• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart |OT| Next-gen just got riveting....

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Doing my challenge mode performance RT and the downgrade is noticeable. Fidelity mode looks truly next gen, something special. Performance RT looks like a really well polished PS4 Pro game IMO. Still great obviously, but fidelity is really where this game shines.
I've been playing the game in Performance RT for the past week. Out of curisoity I switched to Fidelity tonight and switched back to Performance RT almost immediately. Couldn't stand the juddering. I guess Fidelity is fine if you've been playing that way right from the start, but it's tough to go from 60 to 30 fps. Performance trumps sharper visuals.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
Hey. Be carefull guys. I went into the pocket dimension on blizzard prime got the armor and got stuck. Rift won't open and I had to reload from old checkpoint. Checked on reddit. I'm not the only one.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
So I found out you can't get the Bouncer weapon on your first playthrough? Damn that's a bummer, it's like my favorite weapon from the R&C series.

I've been playing the game in Performance RT for the past week. Out of curisoity I switched to Fidelity tonight and switched back to Performance RT almost immediately. Couldn't stand the juddering. I guess Fidelity is fine if you've been playing that way right from the start, but it's tough to go from 60 to 30 fps. Performance trumps sharper visuals.

The 30 vs 60 fps framerate is very subtle in this game, the extra clarity and better lighting is immediately obvious and makes it look more next-gen

really depends on the game. DS is a no brainer at 60, but I think I prefer fidelity for Ratchet. Insomniac simply knows how to really make a 30 fps game smooth

noise36

Watching the new Pixar film Luca with the kids , the comparison with this game are not even close, maybe Pixar from 20 years ago, this movie is way ahead.

Ratchet and Clank still a very nice looking game though.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Got the platinum today. I'll give it a really solid 8 out of ten. Absolutely a great blast to play but far too easy to collect all secrets etc and the rifts wernt really a challenge. I was hoping for some really awesome hair brained side content of doing rails and wall running etc to collect secrets.

I think the game looks amazing in cutscene and great in gameplay but it's kind of what I expected from insomniac for an early ratchet. Deffo more to come from the studio.

Ab absolutely brilliant game to come out in the first year but I'm pretty much done with it and will trade it in today. Not worth 70 pounds to keep imo.

Back to returnal!

Jon Neu

Banned
I just finished the game.

Pros:

-The gameplay was really good.
-Almost instant loading.
-Cute artistic design.

Cons:

-More on the short side.
-Despite the hype, graphics are not that impressive.
-Some gameplay mechanics (flying specially).
-No replay value

I would give it a 7. But feels like a rushed game.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Cant believe how many used copies of this game are at my local cex in a relatively small store. 7 copies in total and the guy who traded in mine said I was the first person to say the game was great and everyone else is saying its far too short.

Cex in Huddersfield if anyone interested lol.

Weird how the public perceive things.

Cant believe how many used copies of this game are at my local cex in a relatively small store. 7 copies in total and the guy who traded in mine said I was the first person to say the game was great and everyone else is saying its far too short.

I'm still going to buy it new. I believe its worth it.

MrS

Banned
I just finished the game.

Pros:

-The gameplay was really good.
-Almost instant loading.
-Cute artistic design.

Cons:

-More on the short side.
-Despite the hype, graphics are not that impressive.
-Some gameplay mechanics (flying specially).
-No replay value

I would give it a 7. But feels like a rushed game.
I think this is a fair assessment which I largely agree with. Should have put the platinum behind NG+ to increase replay value. Good game, not great.

Last edited:

xray49er

I beat it last night. I had a blast very solid game. The rifts weren't used as how I thought they were going to be it was just more a move to the next scene or a way to spawn enemies. I got. 41 of 47 trophies. I would try to platinum it but I do not want to look for the bears. I would give it a strong 8

MrS

Banned
I beat it last night. I had a blast very solid game. The rifts weren't used as how I thought they were going to be it was just more a move to the next scene or a way to spawn enemies. I got. 41 of 47 trophies. I would try to platinum it but I do not want to look for the bears. I would give it a strong 8
hey man you can find them all in 10 minutes. super easy to do. lot of them are at the beginning of levels

Last edited:
I'm still going to buy it new. I believe its worth it.
Its fucking great ! I don't know if these people got 1 too many Covid shot and it's affecting their brain , the game is great , it's fun (take any previous rachet games and multiply it by 10) well at least the ps4 and ps3 games , it's the best looking game i've seen , anyways i would give it a great 10 out of 10 , the ps4 game maybe a 7/10 , ps3 game maybe a 8.

xray49er

hey man you can find them all in 10 minutes. super easy to do. lot of them are at the beginning of levels
Thanks I did start a new game + just to see so maybe I'll try. I'm going to go back to Biomutant and see if that will catch on then scarlet nexus next week so if I get some time I'll search for the bears

Reactions: MrS
As a trophy hunter, if I have an issue with a trophy list, it's almost always because the trophies are too frustrating, too boring or asking you to do things that are not in the spirit of the game.

