• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead Appreciation Thread

mango drank

I haven't been a fan of Radiohead in about a decade, and don't really follow them anymore. But I wanted to make this thread to confuse people into thinking it was the Redhead Appreciation Thread, and then clicking on it and expecting hot redheads but instead getting moody alt-rock electronica.

Here's a shot of Thom Yorke as a redhead to kick things off.

brIaZs5.jpg

Amory

Funny, I've been on a radiohead kick for the first time in a long time.

I love pablo honey, the bends, ok computer, and hail to the thief. I like a few songs off of amnesiac and kid a. Havent really listened to their albums beyond those ones.

Hail to the thief is my favorite album of theirs. It's a top to bottom masterpiece

Naibel

My favorite British band by far. Not a single real dud in their discography, even Pablo Honey is pretty alright in my book (Blow Out is such a killer closer). I was more of a OK Computer fan at first but I grew to love KID A, Amnesiac and The Bends a bit more over time. In Rainbows is the perfect mix of old-Head and new-Head and their most "quintessential" record, so fucking perfect...

By the way, IT'S BEEN 5 YEARS since the release of A Moon Shaped Pool, holy shit, time flies real fast man !! And nothing substensial seems to be on the horizon for now :-/ What are they doing ?

I hope they pull off a surprise release like last time, I'm ready for more Oxford goodness !

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Kid A was my first real Radiohead experience and by the time this track came on I knew these guys were something special and I was hooked. still no one quite like them. The shit with the horns blew my mind, it’s so cool

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Kid A was my first real Radiohead experience and by the time this track came on I knew these guys were something special and I was hooked. still no one quite like them. The shit with the horns blew my mind, it’s so cool

Even though I rarely listen to them anymore, which comes from decades of listening to them daily, overexhaustion basically, if the question of what my favorite band is would be asked I would just have to say it's them. Just by sheer hours of listening but more importantly the role this band has played in my life. The latter could very well be the top reason instead of why I find it hard to listen to them nowadays; memories and associations in abundance, most of them in the, let's say, not so nice category. Being a paranoid android myself the bond that I have with Radiohead is such that when it all comes down to it edges out Pink Floyd. Slightly. My favorite album ever has to be Dark side of the moon, so yeah.. But regarding whole discography it's Radiohead by far.

For me.

Btw, my first thread if I would ever make one would've been about this band. Maybe in a couple of years <3

Last edited:

8bitpill

Gold Member
This was the first time I heard and watched them,

Pablo Honey, The Bends, OK Computer and Kid A remind me of my early & late teen years.

I fell off after OK Computer when I started getting into other music. It wasn't until In Rainbows came (a few years after their official release of that album) that I picked them back up.

One song I didn't even know existed till I was in college, and a friend told me about it, was from the Romeo and Juliet soundtrack,

This song became one of my favorites.

Last edited:

Irobot82

Top 5 for favorite album of all time.

Edit: Everything in it's right place is one of my favorite songs. The audio distortions they put into this song reminds me of what I hear on the early part of a DMT trip. It always fills me ease and love. Also the song Kid A. It really hits it.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Huge fan. In Rainbows is my favorite. Seen them live twice and it really was something else

In Rainbows is definitely up there. Once in a while I would try to rank their albums in my head. I find it nearly impossible. The album which had the most impact and is closest to my heart though is Kid A. Even bought the vinyl years ago while having no record player. Just to have the superior version and display purposes I guess..

I've seen them twice as well. Awesome. Although hinking back at those experiences make me cringe more then I would like seeing both times i was rocking out admits a passive audience, at least in my near radius.. I just couldn't help myself haha.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Ok Computer is such a great album. Easily my favorite. I was lucky enough to see them live once and it was incredible.

Rien

Jelly Belly
In Rainbows is definitely up there. Once in a while I would try to rank their albums in my head. I find it nearly impossible. The album which had the most impact and is closest to my heart though is Kid A. Even bought the vinyl years ago while having no record player. Just to have the superior version and display purposes I guess..

I've seen them twice as well. Awesome. Although hinking back at those experiences make me cringe more then I would like seeing both times i was rocking out admits a passive audience, at least in my near radius.. I just couldn't help myself haha.

I know that feeling.. it changes for me as well from time to time but I think In Rainbows is the most consistent album. All songs are fantastic.
Kid A is my second.. How to Disappear Completely is insane.
I remember the first concert I went which was the In Rainbows tour. The weather was beautiful and a bit shimmering since the sun was going down.
They played great and closed with How to Disappear Completely..

Also not much dancers at my times there as well hahah. Although My Iron Lung got people a bit moving

Edit: Their B-sides are great as well. Some stuff is even better then their albums IMO

Last edited:

nkarafo

I would give everything to get my hands on some decent "Paranoid Android" stems/multitracks.

Last edited:

mango drank

I read "radiohead" not "redhead" Came here for radiohead, and I wasn't disappointed.
Blast!!

This is to be a serious thread then? So be it. I loved the Paranoid Android video as a kid. It was always a treat when it came on MTV. Reminded me of the surreal animation MTV used to air back then (Liquid Television etc).

I've also always been a fan of this live performance of There There (first few mins of a longer vid) :

Last edited:

mango drank

Here are snippets of a very early version of the In Rainbows track Nude, which appeared on the '97-'98 tour documentary Meeting People Is Easy, revealing its ancient origins:

I loved their first 3 albums..i think everything after OK Computer became dull and repetitive. ( and not original)

They have an odd song here and there once in awhile..

The bends and Ok Computer are perfection

theres about 5 songs way better then creep on their first album

Pearly may be my favorite radiohead track.. a b side

Saw them during OKC
Saw them again years later at Coachella...it was decent

Gold_Loot

You're not odd though you shiny treasure you. TKoL is MESMERIZING. Such an unique sound, I love it to death. If i remember correctly it released on my birthday. Quite the present!

Hell yes, also this solo performance of Bloom is *chefs kiss*

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah dope stuff. For me the above posted basement version is best, album second and solo last. Basement version just adds that lively flavor y'all.

MrS

Banned
Just wanna pop in and say that the Glasgow Green and LCCC legs of the In Rainbows tour remain some of my fondest gig going experiences. Love this band.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Here are snippets of a very early version of the In Rainbows track Nude, which appeared on the '97-'98 tour documentary Meeting People Is Easy, revealing its ancient origins:

Nude is one of my favorite songs from In Rainbows <3

Also, how do you all like Staircase:

It has a certain SciFi charm to it which love, synths yo

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

That there
That's not me
I go
Where I please
I walk through walls
I float down the Liffey
I'm not here
This isn't happening
I'm not here
I'm not here
In a little while
I'll be gone
The moment's already passed
Yeah it's gone
And I'm not here
This isn't happening
I'm not here
I'm not here
Strobe lights and blown speakers
Fireworks and hurricanes
I'm not here
I'm not here
This isn't happening
I'm not here
I'm not here

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Radiohead Ranked, or "the guy with the In Rainbows avatar tells you how good In Rainbows is"

1. In Rainbows
2. OK Computer
3. Kid A
4. The Bends
5. A Moon Shaped Pool
6. Amnesiac
7. Hail to the Thief
8. The King of Limbs
9. Pablo Honey

Also Weird Fishes is their best song, that's all I really have to say.

jdforge

Banned
Listened to AMSP today and as soon as Daydreaming started I was back at Glastonbury standing in awe of this band.

Korranator

I prefer their 1st 3 albums, the rest were either too slow or experimental. Although, In Rainbows was really good.

TheMan

Used to really like this band and I guess I still do, but I kind of got burned out by listening to them so much

Top Bottom