volume 2 DLC. Among the seven new stages, the final boss of Stage Y1.0 in DLC 4 has been modified for western release on some platforms.

“Please note that due to differing storefront policies in North America, the final boss within Stage Y1.0 in DLC Set 4 will differ slightly from the original Japanese release.” The game will remain uncensored on PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and PlayStation 4 in the EU. It will be censored on PlayStation 4 in the US, and in the US and EU on Nintendo Switch.

So, what is it about this boss that has gotten everyone so hot and bothered? Check out the video below via Falco Lau, or even just look at the thumbnail.

For those who did not play the video, the boss appears to have a large fleshy shaft that ends in a throbbing pink tip. This shaft flops up and down, and other videos show the tip changes colors as it is damaged, until it is dark red. Based on the gameplay, it’s likely those playing early in the morning would need intense concentration; needing to use both hands to avoid flying balls and beating it down until it goes limp.

Some may be surprised Nintendo and Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) are being so rigid however, considering other games available on Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4.

The infamous Persona demon Mara appears in Persona 5 Strikers for example- which is on both aforementioned consoles along with Windows PC (via Steam). The creature has a phallic head, while the rest of its body is a shaft with tentacles sprouting from it- riding a golden chariot.

While Persona 5 Strikers is rated Mature 17+ by the ESRB (for Blood, Partial Nudity, Sexual Themes, Strong Language, and Violence), R-Type Final 2 is rated Everyone 10+ (Animated Blood, Fantasy Violence). While it could be both Nintendo and SIE fear the DLC will change the game’s rating, it has not yet been changed.

The “storefront policies” do not seem to apply to Xbox, suggesting these are purely the policies of Nintendo and SIE. The latter has been known to censor sexual content in games, usually games with an anime art style.

Fake news, Sony and Nintendo didn't censor it and have nothing to do with that. They, like Xbox or Steam are required that games under a certain official age rating must stick to it.

It's NIS fault for hiding that they were going to include penis shaped enemies in their original ESRB rating to get a lower one.

DLC for the versions who got a physical version in USA (in this case PS4 + Switch) are under this ESRB age rating, so must stick to it and can't include stuff from higher age ratings. Versions that didn't get a physical version (in this case Xbox + PC) aren't attached to ESRB rating so they can include whatever they want there.

Same happens when releasing games in Japan. Those versions that get released on physical must pass the age rating of that country, so some companies sometimes censor them to pass it and get a lower age rating so they can sell the game to more people in more places. The versions that don't get released in physical can skip that.

In late December 2018, SIE Japan Asia President Atsushi Morita stated the then recent spate of censorship of anime-styled sexual content on PlayStation 4 games had been “to meet global standards.” This censorship was seemingly forced in Japan; and led to Japanese developers to release on other platforms, or create different versions for PlayStation consoles.
Again, fake news. There is no anime-styled sexual content in PS4. There is no PS4 specific censorship anywhere in the world. In Japan happens the same than in USA or in the other countries with physical version game age rating systems: when a game is released, the platforms that get a physical version need to pass these (not Sony specific, are the same for all platforms) age ratings and publishers prefer to get a lower one to get their games accepted by more people, while platforms that don't get a physical version don't need to pass it.

When only the PS4 gets censored it's because it's the only platform that gets a physical version. When this happens sometimes publishers decide to censor it additional countries or platforms to avoid the extra work of making multiple versions of the game, but in basically all cases the only versions are the platform released on retail in these countries. Since PS4 is the platform where more games are sold, there are more games that only get physical version on PS4, so this is why there are more games only get censored (by the publishers, not by Sony) there.

There are many games with nudity and sexual content on PS4, in USA, Japan EU, etc. The ones their publisher decided to apply the proper age rating or released it only digitally.

Last edited:

Vandole

Yeah, this is one of those moments in life where I'm just going to shake my head at all parties involved and laugh.

Also, I just wanted to say how much I appreciate it viewing this thread on a mobile device. The "click to expand" button in order to look at a picture of a space dick has made me chuckle for about 5 minutes now.

yurinka

behold the penis chariot "Mara" from Persona (yes it has a tongue):

iu
Persona 5 Strikers was properly rated in ESRB as Mature 17+, which means they can include penis shaped stuff. R-Type Final 2 got rated in ESRB as 10+, which means they can't include penis shaped stuff in the platforms where the game is covered by ESRB because they got a physical version.

Sony, Nintendo and ESRB aren't censoring the game. It's NIS America decision not rating their game properly and instead to censor it to get a lower ESRB so to be able to sell it in more retailers and to more people. Platforms where the game wasn't released on physical and where only got a digital version (in this case Xbox & PC) don't need to stick to ESRB so aren't affected by this.

NIS America censored the game and got that rating because they wanted to do so. Sony, Nintendo and ESRB didn't censor anything. There are tons of games with penish shaped stuff on games published in USA for PS and Nintendo and covered by ESRB, and this Persona 5 Strikers is a great example.

Orginal R-Type had a few suggestive bits. Like the Giant Warship with the purple penis and this thing... How many vaginas can you count?

gLolXDb.jpg
Wtf, I'm 41 years old and played R-Type games since the first one was released. And didn't notice the vaginas until reading your post xDD

Last edited:
Top Bottom