This game has the opposite problem. The trophies are too easy. You can get the platinum almost accidentally (except for one which requires you to start New Game + to reach the first vendor).

The best trophy lists are the ones that basically just want you to come close to 100%ing the game, preferably on Normal or higher difficulty. But, Rift Apart asks you to complete like 30-40% for the platinum. For example, you only need 5 out of 25 Gold Bolts. You'll trip over more than that while playing.

Game developers have gotten better at achievements and trophies since they started (look at how much more reasonable the Mass Effect trophy lists are in the remasters compared to the originals). But they still have a ways to go.

Trophies can either make a game more fun or frustrating and tedious. Getting a platinum shouldn't be a punishment. But they shouldn't be given for free either. Use them so people get maximum enjoyment out of games you like.

And if you are one of those who hates all trophies and feels the need to point out that anyone who does enjoy them are playing games "wrong", cool, congratulations.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So glad I’ve moved to digital. I get to keep my shit forever. Whenever I get the itch, it’s all right there.

Trading stuff in 😂

Ill be honest if I paid 70 pounds for this digitally I'd be vexed right now and probably give it a 6 out of ten. One of the easiest platinums I've ever got and to be honest it's juat as good as other Ratchet games. All the ratchet games have been great, this is just more of the same really. It doesn't do anything to really push the game beyond what they've done before. I'd even say the weapons aren't as good as previous games in the series imo.

It's just a really, really solid game. Not worth 70 pounds for me at all, but I understand that I'm someone who seems to be more against 70 pound games than others.

I would personally advise peeps to get Returnal over this any day of the week.

Last edited:

Markio128

I have the physical copy and I have just the last mission to do (Currently hoovering up any collectibles). Once I’ve completed it, I’m going to park it before I play it again on hard. One thing to consider before trading it in is that there may be some DLC in the pipeline.

Ill be honest if I paid 70 pounds for this digitally I'd be vexed right now and probably give it a 6 out of ten. One of the easiest platinums I've ever got and to be honest it's juat as good as other Ratchet games. All the ratchet games have been great, this is just more of the same really. It doesn't do anything to really push the game beyond what they've done before. I'd even say the weapons aren't as good as previous games in the series imo.

It's just a really, really solid game. Not worth 70 pounds for me at all, but I understand that I'm someone who seems to be more against 70 pound games than others.

I would personally advise peeps to get Returnal over this any day of the week.

Let's see. 20 hours to 100% everything with insane levels of polish, pacing, graphical fidelity.

$70 to buy. That's $3.5 dollars per hour.

Easily worth that cost, it is not expensive. I cannot stand padded games like AC:V that are mindless slugfests of derivative, uninteresting gameplay for 100+ hours.

Give me a focused 15-20 hour game any day of the week over that. I do appreciate the rare game that is able to stay its welcome into 30-40+ hour territory though (GOW, BOTW, as examples)

Either way, as my main hobby, I will always buy digital and never regret spending a mere $70 on a polished industry leading experience, whether that is Ratchet or something like Returnal.

buenoblue

Finished the game a couple days ago and thought it was great. Standard performanc mode for me looks so much better than rt performance. I did notice a bug where if you change from performance rt to standard performance the higher res doesn't kick in till you close and restart the game. Looks amazing.

My only negative is I wished they put in some challenging platforming sections to break up the shooting.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Let's see. 20 hours to 100% everything with insane levels of polish, pacing, graphical fidelity.

$70 to buy. That's $3.5 dollars per hour.

Easily worth that cost, it is not expensive. I cannot stand padded games like AC:V that are mindless slugfests of derivative, uninteresting gameplay for 100+ hours.

Give me a focused 15-20 hour game any day of the week over that. I do appreciate the rare game that is able to stay its welcome into 30-40+ hour territory though (GOW, BOTW, as examples)

Either way, as my main hobby, I will always buy digital and never regret spending a mere $70 on a polished industry leading experience, whether that is Ratchet or something like Returnal.
Completely valid, and I do not judge anyone's idea of value. I just think for me 70 pounds is too much for a single player game like this and I love insomniac and ratchet. I would pick miles morales at 50 over this personally.

Like I said great game but I just can't get with these 70 pound games.

nbkicker

Well ive finished my first playthrough, took 10hrs according to ps5 profile , dont no how accurate that is, got all weapons apart from ryno and a lot of side challenges done and most weapons fully upgraded, visially it is a massive step up from the last ps4 game, and ultra fast loading, and good use of the dualsense, but where is the groovatron and sheepinator weapons as they where hillarious in the 2016 version, for me ill prob play through again to get all the trophies but think for me a 8/10 game

benzy

XisYMif.gif

Urban

Hey Guys. Just started the game and played for a couple of hours. The graphics are incredible. Ive never seen something like this before! BUT

I find the Sound is pretty bad or maybe its just my setup?

