• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Random Gaming Thoughts

Tschumi

Heyo all,

This is intended to be a 'sister thread' to the Off-Topic thread, I just found myself with a gaming thought that I didn't think needed a new thread to introduce, so I thought I'd make something like this up.

Post little observations about certain games, little revelations about our collective hobby, asides about things you appreciate or question.

I'll kick it off with a little thing I've noticed about the swarms of random-ass review scores all over Steam banners for games...

Some of the outlets whose glowing scores are given to games on these banners strike me as quite obscure... I mean, okay, maybe I'm just uninformed but 'Windows Central' doesn't strike me as a titan of game reviewership.

RPGSite... Hobbyconsolas.com... Everyeye.it... I mean okay, maybe these aren't as obscure as I think - they appear to cater to a.. global player group - but yeah, I see this all the time on steam...

Random indy games with 10/10 scores plastered all over their banners, sourced from sources with names like "New Delhi Electronics Gazette" or whatever lol... Yeah, grinds my gears!

IFPla4J.jpg

Another one, I have only played a bit of it but so far Dishonored: Death of the Outsider isn't as good as dishonoured 2.

Last edited:

Inviusx

When graphics reach the point of true photorealism, how will we handle violence/gore against human characters? Will we just be playing interactive snuff films?

Thinking about replayability, how its often cozier to re experience games already beaten than to learn new games and get stuck in them. This happened with me and a few games I'm going through freshly

Thinking about replayability, how its often cozier to re experience games already beaten than to learn new games and get stuck in them. This happened with me and a few games I'm going through freshly
I'm literally replaying the GTA Trilogy as we speak.

Can very much relate to the feeling. Beat these games several times, and still play through them like it's my first time watching the custscenes. I can't get enough of these games.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
How the fuck are there not more AAA games featuring Dinosaurs.

A Dino Crisis remake would make bank. Why isn't Capcom on this rather remaking RE games over and over.

What about Far Cry. Look me dead in the eyes and tell me you wouldn't get a hard dick over a Far Cry X Jurassic Park/World game? You can't! You know that would be the greatest Far Cry game of all time!

What the fuck is going on with Turok? That IP is gathering dust. Basic remasters of the old games and that's it. I want a full blown remake.

Let me shoot some fucking Dinosaurs!!!

Fare thee well

Neophyte
The amount of game title names that just wash over in my brain. I don't know what it is about naming schemes now, but they don't excite me at all: Returnal, Anthem, Franchise 7 *military term* (Vangaurd), Apex, Fortnite, Elex, Pokemon Brilliant ultra shiny diamond butthole, Weebi no Weebo, Injustice, Halo Infinite, etc. These names just do nothing for me.

I won't even start on how tiresome trailer formulas are now.

Guilty_AI

I'm literally replaying the GTA Trilogy as we speak.

Can very much relate to the feeling. Beat these games several times, and still play through them like it's my first time watching the custscenes. I can't get enough of these games.
Probably because games you've already played through are inside a confort zone.
Its also due to that that so many people like grindy or multiplayer games like RPGs and competitive shooters, they're just playing the same game over and over again after all, though with enough difference to engage them for a long time.

Last edited:

RavageX

I did not buy next Gen systems or upgrade my PC to play games that look like they are from 1985.

I do not care about playing as a famous actor who is playing as a video game character.

Most recent, how can a remaster somehow be less fun to play than the original? (imo)

Probably because games you've already played through are inside a confort zone.
Its also due to that that so many people like grindy or multiplayer games like RPGs and competitive shooters, they're just playing the same game over and over again after all, though with enough difference to engage them for a long time.
This is why I enjoyed Dark Souls. It's basically a loop but I enjoy it so much.

I was always put off by people saying the games were hard but once you figure out patterns and stuff it can be super relaxing just working through mobs.

Jennings

It's been FIFTEEN years since Portal came out, so why haven't we seen any shooters or other type action games that utilize a portal gun of some sort?

I would LOVE to play a game like DOOM Eternal or even Fallout 4 with access to some sort of Portal gun.

Guilty_AI

It's been FIFTEEN years since Portal came out, so why haven't we seen any shooters or other type action games that utilize a portal gun of some sort?

I would LOVE to play a game like DOOM Eternal or even Fallout 4 with access to some sort of Portal gun.
Probably because anything revolving around a Portal gun would just end up feeling like a Portal clone.

Well, theres this:

Jennings

Probably because anything revolving around a Portal gun would just end up feeling like a Portal clone.
I can see your point, but at the same time, that idea didn't stop everybody from copying H1Z1 to the point where Battle Royales are their own massive genre now.

Banned

Darksiders had a portal gun like item. although not nearly as freely usable or anything

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I can see your point, but at the same time, that idea didn't stop everybody from copying H1Z1 to the point where Battle Royales are their own massive genre now.
Well, those just feel like low hanging fruits.
I think games like portal require more finesse, and developers willing to do that kind of work would probably rather make their own thing, kind like The Talos Principle, Antichamber, Superliminal, Manifold Garden, etc.

Last edited:
Why can't I get into Spider-Man 2? I recently played through Batman Arkham Knight and thought, "Hey, maybe it's time to finally give Spider-Man 2 a chance, since I enjoyed superhero Rocksteady-style combat so much!"

But I just don't care about Peter, Miles, Harry, and Mary Jane, and when you're punching people in Spider-man, it feels like punching paper mache. In Batman, I care about Batman's motivations, and the combat feels like punching sandbags.

I feel like there's something I'm not getting out of it that critics and audiences did, what with SM2 sitting at 90% on Metacritic from both.

Guilty_AI

Why can't I get into Spider-Man 2? I recently played through Batman Arkham Knight and thought, "Hey, maybe it's time to finally give Spider-Man 2 a chance, since I enjoyed superhero Rocksteady-style combat so much!"

But I just don't care about Peter, Miles, Harry, and Mary Jane, and when you're punching people in Spider-man, it feels like punching paper mache. In Batman, I care about Batman's motivations, and the combat feels like punching sandbags.

I feel like there's something I'm not getting out of it that critics and audiences did, what with SM2 sitting at 90% on Metacritic from both.
Shitty writing highlighting mechanics that were never that good in the first place.

Top Bottom