• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racing Jam & Racing Jam Chapter 2; Konami racing hidden gems...but what else you got on racing Gaf?

VGEsoterica

in the 90s basically every developer was trying to get a taste of two huge genres...fighting games and arcade racing games. Some were more successful than others at making legit awesome arcade racing games...and some companies like Konami made amazing racing games that nobody seemed to bother to play and 100% faded into deep obscurity.

Like Racing Jam and Racing Jam chapter 2...two legit arcade racing games with licensed cars, awesome courses and some pretty great drifting mechanics and wild jumps. All the stuff Sega and to a lesser extent Midway would tear the market up with. And for some reason or another the games were not successful, faded from arcade floors and basically remain almost unknown about to this day. For every Daytona that is still beloved and on arcade floors...you have stuff like Racing Jam.

Plus their Thrill Drive series is legit one of the most intense 90s arcade racers ever made and has a decent following in Japan...and totally unknown status outside of Japan weirdly.

Plus good luck finding a PCB. I own one...which STILL wont pass network security checks. Maybe one day I will finally crack the code to fix it.

But curious if anyone on GAF has ever played a Racing Jam or Thrill Drive title? I helped get Thrill Drive 3 booting in PCSX2 on a Python fork earlier this year...so at least you can play that easily now

But GAF...I don't know everything. I want to hear some fun deep cut arcade racing games that need more love. Because every time I post a thread like this I learn something new I didn't know before

Guilty_AI

Distance.

Its a trackmania-like game with tron aesthetics and Rush controls (car can fly, jump and control its orientation mid-air). It also has a really in-depth level creator, meaning we get tons of user-made tracks.
Even now, with the developer having stopped working on it and with like 5 players daily players on steam, game still gets a new user-level basically every day. There are near 4000-5000 thousand user tracks as of now.

It also supports multiplayer, split-screen and VR.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Distance.

Its a trackmania-like game with tron aesthetics and Rush controls (car can fly, jump and control its orientation mid-air). It also has a really in-depth level creator, meaning we get tons of user-made tracks.
Even now, with the developer having stopped working on it and with like 5 players daily players on steam, game still gets a new user-level basically every day. There are near 4000-5000 thousand user tracks as of now.

It also supports multiplayer, split-screen and VR.

new one to me...will have to check it out

Used to play Racing Jam all the time in the arcades early 2000s. I used to like the touge and gymkhana sections in part 1, the drifting phsyics were pretty good for an arcade racer.

Winding Heat had pretty good countersteering physics too

Last edited:
Top Bottom