• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rastan; a perfect game IMO. But what are your "perfect games"

VGEsoterica

nWps42W.jpg

Another perfect game for me. Is it perfect? Maybe not. But it is for me

kiphalfton

I second that. For the world building alone Bloodborne is better than any Souls entry

And yet it's the only game that has only had like one release or contained to one console.

- Demon's Souls has had two releases (vanilla and remake)
- Dark Souls has two different releases (vanilla and Remastered)
- Dark Souls II has two different versions (vanilla and Scholar of First Sin)
- Dark Souls III has two different versions (vanilla and Fire Fades)

If Bluepoint isn't remaking Bloodborne, it's a big miss for no reason. Could have remastered/ported it to PC and for current gen.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Huh, it's not Rastan that turns from ancient barbarian times to you fighting Giger-ripoff aliens? I thought that was the final stage of Rastan. (Rastan Saga 2 has a rabbit-eared Giger monster, but I never played that one so it can't be that.) What game am I thinking of then?

Anyway, I do remember Rastan a lot as a kid. It always seemed stuff to me, but I can see how mastering the mechanics makes it clear what the game is doing and how the play balance works at all times, so it makes sense how somebody could love it.

BTW, the downslash action.... how come that is so rarely used in games now? What's more fun than downslashing onto an enemy?? The downslash I like most is when it also acts as a pogo, as in Zelda 2, but still, I spent much of my childhood jumping off of stuff and downslashing on stuff with broomhandles (and sometimes hurting myself,) or imaging how I'd hold a sword to somehow jump-and-slash spin effectively, or wishing I had a grappling hook...

Last edited:

Ivan

Shinobi
TMNT arcade
Super Mario World
Super Mario Land
Street Hoop
Mickey Mania
Cannon Fodder (Amiga)
Mortal Kombat 2
Donkey Kong Country
Resident Evil 2
Half-life
Quake 3 Arena
Heart of Darkness
Need for Speed 3 Hot Pursuit
Goldeneye 007
C&C and Red Alert
Warcraft 2
Worms 1
Colony Wars
Shadow of the Beast 3
Medal of Honor Alllied Assault
Diablo 2

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
When I was a kid nothing could top Joe & Mac, Sunset Riders and Super Adventure Island. My arcade experiences were heavily influenced by Midway, Capcom, SNK and Namco. Taito had such a strong influence on me as an adult and I think that that’s because I can associate their brand name to the games I played or games that I play in the present. Data East and Capcom were responsible for a lot of side scrollers. I had a lot of gratitude towards SNK for making multi game cabinets, especially having Magician Lord.

I think we each were each influenced by similar experiences. I for one associate the barbarian type hero with Magic Sword by Capcom. This is before SOTN, MGS, or Zelda OOT. It was even before the side scrolling D&D games, which I also adored for their aesthetics alone.

I say this as I attempt to play games that I never had access to, like Arabian Magic and Wizard Fire from various Taito and Data East collections. Hamster’s Arcade Archives has been a great way to play these games too. I don’t really like the style of Volgarr the Viking just because it reminds me too much of Ghost n Goblins. Which I prefer GnG’s style. I say that not because of difficulty but the rogue like feeling I get from being so vulnerable. Face me off with the Nameless King all day, but don’t make me a glass cannon. Glass cannon type characters to me are a lot more enjoyable in games like Bubble Bobble type games or something like Ninja Kid/Mr Goemon. Which btw there are a ton of those style of games. I can’t even think of a definitive way to describe them. The Taito Legends Collection 2 has a ton of them and so do Arcade Archives.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

The OG GBA version of Link's Awakening DX.

Back then it was the perfect pocket adventure being good at every department.

Later I also would get sucked in the world of Symphony of the Night. The game shared the perfect amount of cool art direction and music, right my alley. Feeling of adventure and discoveries.

Bionic Commando on the NES gave me that feeling when I was able to master its controls back in the 80s.
Bionic-Commando-Battle.png

It just felt "right".

Ghouls n' Ghost had that as well, when you master the controls the character's movement is entirely predictable and it feels like you are in control.

Shinobi III on the Genesis, the game is fast, has just enough moves to feel perfect in a way, if it had a Yuzo Koshiro

I think that F-Zero on the SNES had that zone moments as well, same for Wipeout HD on PS3.

God of War 1, 2 and 3!

SirTerry-T

I have played and loved all sorts of video games for the past 40 years, from those early Atari VCS games right through to the modern AAA blockbusters but to this day no other game can get me "in the zone" like Tempest can, especially Jeff Minter’s awesome updates.

