• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rank the big 3 remakes of 2023: Dead Space, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
For those who've played all 3 of these remakes, I'm curious how you rank them. I know Metroid Prime is more of a remaster than a remake compared to the other two, but whatever, you get the premise.

I think all 3 are amazing games and were really well done. If I were to rank them I'd go

Metroid Prime
Resident Evil 4
Dead Space

But it's really close and I think you can make a fair and strong case for each of them being the best.

SpiceRacz

I'd rank them MP > RE4 > DS

I'd only dabbled in MP before the remaster. It's honestly flawless and might be in my top 10 games of all time after finishing it.

Bragr

Banned
Resident Evil 4 was a strange one for me, while the original was a major evolution of third-person shooters, the remake follows the other two remakes. It feels expected and predictable in a way the original did not. Still great, but this is more of the same. You can say a similar thing about Dead Space. But they are both so well made that you can accept the predictability.

Metroid Prime is still the most unique game of them, and one of the most unique games ever. I would rank them Metroid, Res 4, and then Dead Space.

Comandr

I addressed this in the OP, just roll with it.
I saw that you addressed it but there's till no sense in comparing remakes to a remaster. RE4 and Deadspace are in many ways completely different from their originals and can be judged as remakes, so the question "Which did you like out of these remakes, and why?" is a good question. Asking "Did you like MPR more than the original?" is dumb because MPR is objectively, in every way, superior to its original.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I saw that you addressed it but there's till no sense in comparing remakes to a remaster. RE4 and Deadspace are in many ways completely different from their originals and can be judged as remakes, so the question "Which did you like out of these remakes, and why?" is a good question. Asking "Did you like MPR more than the original?" is dumb because MPR is objectively, in every way, superior to its original.
I'm not asking people to compare the quality of the work done respective to their originals. I'm just asking people to rank games they like best.

Last edited:

Comandr

I'm not asking people to compare the quality of the work done respective to their originals. I'm just asking people to rank games they like best.
I believe those things are intrinsically linked. It would be nearly impossible to fairly judge RE4, Deadspace and MPR without having that judgement influenced by your memories or experience of the original. How you felt about the original will always affect how you feel about the new version. The better question here would be to ask people who have not played the originals, how they feel about these new games. It's a discussion worth having, I think the framing is just flawed.

To expound on this: Certain sections of RE4R were more intense for me because I knew what was coming. In 2005 I quit playing RE4 for months because I could not deal with the regenerators. So when I got to the lab in RE4R, I was filled with dread. I had a rocket launcher waiting for the first guy. My experience was very different from someone who would have no idea what was coming.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I believe those things are intrinsically linked. It would be nearly impossible to fairly judge RE4, Deadspace and MPR without having that judgement influenced by your memories or experience of the original. How you felt about the original will always affect how you feel about the new version. The better question here would be to ask people who have not played the originals, how they feel about these new games. It's a discussion worth having, I think the framing is just flawed.

To expound on this: Certain sections of RE4R were more intense for me because I knew what was coming. In 2005 I quit playing RE4 for months because I could not deal with the regenerators. So when I got to the lab in RE4R, I was filled with dread. I had a rocket launcher waiting for the first guy. My experience was very different from someone who would have no idea what was coming.
Agree to disagree.

tr1p1ex

Metroid Prime Remastered is more of a remaster than a remake but let's call it a remake? hhhmmm how about we change the comparison to 'recent updated releases of games from 15-20 years ago?'

Haven't not played any of the rereleases of these games I feel the need to comment:

Dead Space was never a great game to begin with. I played a chunk of it back in the day and it was merely ok.

RE4 was a classic and surprised they felt the need to remake it instead of just remaster it.

MP was also a classic and probably good they didn't try to remake it.

Last edited:

Banned
Metroid is not a remake.
so I won't rank it.

as for the other 2, I think Dead Space is the better remake here, as it makes the original game completely obsolete basically. it's just better, and that's it.

RE4 remake isn't better in every way, it's not only very different in some ways, but also arguably worse in many. starting from the controls being super sluggish in comparison, and some fan favourite moments being cut.

both are great games, but Dead Space is the better remake imo

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I bought RE4 day one, I bought Prime a month after release and I'm waiting on Dead Space to drop to £20.

So there's that.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
To clarify, I just wanted to know how people would rank these particular games irrespective of their remake status. It’s my fault for putting remake in the title making it more confusing. Should’ve just asked to rank the 3 games, but I thought it made it more enticing to lump them under one umbrella. Rerelease, whatever you wanna call it. Just curious which of the games people liked best, but I can see why people would read it as “what is the better remake” so that’s my bad.

fatmarco

I think Dead Space had the more egregious changes versus Resident Evil 4, but also improved its gameplay more than RE4 did so it's a hard one.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Metroid Prime tops it for me.

RE4 is gorgeous but they changed the game way too much. It's not even a remake, it is a new game. And it ain't as good as the real RE4..

SeraphJan

Metroid is a remaster not a remake, but a very good remaster.

Both Dead Space and RE4 are amazing remake

Original developer of Dead Space 2008 was a huge fan of of RE4, Dead Space in fact was inspired by RE4, maybe its fate, but their relative remake released in the same year with time window so close to each other, its easier to compare them, and they are equally amazing.

By the way, many people here should really learn the difference of Remaster, Remake and Reimaging
Remaster is a game that keep most if not all of the original asset, with improvement such as lighting, resolution or even texture. Good example: Metroid Prime
Remake is a game build from ground up but keep the original story intact. Good example: RE4 and Dead Space Remake
Reimaging is a game not only build from ground up but even altered the story, only premise (such as the design of major characters) is kept intact. Good example: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Last edited:

Banned
To clarify, I just wanted to know how people would rank these particular games irrespective of their remake status. It’s my fault for putting remake in the title making it more confusing. Should’ve just asked to rank the 3 games, but I thought it made it more enticing to lump them under one umbrella. Rerelease, whatever you wanna call it. Just curious which of the games people liked best, but I can see why people would read it as “what is the better remake” so that’s my bad.

in that case
Metroid > RE4 > Dead Space

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Metroid is a remaster not a remake, but a very good remaster.

Both Dead Space and RE4 are amazing remake

Original developer of Dead Space 2008 was a huge fan of of RE4, Dead Space in fact was inspired by RE4, maybe its fate, but their relative remake released in the same year with time window so close to each other, its easier to compare them, and they are equally amazing.

By the way, many people here should really learn the difference of Remaster, Remake and Reimaging
Remaster is a game that keep most if not all of the original asset, with improvement such as lighting, resolution or even texture. Good example: Metroid Prime
Remake is a game build from ground up but keep the original story intact. Good example: RE4 and Dead Space Remake
Reimaging is a game not only build from ground up but even altered the story, only premise (such as the design of major characters) is kept intact. Good example: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
I know, I was just trying to lump them together categorically for the purpose of a topic, but I realized after it made it more confusing. I should have just phrased it as a "rerelease" or just asked people to rank the games without context.

Last edited:
Top Bottom