• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart |OT| Next-gen just got riveting....

Dr Bass

The snowflake writing in this game is absolutely annoying. All new characters have low self esteem, trust issues or are anxious/depressive. I'm playing a puzzle level and all the background dialogue is how "you're so special and brave and lucky to have a friend", like everyone needs to be reminded all the time that they're so special and accepted.

I'm sorry but I just don't relate to this pathetic ultra sensitive and needy generation. That's why I tend to skip most new shows and movies.
I think I know which sequence character you’re referring too and I think you’re waaaaay overstating this. In fact I’m a little surprised you don’t see the irony in how upset you seem to be over this.

HotPocket69

Banned
TThjkPY.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Does anyone actually use L2 to aim? Is there any real reason to? I find myself not really using it at all, because all it does is make my FOV narrower.

Unknown?

Can't believe how much the controller stands out here. Constantly impressed with how much it adds to the experience.

No loading too. I think I'm more impressed by these two things over the graphics.
I played the first part and this has better haptics than Astro IMO.

Entroyp

Halfway through my challenge mode run and I’m even more in love with the game. I turned off 120hz on my PS5 and now the game looks very very good on Performance RT.

And this is only the tip of the iceberg, this generation is going to be wild!!

Last edited:

Renozokii

Maybe now people will accept that Returnal underperformed? Ratchet is the best game on the PS5.
Underperformed based on what? Compared to all the other triple a rogue likes? Wasn’t there also mass reports of stock issues for the game in the I’m? And it did well digitally from what we’ve seen with the top charts.

Renozokii

They definitely did Ratchet dirty. Rivet gets 50% game time in Ratchet's game, gets exclusive arena challenges, gets exclusive ability to fly a dragon and has a much more likeable personality. Ratchet overall is quite dull in both PS4 and PS5 games (way more dull on PS4), he had way more interesting personality during PS2 and PS3 era. I think they're clearly pushing Rivet as the hero for the next game.
I mean how many games have they done with him? Is it unrealistic to think insomniac just found rivet more interest to develop around?

Reindeer

I mean how many games have they done with him? Is it unrealistic to think insomniac just found rivet more interest to develop around?
I don't think having a game titled about one character and then introducing completely new character that has half the playtime and outshines him in almost every department is the right approach. Insomniac can do whatever it is they wanna do, but Ratchet deserved better imo. This has nothing to do with Rivet, I actually find her a lot more interesting than Ratchet as they obviously paid a lot more attention to her character development.

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

Perhaps, I've played both and Returnal's game play is leagues more fun and addictive than R&C. I still like R&C a lot but I think Returnal's middle aged protagonist and the rogue lite aspects isn't as appealing to the mainstream market as a long running beloved series. I for one is hoping Housemarque will get to do follow-up on this amazing game. To me DS and Returnal are currently the two best PS5 exclusives from my personal enjoyment.
I completely agree. Returnal was amazing and a really fun game to platinum. It might not be as popular as Ratchet but I strongly believe the game performed really well worldwide. I'm from Brazil and even though our economy here sucks I know lots of friends with a PS5 that also bought and enjoyed Returnal.

Americans tend to think that only their sales determine if the game fails or not and often forget that the game is also available in countless other countries too. I really think Housemark succeeded in what they wanted to achieve sale wise and I hope they continue to bring these amazing games to Playstation in the future.

Elog

I am not a platformer or platformer-like game guy. Normally very neutral to the category. However, I really enjoy R&C Rift Apart. Great and tight gameplay, beautiful game, dialogue/story surprisingly good for the game type and insanely fun gadgets. Only critique I have so far is minor and that is that some spots of each map has a little bit wonky geometry (in relationship to collision checks).

Stellar game - Playstation is really killing it this year. If they continue like this, 2021 might even trump 2020 in terms of releases and 2020 was fantastic as a PS owner.

kuncol02

Banned
Underperformed based on what? Compared to all the other triple a rogue likes? Wasn’t there also mass reports of stock issues for the game in the I’m? And it did well digitally from what we’ve seen with the top charts.
So now it is AAA game? When we were discussing game statistics some time ago number of hours played (which is directly related to number of copies sold) wasn't that bad, because "it's not AAA game".

Renozokii

I don't think having a game titled about one character and then introducing completely new character that has half the playtime and outshines him in almost every department is the right approach. Insomniac can do whatever it is they wanna do, but Ratchet deserved better imo. This has nothing to do with Rivet, I actually find her a lot more interesting than Ratchet as they obviously paid a lot more attention to her character development.
None of this really makes sense to me? Why does ratchet “deserve” better. It’s not like he’s some deep fabled characters. He’s a fairly generic wise cracking mascot from 2002. Insomniac never downplayed how major a role rivet would play and nearly every trailer and promo art was depicted around her. Ratchet still takes up over half the game. On top of that people generally like rivet. I’m just not seeing the point of this argument much.