Rudius

I have played and loved all sorts of video games for the past 40 years, from those early Atari VCS games right through to the modern AAA blockbusters but to this day no other game can get me "in the zone" like Tempest can, especially Jeff Minter’s awesome updates.
Imagine an alternative reality in which the same types of games were still being made, with that atmosphere, futuristic and fantastic, but with the power of modern hardware...

Bloodborne

It was perfect in every way. Combat, lore, length, bosses and challenge, all perfectly measured and coming together like clockwork. I will never get tired of that game.

boards hype GIF
I love Bloodborne, but if it was perfect, it wouldn't be in such need of a remaster/performance upgrade.

Also, fuck Frenzy.

Huh, it's not Rastan that turns from ancient barbarian times to you fighting Giger-ripoff aliens? I thought that was the final stage of Rastan. (Rastan Saga 2 has a rabbit-eared Giger monster, but I never played that one so it can't be that.) What game am I thinking of then?

Anyway, I do remember Rastan a lot as a kid. It always seemed stuff to me, but I can see how mastering the mechanics makes it clear what the game is doing and how the play balance works at all times, so it makes sense how somebody could love it.

BTW, the downslash action.... how come that is so rarely used in games now? What's more fun than downslashing onto an enemy? Well, a downslash that also acts as a pogo, as in Link's Awakening, but still, I spent much of my childhood jumping off of stuff and downslashing on stuff with broomhandles (and sometimes hurting myself,) or imaging how I'd hold a sword to somehow jump-and-slash spin effectively, or wishing I had a grappling hook...

Wasn't it Zelda 2, not Link's Awakening?

CamHostage

Wasn't it Zelda 2, not Link's Awakening?

Oh, rats, of course, I wrote the wrong game. I forge that Zelda 2 had such a boring subtitle for a very intriguing sequel - The Adventures of Link - and got them mixed up.

Although technically, I do believe you can downslash or spinjump or something in Link's Awakening's 2D chambers, if you don't just stomp the oddly-present goombas. But that's not the game I was thinking of and that's not pogo'ing, which is what I thought was cool about Rastan and Zelda 2 and wish more games had.

150816-0527-mp4_snapshot_00-49-34_2015-08-16_12-41-42.jpg

Perfection is a weird concept but we all kow it when we see it. That glimmer of something that seems uniquely made "just for you". A game (or even a movie or book) that basically hits every note just how you like it and you realize in your eyes "this is just a perfect video game"

For me that is Rastan from Taito. Classic 80's sword and sandals epic in interactive form. It def helps that as a kid my father showed me Conan the Barbarian and I absolutely LOVED that movie. So for me Rastan basically was the video game equivalent of that epic film.

But Rastan is 80s arcade challenging AF, charming as hell and has a hell of a soundtrack. It's just got what I CRAVE. Like Brawndo for plants.

But we all have "perfect games"...and they don't even need to be reviewed well or loved by many others. That one game that to you just does no wrong...and I want to hear what they are :) so what do you have for me GAF? What's your perfect game!

I loved Rastan in the arcade

yurinka

Street Fighter II, or most of the other games in the series since then until Street Fighter V Champion Edition.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
In no particular order:

MGS (but honestly the whole series)
FF7
God of War 3
Bomberman NES
Contra
SoTN
Zelda: OoT
Yoshi's Island
Soul Calibur Dreamcast
Burnout 3
Diablo
Super Mario World
SM64
Bloodborne
Dark Souls
FF Tactics
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Bioshock

Just a few off the top of my head, I could go on and on. These are just a small sample of the games that had me fully immersed and engaged throughout, that impressed and delighted me, that had a certain magic to them that made me completely ignore any flaws they might have had and thus regarded as "perfect".

bender

What time is it?
-Tetris
-Rez
-A Link to the Past
-Super Mario World
-Resident Evil 4
-Bloodborne
-Spelunky
-Super Meat Boy
-NFL Blitz
-Konami's Run and Gun
-Street Fighter II
-Metal Gear Solid/Metal Gear Solid 3
-Max Payne 2
-UT99/2004
-Quake/Q3A
-Rocket League
-Metal Slug 3
-Soul Calibur
-Morrowind
-Planescape Tourment
-Shadows of Amn

Last edited:

consoul

Sonic 2006

but really
Outrun
Tekken 3
Soul Calibur II
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 4
Valkyria Chronicles
The Last of Us

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
And yet it's the only game that has only had like one release or contained to one console.

