• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Random strangers who imprinted you with lifelong quirks.

Tschumi

How i learned to hot water:

I remember being in after school care in primary school in the late 90s, one of the teachers was some random guy (looking back probably a gamer) doing it for a buck, anyway for some reason one day i had a futuristic golf tee of my brother's in my pocket all day - it fell out of my pocket at some point and later i saw it sticking out of this guy's mouth! I said "that's mine!" pointing at it.. he quickly said "oh really? Sorry mate let me clean it off for you!"

So he took it to the kitchen and showed me as he poured it under boiling hot water... He said "there you go, completely sterilised."

And there you have it, from that day to this very day i don't consider anything clean until I've applied heat, preferably steaming heat, to it.

Thank you random gaming slacker dude.

You guys got anything like that story?

no man GIF

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Xmas music as soon as Halloween is over for me and I listen to some songs all year around!

For me, I have to eat my dinner/lunch in a very specific order - protein, carbs, veggies, if I have too little/too much of something I will sit down until I figure out how I have to eat, to keep it balanced and finish in the veggies

Peggies

Gold Member
How i learned to hot water:

I remember being in after school care in primary school in the late 90s, one of the teachers was some random guy (looking back probably a gamer) doing it for a buck, anyway for some reason one day i had a futuristic golf tee of my brother's in my pocket all day - it fell out of my pocket at some point and later i saw it sticking out of this guy's mouth! I said "that's mine!" pointing at it.. he quickly said "oh really? Sorry mate let me clean it off for you!"

So he took it to the kitchen and showed me as he poured it under boiling hot water... He said "there you go, completely sterilised."

And there you have it, from that day to this very day i don't consider anything clean until I've applied heat, preferably steaming heat, to it.

Thank you random gaming slacker dude.

You guys got anything like that story?
Well, that's an odd story OP.
What the heck is a futuristic golf tee (a T-shirt?) and why did some guy put it in his mouth?

On topic: someone once told me that hot water from the tap is full of germs so you shouldn't use it. If you need hot water you have to boil cold water. Don't know if it's true but I sticked to it.

Oh and I have to watch a movie at sharp 20:15 (that's Primetime) when I'm at home or the whole evening is ruined and I become very unhinged.

TDiddyLive

As a smile child my family took a trip to the Santa Monica pier. We went to a local McDonald’s for lunch. My brother only ate his fries and took the burger from his Happy Meal to go. Outside was a homeless asking for money to get food. My brother, trying to be nice, handed the bag with his burger to the guy. The guy took the burger out, threw it on the ground, then yelled, “I asked for fucking money, not a fucking burger!”

From that day I decided I will never give money directly to a homeless person.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
As a smile child my family took a trip to the Santa Monica pier. We went to a local McDonald’s for lunch. My brother only ate his fries and took the burger from his Happy Meal to go. Outside was a homeless asking for money to get food. My brother, trying to be nice, handed the bag with his burger to the guy. The guy took the burger out, threw it on the ground, then yelled, “I asked for fucking money, not a fucking burger!”

From that day I decided I will never give money directly to a homeless person.
This is not an uncommon experience. I've had multiple friends tell me similar stories.

It's probably best to hand homeless people a cheap bottle of vodka and get it over with. :messenger_grinning_smiling:
( jk )

Last edited:

Tschumi

Well, that's an odd story OP.
What the heck is a futuristic golf tee (a T-shirt?) and why did some guy put it in his mouth?

On topic: someone once told me that hot water from the tap is full of germs so you shouldn't use it. If you need hot water you have to boil cold water. Don't know if it's true but I sticked to it.

Oh and I have to watch a movie at sharp 20:15 (that's Primetime) when I'm at home or the whole evening is ruined and I become very unhinged.
valid questions

a futuristic golf tee, well i remember it well, whereas golf tees at the time were usually made from carved bits of wood with a coat of paint on them, this one was actually rubber - it consisted of two bits (an orange stem and black crown), and it had a stylized form. I don't think the style caught on, whatever I was in single digits or early teens and for that day I must have thought it was like having a really small mountain bike in my pocket - or something similarly desired.

I have to say, I can't really say why that dude put it in his mouth, perhaps he thought he looked cool in a cowboy kinda way, chewin' on a stem of grass but it was actually a rubber golf tea. fucked if i know :p

I never drink tap water without boiling it, and if I'm gonna boil it I use cold water. That said, the heat kills germs, which is what I'm trying to do when i apply steaming/boilpoint hot water to an object for a short time. I'm confident it works as intended.

your quirk is pretty quirky

Last edited:

bati

It's probably best to hand homeless people a cheap bottle of vodka and get it over with.

It is, last time I visited my home country I went for a beer run at a local store, there was a hobo chilling outside, asked for money as I went out, I didn't have any cash (where I live I'm paid in different currency, but can still use CC for grocery shopping in other EU countries) so I gave him a can of beer and he straight up said it's better than money.

Peggies

Gold Member
valid questions

a futuristic golf tee, well i remember it well, whereas golf tees at the time were usually made from carved bits of wood with a coat of paint on them, this one was actually rubber - it consisted of two bits (an orange stem and black crown), and it had a stylized form. I don't think the style caught on, whatever I was in single digits or early teens and for that day I must have thought it was like having a really small mountain bike in my pocket - or something similarly desired.

I have to say, I can't really say why that dude put it in his mouth, perhaps he thought he looked cool in a cowboy kinda way, chewin' on a stem of grass but it was actually a rubber golf tea. fucked if i know :p

I never drink tap water without boiling it, and if I'm gonna boil it I use cold water. That said, the heat kills germs, which is what I'm trying to do when i apply steaming/boilpoint hot water to an object for a short time. I'm confident it works as intended.

your quirk is pretty quirky
Ok yesterday someone in this forum yelled at me for not googling a term I didn't quite get. I should have listened to him.
I really thought you were talking about a T-shirt particularly used for playing golf. And I found it really odd to have it in your pocket but even odder to put it in your mouth. Now it makes sense.

As for the water: I luckily live in a part of the world with really good water and in my city we have a high spring water pipe. straight into our homes. So I didn't quite get the concept of boiling water to make it clean - unless you're in the jungle or so. But from now on I'll only use cold water if I want to boil it.

Last edited:

INC

We were leaving a night club, must of been about 5am, we were in an all night McDonald's, and all of sudden a 6ft transvestite comes smashing through the doors, screaming, psychic wolves, die in the streets, the McDonald's security dudes grab this dude, and an all out fight broke out

This random person forever changed my life, it made me realise ill never living in a city.....EVER!

We were leaving a night club, must of been about 5am, we were in an all night McDonald's, and all of sudden a 6ft transvestite comes smashing through the doors, screaming, psychic wolves, die in the streets, the McDonald's security dudes grab this dude, and an all out fight broke out

This random person forever changed my life, it made me realise ill never living in a city.....EVER!
This is the kind of thing that makes me a city boy haha

Cutty Flam

Banned
While my friends and I were at the AMC theater watching The Dark Knight some dude about our age or maybe a few years older was sitting behind us called out in sort of an excited tone at the screen, “Oh shit it’s Half-Face” when he saw Harvey Dent’s burnt off skin while laying in that hospital bed

My friends thought it was funny as fuck and we call Two-Face Half-Face every chance we get now lol

Top Bottom