Renozokii

So now it is AAA game? When we were discussing game statistics some time ago number of hours played (which is directly related to number of copies sold) wasn't that bad, because "it's not AAA game".
Whose we? I discussed nothing with you. And triple A double A not really the point. The point is both Sony and housemarque seem happy with the sales. The fact that you compare its sales to a new game in a franchise that’s been going for 20 is dumb as hell.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Platted last night. Prob took around 20 hours since I 100%’d and took a shit ton of pics. Still not as good as A Crack In Time but probably the best looking game I’ve ever seen and an absolute blast all the way through for the most part. Thank god you can skip the Glitch and Clank sections with no detriment to progress.

Also that RYNO power was way way WAY more underwhelming than I expected.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Platted last night. Prob took around 20 hours since I 100%’d and took a shit ton of pics. Still not as good as A Crack In Time but probably the best looking game I’ve ever seen and an absolute blast all the way through for the most part. Thank god you can skip the Glitch and Clank sections with no detriment to progress.

Also that RYNO power was way way WAY more underwhelming than I expected.
Haven't gotten to Clank gameplay yet but I did the first glitch section and I thought it was fine. I'm sure they get a lot harder though.

DonJorginho

Banned
Haven't gotten to Clank gameplay yet but I did the first glitch section and I thought it was fine. I'm sure they get a lot harder though.
The Glitch Sections don't get harder per say, just cheaper and more annoying, I never found myself struggling with them on the second to hardest difficulty, I just found it tiresome, will gladly skip any future sections with Glitch!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Had a funny glitch last night, well. I totally broke the game. a certain level while grinding i missed a gold bolt, found a way to jump back on the rail from another platform and go back to get the bolt i initialy missed. the game couldnt work out what was happening and sent me back on the loop of the set piece i'd done. That's fine I thought, ill just do it again. Basically the camera was going nuts and every time i died and fell of it had made my checkpoint on the rail. I thought I was fucked. luckily I managed to make the jump while the camera was off breaking and got the game back on track. That was a close call.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned

It’s not a matter of difficulty for me. Those sections just completely break the flow of the excellent pacing.

Unknown?

My first impressions till Sargasso was how I was struck by how it looks even better than the CGI movie!

Up till now games looked just like PC upgrades with higher resolution and better assets but this actually shows what is possible when higher specs are targeted.

Orpheum

The good: The game is bonkers, absolutely gorgeous and plays like a dream. Great story, writing and VA.

The bad: Had one crash at the arena which completely fried my PS5, console wouldn't boot up again and had to reset the entire console

Kinda bummed at the lack of humor.... besides everything just being ZANY there isn't many actual jokes in here.

"My dream has always been to operate a drill 100 times bigger than me"

"thats....very specific"

"specific goals are attainable goals"

This is probably the only time I chuckled a bit. Not a belly laugher but a solid joke. Why isnt there more of this? Even the reboot on PS4 was pretty dead in this regard as well.

Other than that, really enjoying the game but so far the story has just kinda been background noise.

HotPocket69

Banned
2 hard crashes to a black screen where it just froze indefinitely.

Fell through the floor twice.

Snagged on geometry well over a dozen times.

Definitely will need some polish patches down the road. Good thing they didn’t fuck up my good time.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This game is so good. I noticed weird lines popping in during cutscenes when I was playing and thought it was something up with my PS5 or TV, but I noticed they only seemed to occur when I had the pre-order armor equipped. It seems to have some weird glistening/shining effect in cutscenes.

2 hard crashes to a black screen where it just froze indefinitely.

Fell through the floor twice.

Snagged on geometry well over a dozen times.

Definitely will need some polish patches down the road. Good thing they didn’t fuck up my good time.
Yeah had a few black screen crashes and had to rebuild database twice which I've never seen on a game before. Fell through the ground a few times too and some of the scripted events haven't triggered properly.

Also don't use the video filters until they patch it as they can cause artifacts and reduce the fur quality when you turn them off until you restart the game.

GymWolf

Fuck, i'm almost at the end (i think).

I think that i'm gonna do a second run on sunset overdrive on pc after i finish this, insomniac scratched that hitch for colorfull cartoony games with strange weapons.

GymWolf

To me this fits like a glove into the platforming genre. The guns are just the twist. It’s doesn’t fit well into a third person shooter genre. The setting, characters, story and much of the gameplay are based on previous platformers. Jak and Daxter is another one.
Dude i fucking hate platformers and i'm loving the game.