- Demon's Souls has had two releases (vanilla and remake)
- Dark Souls has two different releases (vanilla and Remastered)
- Dark Souls II has two different versions (vanilla and Scholar of First Sin)
- Dark Souls III has two different versions (vanilla and Fire Fades)

If Bluepoint isn't remaking Bloodborne, it's a big miss for no reason. Could have remastered/ported it to PC and for current gen.
As with many situations like this I imagine either the source code is a mess or there is some arcane copyright issue with some portion of the game that makes it difficult to port and re-release.

Or they are simply waiting to make it launch title for PS6.

For me: Thief and Thief 2. Unparalleled atmosphere and world building. Also - fuck the levels with undead.

Hugare

I'm recently playing The Witness, and honestly, it's a perfect game

It's such a simple concept, but they change it in so many brilliant ways. I've played it for hours on the weekend with my gf, and we had so much fun.

No mtx, no multiplayer, not even narrative (if you dont care about it), just puzzles and a gorgeous art style.

marquimvfs

I have a lot of them. Many have been mentioned here. But, and I don't know how, nobody seems to remember of Super Mario Bros 3

engstra

ICO

Simple premise executed to perfection. Incredible atmosphere that still holds up so well due to its architectural design that works so well with the narrative.

Mr.ODST

Star Wars Galaxies (Pre-CU and to some extent CU) or FFXI - both excellent examples of MMO's done right, social aspect, you had to EARN everything you had, a lot of player run things and more, every MMO now is just a themepark simulator

Xeaker

I don't think there is a perfect game, there are always some flaws to find.
Even my favorite games have some parts I dislike.

Xeaker

I don't think there is a perfect game, there are always some flaws to find.
Even my favorite games have some parts I dislike.

Gojiira

Fallout New Vegas for me, I could play it forever.
MGS1
MGS3
Metal Gear AC!D, different but great story and bosses in a unique playstyle.
Bloodborne

Last edited:

Markio128

I don’t have a perfect game so to speak, but there were games that hit me at the perfect time in my life, which I guess is why the OP loves Rastan so much.

In that category, I think of ‘Yie Ar Kung Fu’ and ‘International Karate +’ because I was heavily into martial arts at that time; ‘WipEout’ because I was a bit of a raver when that game came out; ‘TLOZ:OOT’ because my favourite books at that time were ‘The Hobbit’ and ‘TLOTR’.

If you twisted my arm for the perfect game, then I’d have to say ‘Tetris’, only because I recall parents who didn’t even play games being addicted to it, on the OG Gameboy.

EDIT: Oh, and I also loved ‘Rastan’ for the same reason as the OP, along with ‘Barbarian’. I acutely remember the poster of Maria Whitaker I had on my bedroom wall 😍

Last edited:

Banned
Perfection is a weird concept but we all kow it when we see it. That glimmer of something that seems uniquely made "just for you". A game (or even a movie or book) that basically hits every note just how you like it and you realize in your eyes "this is just a perfect video game"

For me that is Rastan from Taito. Classic 80's sword and sandals epic in interactive form. It def helps that as a kid my father showed me Conan the Barbarian and I absolutely LOVED that movie. So for me Rastan basically was the video game equivalent of that epic film.

But Rastan is 80s arcade challenging AF, charming as hell and has a hell of a soundtrack. It's just got what I CRAVE. Like Brawndo for plants.

But we all have "perfect games"...and they don't even need to be reviewed well or loved by many others. That one game that to you just does no wrong...and I want to hear what they are :) so what do you have for me GAF? What's your perfect game!

fans of Rastan should definitely play "Völgarr the Viking" btw.
it's a very, VERY, direct homage to Rastan (IMO better as well)

R.41a5b9db39ec58906d12ce4709f9f470

it's out on Switch, Vita, Windows, Mac, Linux, Xbox One, PS4 and... Wii U... aaaand Dreamcast!

it was an early Games With Gold game on Xbox One as well, so some may have it without realising/remembering

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

Perfection:
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
Tetris
Nex Machina
Super Stardust HD

Not *perfect* but near 10/10:
Dishonored
Bioshock
Starcraft 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Doom 2016

kiphalfton

As with many situations like this I imagine either the source code is a mess or there is some arcane copyright issue with some portion of the game that makes it difficult to port and re-release.

Or they are simply waiting to make it launch title for PS6.

For me: Thief and Thief 2. Unparalleled atmosphere and world building. Also - fuck the levels with undead.

Have you played thief with graphics mod? I want to, but backlog is crazy.

Top Bottom