• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rastan; a perfect game IMO. But what are your "perfect games"

VGEsoterica

Perfection is a weird concept but we all kow it when we see it. That glimmer of something that seems uniquely made "just for you". A game (or even a movie or book) that basically hits every note just how you like it and you realize in your eyes "this is just a perfect video game"

For me that is Rastan from Taito. Classic 80's sword and sandals epic in interactive form. It def helps that as a kid my father showed me Conan the Barbarian and I absolutely LOVED that movie. So for me Rastan basically was the video game equivalent of that epic film.

But Rastan is 80s arcade challenging AF, charming as hell and has a hell of a soundtrack. It's just got what I CRAVE. Like Brawndo for plants.

But we all have "perfect games"...and they don't even need to be reviewed well or loved by many others. That one game that to you just does no wrong...and I want to hear what they are :) so what do you have for me GAF? What's your perfect game!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
You can say a game is perfect or just play it and move along. NBA 2K is perfect at putting the sport of basketball in peoples hands. Ocarina of time’s Forrest temple alone is considered perfect and it has many more.

Mr Hyde

Bloodborne

It was perfect in every way. Combat, lore, length, bosses and challenge, all perfectly measured and coming together like clockwork. I will never get tired of that game.

boards hype GIF

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm gonna say DOOM. Every weapon is useful, every enemy type has it's place during the whole game, the level design is fantastic and the atmosphere and music where something else back in it's day.

NSwitchDS_DOOM1993_04.jpg

(it even has Cacodemons!)

DOOM II added more enemies and the super shotgun, but they shit the bed imo in the level design. IMO the first entry is the better game, and I wouldn't change anything about it.

Also, I really liked Alien Soldier. A constant run of action, explosions, cool music and great (and big!) bosses, with a nice weapon selection which add a lot to strategy on how to play the game and approach the different bosses.

images

It's another game a consider perfect since I wouldn't dare changing anything about it.

hlm666

Wasted too much money on rastan as a kid, i loved it but sucked at it. Nastar or whatever it was called was a horrible sequel, I didn't even know it was the sequel until probably a decade after I played it. So many games too choose from for my perfect game, yet none are really perfect. I'm going to just choose the one that I think for it's time was actually near perfection on a technical level and that's turbo lotus espirit 2 on the amiga.

chaseroni

one of the best games in terms of sense of discovery. Totally different genre but have you played Talos Principle or The Witness?
Yeah I have played both! I think I liked Talos Principle a bit more than The Witness. The Witness got a little too difficult with the puzzles for me at the time. I should give it another go.
Loved the new Myst remake as well.

Also kinda unrelated but have you tried The Beginners Guide? Seems like a type of game you might be interested in.

VGEsoterica

Yeah I have played both! I think I liked Talos Principle a bit more than The Witness. The Witness got a little too difficult with the puzzles for me at the time. I should give it another go.
Loved the new Myst remake as well.

Also kinda unrelated but have you tried The Beginners Guide? Seems like a type of game you might be interested in.
its on my list of games to play but as of yet that's as far as Ive gotten lol

Holammer

Black Tiger/Dragon and Choplifter arcades are two of my perfect games.

Black Tiger never got the recognition it deserved. It should have been as famous as Ghost'n Goblins, but it failed to get contemporary console ports and remains largely unknown today. It got some microcomputer ports, but that's it.

Fallout 1 and 2
Diablo 2
Divinity original sin 1 and 2
All Stainless' Magic the Gathering games
Command and conquer Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
Half life 2 (HL2VR in the future as well)
Too Human
The Order 1886
Gears of War 1
Megalomania
Road Rash
Syndicate Wars
Kingdom Under Fire 1 and 2
Advent Rising
Mass Effect 1
Dragon age 1
Operencia The Stolen Sun

Last edited:

Fredrik

Super Metroid
The map, exploration, setting, music, controls, secrets, upgrades, progression, ending.

Elden Ring
It is rapidly climbing my list again after I started a second playthrough. Perfect might be pushing it though but I’m back and 10/10 again (might still drop it back to 9/10 again when I reach Elden Beast, we’ll see.)

Fattious Floyd

Neo Member
The Witcher 3
Resident Evil 2 (OG and Remake)
Fallout 3
The Last of Us
Elden Ring
KOTOR (OG)
Gears of War 3
Halo: Reach
Bioshock

Fattious Floyd

Neo Member
Perfection is a weird concept but we all kow it when we see it. That glimmer of something that seems uniquely made "just for you". A game (or even a movie or book) that basically hits every note just how you like it and you realize in your eyes "this is just a perfect video game"

For me that is Rastan from Taito. Classic 80's sword and sandals epic in interactive form. It def helps that as a kid my father showed me Conan the Barbarian and I absolutely LOVED that movie. So for me Rastan basically was the video game equivalent of that epic film.

But Rastan is 80s arcade challenging AF, charming as hell and has a hell of a soundtrack. It's just got what I CRAVE. Like Brawndo for plants.

But we all have "perfect games"...and they don't even need to be reviewed well or loved by many others. That one game that to you just does no wrong...and I want to hear what they are :) so what do you have for me GAF? What's your perfect game!

This was one of my first Video games ever played on my SEGA Mastersystem. Great music and cool visuals for the time. Check out Volgaar the Viking if you're looking for a similar experience ;)

wondermega

RECU61L.png

I loved Pacman as a very little kid (who didn't?) and the sequel felt like more of the same, in a good way - also the aesthetic changes were enough to make it stand out.
Many years later as a young adult I rediscovered Ms Pac and realized it was a bottomless hole for me - every time I found a machine, I could drop a quarter in and be completely entranced for like 45 minutes. I've never seemed to shake that (normal "slow" game, not the crappy speed hack which everyone else seems to prefer!)

vPx02gX.jpg

OG B/W Tetris is always gonna be my basic go-to Zen Out game. No frills, nothing fancy, just straight to the metal gameplay. My life has major problems if I don't have an easily accessible way to play this just in front of me, at all times. This game is perfect for snapping me out of a funk and immediately righting everything.

yV7iD5G.jpg

It took me some time to decide, but I did finally settle on the original Contra as my top NES game. They just nailed absolutely everything with this game. Graphics, mechanics, pacing, weapons. If they ditched the 3D levels it'd be ACTUALLY perfect. As it is, close enough.

PHxTBZU.jpg

I discovered Drop 7 on the phone a really long time ago; this game completely sucked me in and dominated the bejeezus out of my mind. It really is the ultimate pick up and play on your phone game, since it's move-based (no timer, action etc) and each game is designed to end within like 5 minutes on average. Doesn't look like much but don't let that fool you, this is a crazy strategy game. I had to uninstall off my phone after a few years as it was simply too addictive and taking up too much of my time, I haven't touched it since like 2016

Last edited:
Top Bottom