For the last time, this is not a platformer, you shoot far more than you jump and the platform sections are completely brainless unless you use you dick to press the buttons, nobody buy ratchet to do precise jumping on platforms.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
few hours in (40%) and I am finding myself surprisingly enjoying it.
It sounds great, looks great, feel great.
The levels, story and characters are all so much better than 2016 shit game. Maybe I had too low expectations but it's more creative and just good.
And the graphics look so good omg. I am uing Fidelity mode on oled and it's perfect. The reflections are absolutely everywhere and are distorted correctly according to surface type and material. Really impressive.
The ssd is also just simple a game changer.

I mean it's a "simple" game but it grew on me which I am a bit ashamed to admit. The 3d audio with pulse 3d is also exceptional.

Oh and (one of bolts unlock):
There is a unlockable with which you can change nuts and bolts to energy drinks.
Not only I kinda like this idea of Ratched gulping thousands of energy drinks but is is super impressive the amount and motion blur of all the cans hurling towards you :p

Camreezie

I think we are going to get Sunset overdrive definitive edition next. The couple of references j came across after the trademark news the other day makes me think its next

Goddamit, I caved and paid full price. $75 including tax, ridiculous, but my Amex has a $30 back if you pay for it through PayPal, so $45 in effect…

Only played the first thirty minutes or so… I love Ratchet so do like it, but this is just more of the same? A revolution this is not. I already dislike the rift gimmick… Hoping that gets better. Looks nice though.

And I think my PS5 might be about to croak. Getting a lot of errors when trying to do stuff, and I noticed some graphical sparkles when I paused it. Might be because it’s so hot today. I’ll go back to Mad Max and return later when the sun goes down…

Dr Bass

Goddamit, I caved and paid full price. $75 including tax, ridiculous, but my Amex has a $30 back if you pay for it through PayPal, so $45 in effect…

Only played the first thirty minutes or so… I love Ratchet so do like it, but this is just more of the same? A revolution this is not. I already dislike the rift gimmick… Hoping that gets better. Looks nice though.

And I think my PS5 might be about to croak. Getting a lot of errors when trying to do stuff, and I noticed some graphical sparkles when I paused it. Might be because it’s so hot today. I’ll go back to Mad Max and return later when the sun goes down…
A recent account that says Sony hype is BS, Sony games review 10 points too high, GP is the new hotness and Xbox should be feared because they are now undeniable.

And of course you think this game is more of the same, the rift is a "gimmick, the game is overpriced, and your PS5 is failing.

This totally checks out!

A recent account that says Sony hype is BS, Sony games review 10 points too high, GP is the new hotness and Xbox should be feared because they are now undeniable.

And of course you think this game is more of the same, the rift is a "gimmick, the game is overpriced, and your PS5 is failing.

This totally checks out!
Recent account? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You think this is significantly different to previous Ratchet games?

And yeah this is about 10 pts too high from what I’ve seen, but maybe it gets better. Still good, but as usual, overhyped.

Dr Bass

Recent account? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You think this is significantly different to previous Ratchet games?

And yeah this is about 10 pts too high from what I’ve seen, but maybe it gets better. Still good, but as usual, overhyped.
Ok my bad, you joined in 2014. I just didn't see a lot in your post history. And then combined with the "Forza Horizon 5 is the best looking game ever" that I seem to see being attempted to be passed around the Xbox threads ... there are really strange distinct narratives you see popping up among a certain group. Similar language, etc.

I also think the game is rated too low, actually. It should be mid 90s, and it IS revolutionary. There is no game on the planet with it's CGI quality presentation and use of instant data loading to pull of what it does. Literally 1 game currently on Earth that does what it does. For the style and genre of the game I can't really find any faults. What would you improve?

Ok my bad, you joined in 2014. I just didn't see a lot in your post history. And then combined with the "Forza Horizon 5 is the best looking game ever" that I seem to see being attempted to be passed around the Xbox threads ... there are really strange distinct narratives you see popping up among a certain group. Similar language, etc.

I also think the game is rated too low, actually. It should be mid 90s, and it IS revolutionary. There is no game on the planet with it's CGI quality presentation and use of instant data loading to pull of what it does. Literally 1 game currently on Earth that does what it does. For the style and genre of the game I can't really find any faults. What would you improve?
I’m actually okay with more of the same tbh… I like Ratchet, and not everything needs to be the most amazing thing ever to be worth my time…

I’d improve the price for sure.

In the opening I found the rift thing to be disorienting and a little forced. Maybe it gets better, like I said, but I would have enjoyed the opening sequence more without it for sure.

Horizon 5 does look incredible, so does this… As much as I like both I’ll get hundreds of hours out of Horizon 5 and from what I hear, about 12 hours out of this. One is $70 plus tax, the other is included with my GamePass subscription. It’s not a giant leap surely to believe someone could find that better value?

I expect to have a similar ‘more of the same’ comment about Horizon 5 from what I’ve seen, and I’m okay with that - a better looking, still great game - but not revolutionary.

Last edited:
Top Bottom