I got a x900h and a Samsung soundbar. My PS5 runs on Linear PCM or Dolby and the sound effects of the game feel "empty". I tested GoW immediately after with the same setup and configuration and the sound is brilliant on GoW.
I checked every menu and toyed around with the settings but still couldn't find the right settings. Even with the German voiceover its the same(i play on English). They voices are wayyyyyyy to high and "override" every other sound of the game.

Tested my Pulse 3D headsets too and its like the gamesound is come from a far (just like when you speak to somebody on your phone and they are going away from the mic).

Any Ideas?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Just finished at 100%, felt about 2 or 3 worlds short. Had they extended it a bit, and replayed the boring puzzle levels with something else, I could give it a higher score.
Overall a solid 8.5-9. I still enjoy it a lot, hopefully playing through again seems worth it. Do think all new games should be $60, $70 just pushing it......

angelic

Banned
So glad I’ve moved to digital. I get to keep my shit forever. Whenever I get the itch, it’s all right there.

Trading stuff in 😂

You paid full price for a short game to sit on your hdd as a monument.

They got 90% of their money back, and could stil buy digital or disc later for a small amount.

Go you!

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Platinumed yesterday.

I had 100% completion after the first playthrough and just needed to get back to Mrs. Zurkon.

Awesome game! Loved every second. Had two crashes near the end of the game. But it was just the game and not the console.
Could definitely be a bit harder especially in the second playthrough where you can max out all your weapons.

Really keen to see what Insomniac and other first party studios cooking up after i played this game.

nbkicker

Do i need to equip the armor to get the benefit? hate the design from all of them lol.
I played through the whole game and finished it easy enough without the armour , i only put all the armour on just to unlock the trophy then took it all off

Pedro Motta

Did the Platinum yesterday, great game, but it felt really short, played the first time on the hardest difficulty and except 1 or 2 challenges it felt really easy.
Easiest Plat ever also.
No trophy for Omega weapons, so no replay value.
Other than these shortcomings very cool game.

Urban

I played through the whole game and finished it easy enough without the armour , i only put all the armour on just to unlock the trophy then took it all off

its not about "easy enough". I thought i read that even if you didnt put them on, you will still get the passive bonus. I pressed to fast and didnt read the menu/text

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

That's weird. I was doing the arena challenges today and thinking about just how much content there is in the game. Almost every level in the game has an optional side mission, it has open worlds with lots to explore and the campaign doesnt feel short by any means.

I returned returnal even though I agree with you that its a better game, but I dont think I am gonna be trading this one back in. It feels like a true next gen showpiece. Cant wait to play challenge mode on NG+

Moonjt9

Just got the plat along with 100% save file just for fun. The game is piss easy but I’ll be goddamned if it isn’t so fun that I never cared about the difficulty level. Awesome weapons, characters, story, setting, graphics...the list goes on and on. Insomniac knocked it out of the park on this one.

A funny side effect of this game happened to me. I played on performance RT, and of course the game looks and plays amazingly. Seriously CG like at times.

Well after playing for a few hours, I threw on a CG animated movie for my son to watch, and I couldn’t help but notice the judder of the low movie frame rate. That never happened to me before. I chalked it up to Ridt Apart being so damn smooth and Pixar like that it actually kind of ruined CG movies for me now!

Just finished it this afternoon. Thought the length of the main missions was fine but there is hardly any side stuff to do.

The gameplay is very slick. Perfect controls that are really responsive and a good array of fun weapons. Loved melting stuff with the shotgun and the sniper works well with the triggers. The triggers are used really well overall and I hardly used L2 but it can be frustrating when you are trying to spam single shot weapon and the tension hasn't reset so it just ignores your input. I couldn't notice anything special about the haptics apart from the bass in the nightclub in the first level.

The framerate only dropped if I went crazy with the Glove of Doom or whatever it's call and it dropped quite a bit in the final battle but otherwise amazing performance.

I played in performance RT and the IQ isn't that great tbh but I couldn't stand the 30fps so stuck with it. You definitely wouldn't mistake it for a Pixar film in this mode. There is also a big difference in graphical quality between the linear and open levels.

Despite the marketing hype the rifts are totally underutilized and the game could be functionally identical without them. Feels like a proof of concept that they didn't have the time to properly implement - maybe in a follow-up.

I'd say the game overall felt a little safe and the big new feature could be removed and it wouldn't make a difference to how fun the game is. The level design was a bit old fashioned but it didn't really matter as the levels were just a vehicle for delivering you to the awesome set pieces. I didn't hate the puzzle bits like some people seemed to.

For me a 8/10.

Top Bottom